• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Official Trog Bowl Thread

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
Nacua (#12) totally made a bitch move. No question.

But I love that the Ute fan on here just assumes that BYU started the brawl as a result of losing. Meanwhile the video shows BYU players walking off the field and getting hit from behind by several Memphis players. The ESPN commentators (who were terrible in the game, by the way) also said the same thing. And several tweets from national media at the game said the same thing.

But let's just throw out accusations with no support because it's BYU and we don't like them.

Again, #12 embarrassed me. I'm with my very anti-Mormon in-laws and I hung my head in my hands when that happened. But let's all not make any comment about the helmet-swinging and stomping on players on the ground and taking swings at coaches from the Memphis players. Let's focus on the one cheap shot. Because... you know... BYU is full of dirty players. If only we could all be fans of perfect teams that don't have any douche players like Utah.

Give me a break.

Bdub

It doesn't matter who started it, cheap shots in the back of the head, the player ripping the flag out of the fans hand, it's classless.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
You're right. Memphis players stomping Nacua's head with their cleats on is nothing when compared to the evil of a player ripping a flag out of the hands of a taunting fan. What was I thinking?

My comment about who started it was not meant to take away from BYU's role in the melee. Not in any way. But when you make comments on here saying that BYU started it because they're sore losers, then I'm going to refute it. But go ahead and change the subject. Don't accept that you comment was based on your assumption and not in fact. I was wrong. Memphis did nothing wrong. It's just those dirty Mormons who put themselves on pedestals and claim to be perfect.

I'm an idiot. Thanks for helping me see it. Maybe one day I'll be the fan of a better team that curb stomps and throws punches at coaches instead of a dirty team full of idiots who take the flag out of the hands of a fan. What jerks we are!!!

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
bitch-mode-activated.gif

Bdub

You're right. Memphis players stomping Nacua's head with their cleats on is nothing when compared to the evil of a player ripping a flag out of the hands of a taunting fan. What was I thinking?

My comment about who started it was not meant to take away from BYU's role in the melee. Not in any way. But when you make comments on here saying that BYU started it because they're sore losers, then I'm going to refute it. But go ahead and change the subject. Don't accept that you comment was based on your assumption and not in fact. I was wrong. Memphis did nothing wrong. It's just those dirty Mormons who put themselves on pedestals and claim to be perfect.

I'm an idiot. Thanks for helping me see it. Maybe one day I'll be the fan of a better team that curb stomps and throws punches at coaches instead of a dirty team full of idiots who take the flag out of the hands of a fan. What jerks we are!!!
I don't know I saw the Memphis player talking smack and then he got pushed and all hell breaks lose. Blame goes to all involved.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
The footage shows Koroma, BYU's center who had been involved in a lot of stuff throughout the game and I'll admit I didn't like a lot of what he did, walking towards the locker room. He was surrounded by Memphis players jawing at him. Suddenly a Memphis player behind Koroma swung his helmet and hit Koroma who went down. Memphis then jumped on him and several players started throwing punches and one guy started stomping on his legs.

I'm not saying that as a "Well he started it." comment. I stand by my embarrassment for BYU's role and involvement in this. But if you're going to accuse BYU of starting a brawl because they are idiots who are poor losers, then I'll go to the video with the facts as ESPN showed them.

I will stand by the players of my team who were just standing up for themselves, teammates and coaches. I do not stand behind players who did more than that such as Nacua with his sucker punch.

Why are people on here complaining about Mitch Mathews? I could understand not liking Karoma. He let Memphis get to him and was dirty from time to time. But I can't think of a single thing Mathew did that people here could complain about. In fact, he was the classy one ESPN showed after the game going to Memphis players, shaking their hands and saying sorry.

Last edited:

Brick

People are going to hate on BYU, including myself, because they are always portrayed as Saints by the media in every puff piece about any of their players.

When anyone can see just by watching them here and there that they have just as many, if not more, obnoxious douchebags than any other team. They get a pass because they're a bunch of white boys and HONOR CODE.

It's a joke. Enjoy the schaudenfreude right now. Maybe now that they got their asses kicked they'll stop acting like dbags after every decent play. Prolly not doe.

I just wish it was Max Hall getting punched.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
Good job showing a video that doesn't show what preceded that moment. You win. I'm a terrible person who supports the worst school in the world. Maybe next time we win we should follow the losing team to their locker room and taunt them and then call foul when they don't like it. That way we won't be accused of being idiots.

Bdub

Good job showing a video that doesn't show what preceded that moment. You win. I'm a terrible person who supports the worst school in the world. Maybe next time we win we should follow the losing team to their locker room and taunt them and then call foul when they don't like it. That way we won't be accused of being idiots.
I accept ur apology, just don't do it again.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Dear BYU:

Scrap ur Honor Code. It sucks. Like ur football team.

