• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Warm Butts and Merry-Go-Rounds - Corches Hot Seat/ Coaching Carousel

Random Announcement: I will be appearing on the Wharton Moneyball show on Sirius Sattelite radio's Business Radio channel (#111) tomorrow morning at 8:30 AM EST to talk about college football. I did some pretty geeky college football statistics/data analysis about a year ago and wrote a series of articles that appeared in a number of sports blogs. Out of the blue the producers called me up and asked me to appear to talk about evaluating coaching performances.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Random Announcement: I will be appearing on the Wharton Moneyball show on Sirius Sattelite radio's Business Radio channel (#111) tomorrow morning at 8:30 AM EST to talk about college football. I did some pretty geeky college football statistics/data analysis about a year ago and wrote a series of articles that appeared in a number of sports blogs. Out of the blue the producers called me up and asked me to appear to talk about evaluating coaching performances.

That's pretty cool. Do you have a link to the analysis?

bruin228

NCAA Moderator

I saw your user name linked to an article on Mike Riley the other day and was going to ask if that was you.

I saw your user name linked to an article on Mike Riley the other day and was going to ask if that was you.

That's pretty cool. Do you have a link to the analysis?

Here is the page that has links to all of the stuff I have written on various SB Nation Sites:
http://www.sbnation.com/users/RedmondLonghorn/blog

And here are the most interesting ones:

Apparent Talent, Team Quality and Coaching Effects
http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2013/8/19/4635732/college-football-apparent-talent-coaching-effects

Apparent Talent, Team Quality & Coaching Effects: Part Deux
http://www.footballstudyhall.com/20...alent-team-quality-coaching-effects-part-deux

Where do college football players come from?
http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2013/9/11/4718442/college-football-state-texas-california-florida

College Football Tempo: (R)Evolution in Pace of Play
http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2013/9/24/4753608/college-football-tempo-pace

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Yeah I noticed @RedmondLonghorn's name coming up on some Mike Riley stuff. Was nice to see some outside statistical analysis of Riley, all the stuff that is getting spewed right now is either bitter Oregon State fans who wanted him fired for years or bitter Nebraska fans who are like "who the fuck is this guy?"

Most Nebraska fans are absolutely freaking out that this is going to be the worst of Callahan (pro-style bullshit) and Pelini (only hiring his friends) combined. I'm content with the hire but certainly have my doubts, especially offensively. I'm still holding out hope that he hires a high profile(ish) offensive coordinator but the defensive hires have me underwhelmed at best.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
For serious, read through the first two, and that was pretty interesting. There's a guy on mgoblog, mathlete, that does similar things that are really interesting.

It was also interesting how dickrod had both one of the best seasons and one of the worst seasons.

Yeah I noticed @RedmondLonghorn's name coming up on some Mike Riley stuff. Was nice to see some outside statistical analysis of Riley, all the stuff that is getting spewed right now is either bitter Oregon State fans who wanted him fired for years or bitter Nebraska fans who are like "who the fuck is this guy?"

Most Nebraska fans are absolutely freaking out that this is going to be the worst of Callahan (pro-style bullshit) and Pelini (only hiring his friends) combined. I'm content with the hire but certainly have my doubts, especially offensively. I'm still holding out hope that he hires a high profile(ish) offensive coordinator but the defensive hires have me underwhelmed at best.

If I were to refresh my analysis on Coaching Effects, it would be fair to say that the last two seasons have been fairly unkind to Riley. The same could be said of Bielema and Gundy (to a slightly lesser extent).

For serious, read through the first two, and that was pretty interesting. There's a guy on mgoblog, mathlete, that does similar things that are really interesting.

It was also interesting how dickrod had both one of the best seasons and one of the worst seasons.

Rich Rod has more than one of the best and more than one of the worst, if memory serves.

Craig7835

Who did Riley hire as the DC? Plus I can't see the Huskers running a 3-4 defense.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Who did Riley hire as the DC? Plus I can't see the Huskers running a 3-4 defense.

