• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

The Accounting Class

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
@Travis7401 Here's my situation

UXQ3Iab.png

So idk why in 2048 they said I made that much money, I definitely didn't. it was around $20M from the playoffs. I remember giving a lot of money to schauwn and barely being able to sign my draft picks.

Anyway 2048 107-55 and 2049 I was 100-63

osick87

Community Liaison
Don't post my shit. How am I supposed to get proper trade value now?

I will be able to cut that 7.5 mil down so that will help. Non tendering everyone but Barajas will save me 5.3 mil. I can also trim some of the fat on the 40 man. Plus messing around with Scout and Dev and I should at least be close.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
@OU11 you made $34.4M last season and your balance ended at $44.5 which I assume means you had roughly $10M in the "bank" before that. Your owner is projecting an end of the year balance of $26.7M, which would mean he's projecting a loss of $17.8M next year, basically. To me that means he's projecting you make the playoffs and get bounced in the first round, which would result in about $17M less in revenue. With a "neutral" goal, he's probably not expecting a shampionship and therefore isn't betting on that excess playoff revenue.

I still think ur the anomaly doe.

Wat. It isn't a loss. Also the bank is your cash. He is projecting I make $26M this year while keeping my $10M in cash to end at $36M. So this year I have "debt coverage" of 1.18, while last year I was at 1.20. So he is projecting I make 18% instead of 20% on his investment. I think he is trying to keep that where it's at because unless my attendance goes up he can't make any more money off of me. I won the shampship, that playoff revenue is the most I can get.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Don't post my shit. How am I supposed to get proper trade value now?

I will be able to cut that 7.5 mil down so that will help. Non tendering everyone but Barajas will save me 5.3 mil. I can also trim some of the fat on the 40 man. Plus messing around with Scout and Dev and I should at least be close.

Wait, not everyone can see those? I forget what screens are private since I haven't been a pleb in years

osick87

Community Liaison
If it turns out people can then sorry.

It's also not like I would have given guys up at a discount anyways.

osick87

Community Liaison
Like Travis said in our gchat,

Doesn't take a rocket appliance to see that a team with a 152m budget and a 138m payroll may be in trouble.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
If one more person uses the wrong nomenclature for money I'm going to lose my mind. Tell me more about your team that only made fifty dollars instead of fifty million

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Mine jumped $16mm, keep in mind though that from 48 to 49 I actually sunk $38mm my first year of tanking. (I was also over budget this year so it was a double whammy) My team didn't get any better or anything so I'm guessing it's a combination of attendance and the gigantic profit I made for my owner (whose current goal is 'make a profit')

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I think a good starting point would be having at least one person actually understand how our league financial situation works instead of just making assumptions about it. I mean just today I figured out how budgets are set for the next year. This is a pretty important thing to understand and nobody knew.

To me, there is something funky going on with the balance situation where teams who behaved in a fiscally responsible manner are actually being punished (not just capped). I'm honestly fine with a cap on how much money you can carry over from year to year. What I don't want is the situation like now where the riggers actually were punished by being given the LOWEST starting balance in the league despite being given revenue sharing. How does this work? Why did I end up with the lowest starting balance of any team (which affects my Free agency monies).