Signed,

The Hachiko.

P.S. hail pulled pork.

gilstein21

Nacua (#12) totally made a bitch move. No question.

And several tweets from national media at the game said the same thing.

like this one, well it's not a tweet but part of an article "The fight appeared to start when BYU lineman Tejan Koroma (No. 56) pushed Memphis’ Martin Ifedi (Mo. 97). Koroma then turns around and Ifedi retaliates with a two-handed blow to Koroma’s head."

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
The Koroma thing is exactly what I see as well. Several Memphis players followed him towards his locker room talking smack. He pushed one of them. Then they retaliated with the helmet hit, knocked him to the ground, and started stomping with the cleats. Koroma was a loose cannon all game (and season). Depending on your feelings about BYU, you either see the smack talk, the push, or the helmet swing as starting it. I'm glad there's no footage that I've seen showing BYU players using their cleats on Memphis players or taking swings at Memphis coaches, though. Yes, lots of douches on this year's BYU team. More than usual. The more I think about it, the less surprised I am that this is how this year ended.

I never realized how much hate was out there for BYU, though. I knew people didn't like us and I know Brick has an outspoken dislike if not hatred of Bronco. But I didn't realize so many Nutopians had such a dislike for my Cougars. It kind of makes me wonder what I'm doing here.

And Hachiko, thanks for your insightful comments. They are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
The Karoma thing is exactly what I see as well. Several Memphis players followed him towards his locker room talking smack. He pushed one of them. Then they retaliated with the helmet this, knocked him to the ground, and started stomping with the cleats. Karoma was a loose cannon all game (and season). Depending on your feelings about BYU, you either see the smack talk, the push, or the helmet swing as starting it. I'm glad there's no footage that I've seen showing BYU players using their cleats on Memphis players or taking swings at Memphis coaches, though. Yes, lots of douches on this year's BYU team. More than usual. The more I think about it, the less surprised I am that this is how this year ended.

I never realized how much hate was out there for BYU, though. I knew people didn't like us and I know Brick has an outspoken dislike if not hatred of Bronco. But I didn't realize so many Nutopians had such a dislike for my Cougars. It kind of makes me wonder what I'm doing here.

And Hachiko, thanks for your insightful comments. They are greatly appreciated.

Embrace the hatred. When people hate you, it generally means you're doing something right.

I didn't see the game or the melee that followed, but I'm guessing that Karoma probably had some exchanges with the Memphis players throughout the course of the game and it finally boiled over at the end.

Douchebags unfortunately seem to make good football players, much of the time.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
I do find it interesting that no one's commenting on the fact that this is the second brawl Memphis has been involved in this year. I think that says a lot about the situation.

Ander1345

I ain't got friends, I got FamILLy
The swinging the helmet makes me pretty mad. Players already spend 3 hours getting basically punched in the head. But this is basically just assault. Also, punching people wearing football helmets with your bare fist seems like a good way to spend the off-season nursing a broken hand.

Ander1345

I do find it interesting that no one's commenting on the fact that this is the second brawl Memphis has been involved in this year. I think that says a lot about the situation.

I think people just want to rag in BYU a lot because of the whole going independent, ND of the west thing despite mediocre records and the whole purity Honor Code thing that a lot of people just see as silly(I'm sort of indifferent though I appreciate the concept). It probably seems even sillier in the wake of the fight. But just keep being you, BYU. Most schools have blemishes now and then it's just always more amusing when it's someone else.

Memphis isn't without blame, it's just kind of unfairly applied. When you haven't had a ten win season in over 60 years it's seen as "spirit" when it's really still inexcusable.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I just wish CSU was even in the game enough to make a brawl seem worthwhile... would love to see some indignant @Bdub defending the trog ute players while I defend the glorious knights of the green and gold.

More footbaw bowl games should end in brawls anyway, fits nicely with the utter pointlessness of bowls.

Ander1345

Bowl gifts are about the only fucking permissible benefits college athletes can get.

You cant give a kid a 500 dollar gift card, but a bowl can.

Plotty

Tath Meacher
Hooray for vacation futbol games

boo it's not until 430 my timed.

hope we are and the fightin doges fight to death.

Gooksta

Its expected from memphis. They are a bunch of thugs and goons

Brick

I don't dislike Bronco Mendenhall. He just looked like a ridiculous hobo in the oversized BAND OF BROS t-shirt he wore that one year.

I DO dislike BYU because of their HOnoR COde reputation despite whenever I see them play, they always look like the cockier/dirtier team out there but they go unquestioned by everyone because they are old and have kids. Bunch of great guys out there just want to get home to their chilrin!