• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Mongmittee Thread

Brick

Who fucking cares where anyone is at this point? I don't understand why you tards fall for this week after week. A lot of those teams in the top 10 are going to play each other and it will all work itself out. If Oregon wins out they are in. Same can be said for miss st, bama, fsu, asu and either TCU/Baylor.
it's caring about the process. if they are making these mistakes now, they'll be present in the final four.

yes, it is absolutely ridiculous for alabama fans to whine about their spot when if they beat miss state they will probably jump to #1. their spot is irrelevant right now.

tcu and baylor don't play each other again. if both win out, they aren't both in. florida state does not play another contender. neither does ohio state, or tcu or baylor.

and actually no, most of these teams do not play each other. the only matchups between the top teams are alabama/msu and oregon/arizona state

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Yeah but it's still gonna work itself out. Nobody is going to complain about bama/msu, asu/Oregon, fsu, TCU/Baylor. TCU baylor fans can have a nice argument but hell Baylor won head to head seems easy to me. Now if all the teams lose more games then its a cluster and we can see how they handle it.

i just feel like this final four thing has added a lot of excitement to some of these games and I have zero complaints.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
They have one loss and if they win out beating bear down and brick in the pac 12 game they are in the playoff.

Lightningwar

Administrator
Meh for me I find it annoying to read about how a close win is worse than a loss. And how the Noles which replaced their backfield and recieving corps with freshman isnt winning by 40, so they should be criticized. Ill take 13 wins by a grand total of 13 points over 12 wins, and a single loss any day of the week. And yes I also admitted it shouldnt matter if we win out.

Wooly

I'm not too worked up about Nebraska's ranking, although I agree it is absurd. Most of the teams above us have just as much of a stake to their spot as we would. We have no track record of success, no defining win and a pretty mediocre strength of schedule. If we win out and beat an 11-1 Ohio State team, we'll be in the discussion. Attrition should take care of at least 4-5 teams ahead of us.

Of course, if we get steamrolled by Wisconsin it doesn't matter a whole lot.

This is all true. I am not expecting a win at Wiscy, so I am not worked up about a final outcome. I bothered that the committee dropped Nebraska 4 spots on a week they didn't play, which makes it all the harder to climb if they do keep winning. It's pretty damn hard to break into the top 7-8 and be in the discussion for a playoff spot if you drop 4 spots for not playing, meanwhile a higher ranked team loses to a good school and may not even drop four spots. That is an incumbency racket, but that is CFB. I should add that traditionally Nebraska has been the beneficiary of that racket, so maybe Nebraska should accept the universe evening things out.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
This is all true. I am not expecting a win at Wiscy, so I am not worked up about a final outcome. I bothered that the committee dropped Nebraska 4 spots on a week they didn't play, which makes it all the harder to climb if they do keep winning. It's pretty damn hard to break into the top 7-8 and be in the discussion for a playoff spot if you drop 4 spots for not playing, meanwhile a higher ranked team loses to a good school and may not even drop four spots. That is an incumbency racket, but that is CFB. I should add that traditionally Nebraska has been the beneficiary of that racket, so maybe Nebraska should accept the universe evening things out.

Yes we have. I am not fond of anyone dropping in a bye week, especially the circumstances this week. The teams that jumped us got pretty excessive boosts for beating really bad teams. The only part of Nebraska's ranking that really gets to me is how we are behind a 2 loss Georgia team that lost to Florida and South Carolina. That Georgia team has no business being in the top 15. The rest, eh, I can see it from their angle and could understand their rankings.

Now, if we beat Wisconsin and they only move us up to 12 or so, then I think questions should be asked. Only getting to 12 after a Wisconsin win would make it nearly impossible to get into the Top 4 even if we win out. Barring chaos elsewhere of course. Hopefully things shake out but I get the feeling at least 1, maybe 2 schools are going to get shafted by the committee.

ZeekLTK

I think Nebraska dropped because Michigan State dropped. I think if we'd beaten Ohio State then they wouldn't have dropped at all. But Nebraska has basically only played one good team all year and they lost - the team they lost to dropped, so Nebraska dropped too. Beat Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Ohio State and you'll have a legit chance to climb back up, especially if Ohio State is like #4 or something by the time you play them.

