• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Sarknado II - USC Trojans 2015 season.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Surely the next step is to get rid of Haden, right? You really want this guy leading another coaching search? He'll probably rehire Kiffin at this point.

Bdub

USCs arrogance will fuck them in this coaching search just like it did with Lane and like it always has. The best coach they could hope for is currently their coach, but he could win every game by 3 touchdowns and they would still fire him for a "big name" coach.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Surely the next step is to get rid of Haden, right? You really want this guy leading another coaching search? He'll probably rehire Kiffin at this point.

Getting the band back together

Carroll for HC
Norm Chow at OC
Lane Kiffin at QB corch

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
USCs arrogance will fuck them in this coaching search just like it did with Lane and like it always has. The best coach they could hope for is currently their coach, but he could win every game by 3 touchdowns and they would still fire him for a "big name" coach.

I realize you despise SC, but are you really saying the best coach SC could hope to get is Clay Helton? Seriously? A program like SC with its location and piles of money couldn't attract someone better?

Now, there's no guarantee that the search doesn't get all fucked up and we make a stupid hire anyway. :emo: But to assume we can't do better is naive.

Bdub

Also I have nothing at all against USC, I'm not a fan but I definitely don't despise them. ASU and Oregon are much easier to hate than USC.

Brick

I've never really hated USC at all. Fanbase too apathetic for that. Not Oregon State either. Oregon is easily the most hateable fanbase in the Pac-12 IMO. USC fans are at worst the kind of the annoying smug "oh who cares we'll be back in 10 years" type that don't really care if they have bad stretches. Pretty fairweather since "LOL LIVE IN LA OTHER THINGS TO DO".

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
What USC needs to do is to attempt to hire Nick Saban, then, when he declines, go with whoever he recommends. It worked when they tried to hire a guy named Knute Rockne.

TM has a point in that USC can indeed throw a pile of money at whoever comes to LA, and thus should be able to attract a big-name coach. However, a big name coach (and I've heard everyone from Chip Kelly to Jeff Fisher to John Harbaugh - and LOL at all of those guys) might not be the right coach at USC.

If we attract a "big name" with that pile of cash, I'm afraid what we'll get is the aforementioned big name who comes in with a lot of hype, proceeds to go 9-4, 8-5, 9-4, then loses any talented assistants and goes 7-6, then flees to the NFL after the inevitable improper benefits/rape accusations/academic scandal.

Sometimes you just get lucky. John McKay, John Robinson, and Pete Carroll all arrived at the HC position with very little fanfare and a thin (or unimpressive) resume, and proceeded to tear shit up.

EDIT: Which is why I am thinking this is Helton's potential star-making audition.

Brick

I'm sure the dynamic is different with these "little brother lulzz" rivalries, so I won't interject there.

Notre Dame/USC and Miami/Florida State "mutual respect" rivalries are gayer than aids.

nofx94

I'm sure the dynamic is different with these "little brother lulzz" rivalries, so I won't interject there.

Notre Dame/USC and Miami/Florida State "mutual respect" rivalries are gayer than aids.
I hate Notre Dame way more than UCLA. UCLA doesn't get to send their president on equal footing with conference commissioners despite being irrelevant in the national title discussion for most of three decades. That's Notre Same.

Anyway, I think Helton might be the right move. Our offense has been mostly very good, I am a fan of continuity. And I don't think we need the next big name.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
I hate Notre Dame way more than UCLA. UCLA doesn't get to send their president on equal footing with conference commissioners despite being irrelevant in the national title discussion for most of three decades. That's Notre Same.

Anyway, I think Helton might be the right move. Our offense has been mostly very good, I am a fan of continuity. And I don't think we need the next big name.

Helton, though, is a Sark acolyte, of the School of Soft Offensive Football. I like what I'm seeing out of Michigan and Haubaugh's pugnacious style. THAT is the Michigan I grew up watching and liking, and what USC used to be under McKay and Robinson (I was too young to see those teams play).

I was talking to another parent on my son's soccer team who is also an SC guy and he and I agreed that this team (and recent years in general) feel much like the 90's teams; sprinkling of NFL talent at the skill positions, but with a soft O-line, a weak defense that neither excels at defending the run or the pass, and an overall finesse mentality.