[xtable=skin1]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td} {/td}
{td}2049{/td}
{td}2050{/td}
{td}2050{/td}
{td}2050{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td} {/td}
{td}End Balance{/td}
{td}Revenue Sharing{/td}
{td}Cash{/td}
{td}Start Balance{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Amsterdam Tulips{/td}
{td}$44,449,269{/td}
{td}($11,370,108){/td}
{td}$10,000,000{/td}
{td}$36,000,000{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Berlin Bomber Bears{/td}
{td}$28,346,722{/td}
{td}$2,435,796{/td}
{td}$10,000,000{/td}
{td}$36,000,000{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Buenos Aires Gauchos{/td}
{td}$25,013,084{/td}
{td}($6,309,339){/td}
{td}$10,000,000{/td}
{td}$36,000,000{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Buffalo Murricans{/td}
{td}$12,111,292{/td}
{td}($2,117,176){/td}
{td}$9,994,116{/td}
{td}$48,994,116{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Cairo Tutankhamuns{/td}
{td}$8,804,404{/td}
{td}($2,752,174){/td}
{td}$6,052,230{/td}
{td}$37,052,230{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Dublin Distillers{/td}
{td}$13,266,702{/td}
{td}$9,153,878{/td}
{td}$10,000,000{/td}
{td}$35,000,000{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}False Bay Flying Whites{/td}
{td}$28,766,222{/td}
{td}($6,694,828){/td}
{td}$10,000,000{/td}
{td}$54,000,000{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Helsingborg Hammers{/td}
{td}$12,679,627{/td}
{td}($2,548,870){/td}
{td}$10,000,000{/td}
{td}$43,930,757{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Istanbul Ottomans{/td}
{td}$64,706,104{/td}
{td}$2,242,098{/td}
{td}$10,000,000{/td}
{td}$47,000,000{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Kabul Bulls{/td}
{td}$69,770,897{/td}
{td}($6,106,283){/td}
{td}$10,000,000{/td}
{td}$39,800,000{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Key West Pirates{/td}
{td}$38,748,434{/td}
{td}$5,103,641{/td}
{td}$10,000,000{/td}
{td}$35,000,000{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Las Vegas Pac Men{/td}
{td}$12,905,949{/td}
{td}($6,207,472){/td}
{td}$6,698,477{/td}
{td}$38,498,477{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Lisbon Conquistadors{/td}
{td}$1,597,224{/td}
{td}$8,870,151{/td}
{td}$10,000,000{/td}
{td}$42,000,000{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Little Rock Miners{/td}
{td}($1,822,981){/td}
{td}$11,275,310{/td}
{td}$9,452,329{/td}
{td}$37,452,329{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Moscow Mules{/td}
{td}$40,544,845{/td}
{td}($4,373,888){/td}
{td}$10,000,000{/td}
{td}$40,000,000{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}North Dakota Riggers{/td}
{td}$44,558,032{/td}
{td}$5,637,873{/td}
{td}$10,000,000{/td}
{td}$27,000,000{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}San Francisco Tanners{/td}
{td}$17,937,749{/td}
{td}$7,495,237{/td}
{td}$10,000,000{/td}
{td}$35,000,000{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Seoul Glow{/td}
{td}$12,851,571{/td}
{td}($3,733,852){/td}
{td}$9,117,719{/td}
{td}$41,117,719{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
So I ended the 2049 year with a larger balance than the Flying Whites, received revenue sharing money when they had to pay revenue sharing and yet they start with double the 2050 balance? Why? It seems like their owner put in +$22M?

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Nobody knew because we just finished our second season with this new system. It is based solely on revenue now it looks like, unless you run a huge deficit and lose a bunch of money. nobody has quite done that yet so when that happens we'll know. Back in the day I'd test all these cases to see how the game would react but I don't want to do that. You can for sure though.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I just want to know what piece of the Cash/Balance puzzle I'm missing that had such a punitive effect on my starting balance, whereas a team like False Bay started with literally double my balance. That makes a huge difference in Free agent/IFA money.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I'm going to need you to actually read my posts if we're going to do this too. I told you exactly how you had the lowest starting balance. It is the easiest thing in the world to calculate and using False Bay is stupid because you spend $30M on scouting and dev while he spends $7M.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I just want to know what piece of the Cash/Balance puzzle I'm missing that had such a punitive effect on my starting balance, whereas a team like False Bay started with literally double my balance. That makes a huge difference in Free agent/IFA money.

I already told you.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Starting balance before anything happens is
Cash
+Money to cover misc. player expenses
Starting Balance
+ Revenue (first day of off-season this is only media)
- Exenses (first day of off-season this is only scouting/dev)
- misc. player expenses
Total Balance
-cash
Season Profit/Loss

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
What you don't understand is that I can't see False Bay's report. All I can see is what I've listed.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
What you don't understand is that I can't see False Bay's report. All I can see is what I've listed.