He hired his long-time DC at OSU Mark Banker. Kind of surprising considering some of the high quality defensive minds out there without jobs, and some others with lesser jobs, but he's coached with Banker forever so not really surprising. We'll still be 4-3, fits best with the personnel and it is what Riley/Banker have been running for a while.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Well contrary to popular belief you can't just hire whoever you want. How do you know the high profile guys didn't turn him down?

It figures that Banker would be a package with him. Pretty sure they go WAY back.

I don't think Banker is bad. When they have had good personnel, they have had some nasty defenses.

I don't think you can underestimate how challenged they have been from a talent/recruiting perspective. Other than WSU, it is the toughest place to recruit in the Pac-12.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Well contrary to popular belief you can't just hire whoever you want. How do you know the high profile guys didn't turn him down?

Because Nebraska recruits have confirmed with the media that Banker has been contacting them as DC for the last few days and OSU media reported Banker was likely going with Riley the day it was announced. I think most Nebraska fans were just hoping it wasn't true.

Like Redmond said, Banker was never not the choice. They've been together for the majority of their respective careers. The only other name tied to Nebraska directly was Kevin Steele, who was apparently contacted indirectly but considering Riley hired a LB coach the day he was hired, I can't imagine much was going to happen there.

I'm fine with the Banker hire, he runs a similar enough defense to Pelini that there won't be a ton of learning time but it seems to be far more aggressive than anything Pelini has done which is a nice change of pace.

Football Scoop says that Bo Pelini will be the next HC at Youngstown State.

He is from that shithole (along with the Stoopses), so it makes sense.

I guess exposure to Rust Belt despair during the developmental years causes one to grow up to be a raging asshole.

Last edited:

Iron

Everyone just misheard the "sources" last week about Tressel going to Nebraska, they meant Pelini to YSU.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Everyone just misheard the "sources" last week about Tressel going to Nebraska, they meant Pelini to YSU.

Jim Tressel to Nebraska........ to interview raging maniac head coach to return to shitty Ohio town to corch shitty Ohio team.

Seriously though, good for him. I always got the sense that he hated it at Nebraska and would be better off somewhere with less stress and expectations. I hope he does well.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator

I don't find Gil Brandt to be all that credible though so take that for what it is worth. He made the exact same tweet but with Bielema and Nebraska before everyone involved denied that the two sides ever spoke.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
:laughing: We didn't offer him the job. We're not offering anybody the job until we hear a no from Harbaugh. And, come on, he's not going to stay at Duke instead of Michigan.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
:laughing: We didn't offer him the job. We're not offering anybody the job until we hear a no from Harbaugh. And, come on, he's not going to stay at Duke instead of Michigan.

Gil Brandt strikes me as the type of old timer that people throw bad information at and laugh to themselves when he reports it as news.

Iron

I could see it being true. Why would he want to leave Duke? No pressure. I'm sure Duke is happy with just making a bowl each year.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Maybe Michigan's search firm contacted him, and he said he wasn't interested. But there is exactly a zero percent chance Michigan actually offered him the job.

R2D2

Even if he was hired, it wouldn't be bad for Michigan. Dude did pretty well at Ole Miss, and basically resurrected a Duke football program that before didn't even exist.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Even if he was hired, it wouldn't be bad for Michigan. Dude did pretty well at Ole Miss, and basically resurrected a Duke football program that before didn't even exist.

Yeah, I'd take him in a heartbeat. Possible back-to-back 10 win seasons at Duke? Yes please.

It was fun being on, but I probably talked too much.

What the actual fuck is he thinking?

I had heard rumors that Andersen wanted to run a spread offense, like he did at Utah State, but Alvarez basically wouldn't let him.

I doubt he would leave over that one issue issue, but maybe it is emblematic of ol' Barry being a little too hands on.

And yeah, this is better than the best case scenario for Oregon State.

R2D2

Oregon State has had the best off-season so far, lol. Lost an average coach, and gained a home run hire.

Ander1345

I ain't got friends, I got FamILLy
This is freaking hilarious.

I've always felt like coaching under AD's who were coaches would make the job even more stressful than it should be. If they want to find a patsy to be the AD's yes man, find someone already at the school.