PSUEagle

I really have no idea who USC could go after if you want them to play a pro style brand of offense. You'd say NFL guy, but who? Hue Jackson? Jon Gruden?

I honestly have no idea what direction they'll go in when it comes to their HC search. The biggest college name I could see is Sumlin: if A&M loses a few more games he may see that job as one with a glass ceiling he'll never be able to break through.

nofx94

I don't think there's anything wrong with a spread system. We just have to still be willing and able to punch teams in the mouth. Spread to run is a ubiquitous concept these days

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
USC is arguably one of the maybe 3 jobs better than Michigan (Florida, Ohio State). Only thing it doesn't have that Michigan does is a huge alumni base. And I've heard the Coliseum is shitty. But it's in a better recruiting spot, which is huge.

PSUEagle

I've always felt the the best jobs were Texas, USC, and UGA. You can make a strong case for Ohio State or Florida in the third spot, though.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Oh yeah, Texas. Forgot that. Georgia, though? Not sure it's any better than Alabama or LSU.

PSUEagle

Produces the 4th most NFL players of any state with no real in state competition: that's why I put it ahead of LSU and Alabama.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Yeah, UGA has Georgia and Florida to easily recruit from and they have the SEC advantage over their major in state competition.

PSUEagle

Ohio State's the only other job like that, but they still have Michigan who will always be a big time competitor for recruits in their backyard.

Seriously, UGA could be insane with a better coach than Richt.

Bdub

USC is a train wreck right now. I don't see how it's a top 3 job in the country. It can be but it's not right now.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
USC is arguably one of the maybe 3 jobs better than Michigan (Florida, Ohio State). Only thing it doesn't have that Michigan does is a huge alumni base. And I've heard the Coliseum is shitty. But it's in a better recruiting spot, which is huge.

USC doesn't have a large alumni base? Could've fooled me.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Not as big as Michigan's, which was my point. Michigan has over half a million alumni, and I think we are the second biggest alumni group, behind Penn State, in the country.
Okay, but I thought you were under the assumption that USC was a tiny private school like Rice or Notre Dame. USC'S enrollment is something like 25,000 and obviously has been around a very long time. Every place I've worked at or my parents have worked had lots of Trojan alumni.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Okay, but I thought you were under the assumption that USC was a tiny private school like Rice or Notre Dame. USC'S enrollment is something like 25,000 and obviously has been around a very long time. Every place I've worked at or my parents have worked had lots of Trojan alumni.

It's only a slight difference. I don't think USC has the national reach of a school with the huge alumni base of Penn State or Michigan (for example, I don't know any USC alumni here, but I know a decent amount of Penn State alumni). That's really not a big deal for football, though, which is why I still said USC is a better job.

Lightningwar

Administrator
USC is a top destination for any coach imo. Tradition and sharing LA with UCLA and no NFL team has a lot of perks. Plus access to CA for recruiting and much better weather than a Nebraska or Michigan.

bruin

this is a great fucking post.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
USC is a top destination for any coach imo. Tradition and sharing LA with UCLA and no NFL team has a lot of perks. Plus access to CA for recruiting and much better weather than a Nebraska or Michigan.

Plus, our fan base isn't going to stalk you like some of the more football-crazy schools. We expect good results, yes. But you can walk down the street, go out to dinner with your wife, etc., and nobody is going to bother you.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
So who does SC want to get if Helton doesn't work out? Pretty slim pickings if he doesn't.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
No big names, unless they're going to get Sumlin like @PSUEagle said, which seems unlikely to me. His alma mater is about to open up and if he doesn't want to leave for there, he probably won't want to leave A&M. The biggest up and comer is Fuente, who seems to me like a guy who wants to stay in the South so he'll probably go to SCar, Miami, UVA, or somewhere else that pops open. The other big up and comers like Herman, Babers, and Fleck don't have significant enough resumes yet to get a job at somewhere like SC and will probably be snapped up by programs like Illinois more willing to take risks. There are some really good jobs out there this offseason that don't have nearly the amount of pressure or turmoil surrounding SC.