But what you can't understand is I told you FB's numbers.

going from the above post (rounding)

10M
+3.25M
=13.25M
+51M
-7M
-3.25M

=54M
-10M (cash)
=44M p/l

The 54M and 44M are flipped in game

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I think we need another year of data. Are we thinking it's revenue before playoffs? So basically guaranteed revenue?

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I think we need another year of data. Are we thinking it's revenue before playoffs? So basically guaranteed revenue?

Yes, playoffs don't count. Check out travis' post and the budget associated with guaranteed revenue

dirt

Trolltalitarian
shouldn't you be busy drafting the next pitching sensation from the Japanese minors?

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I'll post my numbers because I don't care. Go through and add subtract expenses and revenue and it is plain as day what is going on. It is the same for every team, if you can't see the numbers of other teams and they are starting way higher than you just know that it is because their revenues are higher and their expenses are lower. Once the season starts that will change dramatically because of payroll

jzgxequ.png

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Also @Travis7401. You have 46M to spend on IFA/FA, False Bay has $36M despite their exorbitantly higher budget. Why? They make more than you and they pay more than you, but they still have a gap between projected revenues and expenses of $36M. Why? Because their payroll is $130, their other expenses are $7, and their draft budget is probably $5.25

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
You can post mine too OU, I have the easiest too understand I think since my expenses are so low

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
@Mr. Radpants and @ZackMills if I did up revenue sharing it wouldn't help your budgets now since it is only based on revenue. The revenue sharing brings your cash up (so you can operate at a loss during the year and still come out even) and if it goes above your cash the owner takes it.

@Travis7401 that's another point you're missing. To keep myself solvent I have to make enough money to cover my tax. This year it was $12M~. So if I use my cash I have to make 22M~ over.

If a upper budget team uses their $10M they have to either completely blow away revenue projections in the regular season or they need to make it to game 7 of the world series.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
For comparison I lost like 60mm in cash to my owner, no worries

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Now I must go back to my real accounting class, if you parse through that and figure out a better way to do things I'm all ears. I had a very good understanding of how this works, 16 changed the budget situation so I didn't know exactly the cause from one year on the game. Now I can be reasonably certain how budgets act and I am back to understanding the accounting side fully.

I know exactly how budgets move again, and I've always known where the money went and why. I've explained everything in the past few posts so if you have an idea shoot it over and we can talk about it. You need to understand all of this first though

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I just hope you guys realize what this means, lol.

So do you understand everything and how it works? To my knowledge, we can't change what budget is based on. Start from there, what do I do to make it work how you want?

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Me and OU do at least so don't worry, it's really just simple subtraction and/or addition

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
We could bring back owners into the budget process, right now it is set to entire revenue available. If we do that budgets won't be controlled as much since it is at the whim of your owner. I can change every owner's fiscal rating, but again that will still benefit the top teams who make a lot more money.

The only way to do what you want, travis, is to unleash the cash. If we do that I hope you realize what that means.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I don't want to fully unleash the cash, I'm just saying that having it capped the way it is means that everyone basically almost always starts off with the same amount regardless of their previous season's financial situation and that's kinda dumb. Unless you run deficits for a bunch of years and receive no revenue sharing, you'r getting that $10M cash.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
If we had unlimited cash I would have a 150m budget for FA just this year, by the time is be ready to compete I could have a 250m payroll.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I'm okay exploiting whatever system you guys want, just don't get mad at me when I do. I already flushed a year of my plan, but that's okay.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
As it stands, Yankee and I received nothing from revenue sharing, for instance, because we already had more than the $10M max cash so our owner just took it. Is that how we want this to work?

osick87

Community Liaison
Is that what Cash from Owner means? Sorry I've been busy paying attention to NHL FA and don't want to wade through the massive amounts of text.

If so Holy shit my owner took 40 mil in 2048.