If Ohio State, Michigan State, and Nebraska all win out and then the conference championship game is like #4 Ohio State vs #7 Nebraska or something, the winner is definitely getting into the playoffs. How are they going to keep out a 1-loss Nebraska, whose only loss was to like the #10 team or so and who beat a top 5 Ohio State?

Wooly

I think Nebraska dropped because Michigan State dropped. I think if we'd beaten Ohio State then they wouldn't have dropped at all. But Nebraska has basically only played one good team all year and they lost - the team they lost to dropped, so Nebraska dropped too. Beat Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Ohio State and you'll have a legit chance to climb back up, especially if Ohio State is like #4 or something by the time you play them.

If Ohio State, Michigan State, and Nebraska all win out and then the conference championship game is like #4 Ohio State vs #7 Nebraska or something, the winner is definitely getting into the playoffs. How are they going to keep out a 1-loss Nebraska, whose only loss was to like the #10 team or so and who beat a top 5 Ohio State?

If that is true consider this, FSU dropped one spot after Notre Dame lost this weekend, while Nebraska dropped four spots after Mich St. lost this weekend. Both teams lost to quality ranked opponents. FSU also didn't play particularly well last weekend against a non-ranked team (I have heard, I didn't see it), while Oregon beat a ranked team. FSU dropping one spot (or Oregon jumping a spot depending on how you want to see it) may have more to do with that than Notre Dame losing. Either way, FSU dropped only one spot after both of those scenarios. Nebraska dropped 4 spots without even playing. I demand justice for Treon!

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator

That's true, I hope they aren't just looking at current rankings when judging strength of wins/losses though. Oregon lost to an Arizona team they were favored over by 4 scores, Oregon just happened to luck out that Arizona ended up good. If Nebraska's only loss was to a really tough Michigan State squad, but Michigan State happens to drop down because of other tough losses, that should be weighed. As should teams like Ohio State, Nebraska (or TCU for that matter) for beating Minnesota despite Minnesota's record inevitably sinking from 2 losses to 4. I guess what I'm saying is strength at the time of the game should be weighed evenly with overall strength as the season went on.

If the Big Ten puts 2 11-1 teams in the Big Ten Championship, it'll be very hard for the committee to keep them out. I still think they could, especially in the scenario I had used a few pages back, but I doubt it would happen. If you have 13-0 FSU, 12-1 Oregon, 12-1 SEC, 11-1 SEC, I don't think it'll matter much what the Big Ten or Big 12 do. But if the options are between 12-1 Big Ten, 11-2 or 12-2 SEC and 11-1 Big 12, I think the Big Ten slips in there. The best thing that can happen for the Big Ten is for all 3 of those teams you mentioned to win out.

Lightningwar

Administrator
If that is true consider this, FSU dropped one spot after Notre Dame lost this weekend, while Nebraska dropped four spots after Mich St. lost this weekend. Both teams lost to quality ranked opponents. FSU also didn't play particularly well last weekend against a non-ranked team (I have heard, I didn't see it), while Oregon beat a ranked team. FSU dropping one spot (or Oregon jumping a spot depending on how you want to see it) may have more to do with that than Notre Dame losing. Either way, FSU dropped only one spot after both of those scenarios. Nebraska dropped 4 spots without even playing. I demand justice for Treon!

They played ok. 3 turnovers allowed UVA to score. Otherwise the D played pretty decent allowing only 254 yard of total offense. And we could had put in another TD at the end but kneeled instead.

Dr. Shats Basoon

Closed mouths don't get fed
B2BpAnHCUAAdloX.png:large

Week-10-BCS-Standings-e1415717334205.png

Last edited:

Brick

i'm thinking the same. outside of maybe #3/4 switching.

if oregon makes the playoff i'm hoping they look like shit so they drop to #4, and the sugar bowl.

then i can not go because i have no money.

Wooly

i'm thinking the same. outside of maybe #3/4 switching.

if oregon makes the playoff i'm hoping they look like shit so they drop to #4, and the sugar bowl.

then i can not go because i have no money.

If they win you can still riot and burn things outside the stadium though. That's what the poor folk do.

Mame YO

slings rocks
@Brick

consider this: if Oregon and bama win out we might finally get that matchup, but I think that if that happens that Oregon is an underdog - and unlikely to win the championship this season (with FSU being the biggest threat other than bama IMO).

So, would you rather root for the bama v. Oregon matchup possibility? Or would you hope bama gets knocked out so oregon can avoid them? If bama got knocked (root for auburn in the iron bowl?!), it'd have the added advantage of likely giving Oregon the 1v4 matchup in the semi against maybe a big12 team or msst... What do you think?

At the beginning of the season I felt like Oregon really had no serious chance at a title this year, but every team is flawed. With the right matchups and some luck, I think it's possible... But Bama obviously seems like the toughest matchup.

Bucksin04

A scenario exists where Ole Miss wins the Egg Bowl, Auburn wins the Iron Bowl, and Mizzou (who lost to Indiana earlier in the year) wins the SEC title game where the SEC would get zero teams into the playoff.

Brick

@Brick

consider this: if Oregon and bama win out we might finally get that matchup, but I think that if that happens that Oregon is an underdog - and unlikely to win the championship this season (with FSU being the biggest threat other than bama IMO).

So, would you rather root for the bama v. Oregon matchup possibility? Or would you hope bama gets knocked out so oregon can avoid them? If bama got knocked (root for auburn in the iron bowl?!), it'd have the added advantage of likely giving Oregon the 1v4 matchup in the semi against maybe a big12 team or msst... What do you think?

At the beginning of the season I felt like Oregon really had no serious chance at a title this year, but every team is flawed. With the right matchups and some luck, I think it's possible... But Bama obviously seems like the toughest matchup.
i would not want to play alabama in the sugar bowl. basically a home game.

not that oregon fans would outnumber alabama in the rose bowl (they would certainly not), but the sugar bowl would be tough.

i would love to play mississippi state. they're meh. but they won't make the playoff. they will lose to ole miss i bet.

Renegade

Charge on!
Marshall if they win out. If Marshall drops this week's game at UAB, which definitely can beat them, them Boise assuming they win out. If Boise drops the game to Utah State, then Colorado State if they win out. If Marshall loses a game, either UAB or La Tech in the CUSA-CCG, and Boise drops the MWC-CCG, then all hell breaks loose. It's too bad O'Leary can't prepare his team for cold weather, because if that chaos broke out, UCF would have been in prime position, but no way we get it with that UConn loss on the record.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Because of the selection process for the other "New Years' Six" bowl games.

-YTC

Okay. That's two more games. 4 more teams. 8 total. Can still use a top 10 poll. Then list who "highest ranked group of 5 team" is if they fall outside the top 10.

But then, I realize, the ESPN echo chamber would have nothing to talk about on Wednesday-GameDay Saturday AM

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Okay. That's two more games. 4 more teams. 8 total. Can still use a top 10 poll. Then list who "highest ranked group of 5 team" is if they fall outside the top 10.

But then, I realize, the ESPN echo chamber would have nothing to talk about on Wednesday-GameDay Saturday AM

It's not that simple. It relates to the rule that if a conference loses their champion to the playoff then the next highest ranked team from the conference is the replacement. For example, if Flazzu goes to the CFP, then the next highest ranked ACC team would go to their designated spot in the Orange Bowl. Lawd knows that no other ACC team would sniff a top 10 ranking, so that is why they are ranking through 25.

-YTC

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
It's not that simple. It relates to the rule that if a conference loses their champion to the playoff then the next highest ranked team from the conference is the replacement. For example, if Flazzu goes to the CFP, then the next highest ranked ACC team would go to their designated spot in the Orange Bowl. Lawd knows that no other ACC team would sniff a top 10 ranking, so that is why they are ranking through 25.

-YTC

Let the non-playoff bowls go back to a old-school bowl invite system to create the best matchup for their bowl.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I hate the idea of expanded playoffs without the guarantee that all undefeated teams are automatically included. If you go undefeated, you deserve the chance to play for a championship. Otherwise what is the fucking point of even having playoffs?