• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Mongmittee Thread

Dr. Shats Basoon

Closed mouths don't get fed
@bruin228
1) find me where I said Nebraska would beat either of those teams

FWIW, I think Nebraska could beat either one but id say it is highly unlikely

2) they didn't lose and it was a couple months ago, no one cares now so shut up about that game

3) FU

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
No, Nebraska's odds at finishing 11-1 or 12-1 or slim at best. We will know a lot more after this weekend but I don't think Nebraska gets out of this week with a W. My example was purely a hypothetical based on the following situation: 13-0 FSU and 12-1 Oregon are 1 and 2. Let's say Mississippi State beats Bama, loses to Ole Miss. MSU wins the SEC, Ole Miss finishes 10-2 with wins over Alabama and Mississippi State. Thanks to attrition and that win over MSU the final week of the year, Ole Miss would have no problem jumping up to the top 5. Big Ten and Big 12 Champions finish 12-1 and 11-1 respectively. What happens?

Wooly

No, Nebraska's odds at finishing 11-1 or 12-1 or slim at best. We will know a lot more after this weekend but I don't think Nebraska gets out of this week with a W. My example was purely a hypothetical based on the following situation: 13-0 FSU and 12-1 Oregon are 1 and 2. Let's say Mississippi State beats Bama, loses to Ole Miss. MSU wins the SEC, Ole Miss finishes 10-2 with wins over Alabama and Mississippi State. Thanks to attrition and that win over MSU the final week of the year, Ole Miss would have no problem jumping up to the top 5. Big Ten and Big 12 Champions finish 12-1 and 11-1 respectively. What happens?

Part of me wants to see it happen, because I want to see how the politics shapes up, and we might get to see who has what muscle now in CFB. What will Delaney do if a 1 loss B1G team is left out and either 1) two SEC teams get in, or 2) a non-brand name school like TCU or Baylor gets in? The old CFA might have dissolved years ago, but we have seen the B1G and PAC work together several times even in the last decade. Do they have the muscle to force ESPN and the SEC to give them an almost automatic spot, like the SEC has? Brock sucks. Will this whole playoff thing fall apart unless the top three conferences, in terms of power, are all appeased with something akin to an auto-bid (even if it's just a handshake). If the SEC gets too much favoritism, what will the other conferences do? What would Jesus do? Is the ESPN/SEC marriage now so powerful and profitable that they can force their way with all the other conferences, or does the B1G still have the ability to call ESPNs bluff and win a negotiation, like it did with with the creation of the B1G Ten Network. The question of the balance of power in CFB is probably the most relevant and interesting question in CFB today, and I think the playoff system will probably be the most public way to observe it. How much do you want to bet that the playoff committee will be changing ever season to reflect the fight behind the scenes between the power conferences. I am sure their selection is something akin to a jury selection.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Part of me wants to see it happen, because I want to see how the politics shapes up, and we might get to see who has what muscle now in CFB. What will Delaney do if a 1 loss B1G team is left out and either 1) two SEC teams get in, or 2) a non-brand name school like TCU or Baylor gets in? The old CFA might have dissolved years ago, but we have seen the B1G and PAC work together several times even in the last decade. Do they have the muscle to force ESPN and the SEC to give them an almost automatic spot, like the SEC has? Brock sucks. Will this whole playoff thing fall apart unless the top three conferences, in terms of power, are all appeased with something akin to an auto-bid (even if it's just a handshake). If the SEC gets too much favoritism, what will the other conferences do? What would Jesus do? Is the ESPN/SEC marriage now so powerful and profitable that they can force their way with all the other conferences, or does the B1G still have the ability to call ESPNs bluff and win a negotiation, like it did with with the creation of the B1G Ten Network. The question of the balance of power in CFB is probably the most relevant and interesting question in CFB today, and I think the playoff system will probably be the most public way to observe it. How much do you want to bet that the playoff committee will be changing ever season to reflect the fight behind the scenes between the power conferences. I am sure their selection is something akin to a jury selection.

I enjoy this randomly thrown in

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator

I really want to see it happen too. I really want one or both Big 12 schools to finish 11-1 and Ohio State and Nebraska win out and play each other at 11-1 and then see how the rest shakes out. If it were to go down like that, at least 2 schools are probably getting screwed either way. Whether it is one (or both) of the Big 12 schools, one of the Big Ten schools or even one of the SEC schools. Hell, what happens if Alabama beats Mississippi State and then Mississippi State wins out? Both finish 11-1, Bama wins the West and probably the SEC title. No chance in hell Mississippi State doesn't get in at 11-1 with the season they have had, then it really doesn't matter what the Big Ten or Big 12 do.

Ultimately, I just want as much chaos as possible to hasten the move to an expanded playoff. I hope 11-1 Nebraska meets 11-1 Ohio State in the Big Ten Championship, I hope Oregon wins out, I hope Bama and the two Mississippi schools destroy each other, I hope both Big 12 schools finish 11-1. Hell, for ultimate chaos I hope Missouri beats the SEC West winner in the SEC title.

Still plenty of time for crazy shit to happen. K-State beats Baylor, Oregon loses to Arizona State, all the Big Ten teams shit themselves, Jameis Winston gets suspended for raping crab legs, Bama beats Mississippi State but loses to Auburn and then Mississippi State loses to Ole Miss. I want mayhem.

Renegade

Charge on!
I really want to see it happen too. I really want one or both Big 12 schools to finish 11-1 and Ohio State and Nebraska win out and play each other at 11-1 and then see how the rest shakes out. If it were to go down like that, at least 2 schools are probably getting screwed either way. Whether it is one (or both) of the Big 12 schools, one of the Big Ten schools or even one of the SEC schools. Hell, what happens if Alabama beats Mississippi State and then Mississippi State wins out? Both finish 11-1, Bama wins the West and probably the SEC title. No chance in hell Mississippi State doesn't get in at 11-1 with the season they have had, then it really doesn't matter what the Big Ten or Big 12 do.

Ultimately, I just want as much chaos as possible to hasten the move to an expanded playoff. I hope 11-1 Nebraska meets 11-1 Ohio State in the Big Ten Championship, I hope Oregon wins out, I hope Bama and the two Mississippi schools destroy each other, I hope both Big 12 schools finish 11-1. Hell, for ultimate chaos I hope Missouri beats the SEC West winner in the SEC title.

Still plenty of time for crazy shit to happen. K-State beats Baylor, Oregon loses to Arizona State, all the Big Ten teams shit themselves, Jameis Winston gets suspended for raping crab legs, Bama beats Mississippi State but loses to Auburn and then Mississippi State loses to Ole Miss. I want mayhem.

I'd really like to see the B1G champ jump a B12 team by virtue of the champ game.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
I wonder what happens if Mississippi State goes 12-0 and then loses in CCG to Mizzou or Georgia.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I wonder what happens if Mississippi State goes 12-0 and then loses in CCG to Mizzou or Georgia.

Or Duke beat FSU in the CCG.

tumblr_leml1pSNhD1qe124ho1_500.jpg

If one or both of those things happen, there would be anarchy. Playoff teams will be decided by an Anchorman style street brawl in ESPN's parking lot. Jameis Winston stabbing people with crab legs against their will, Mississippi State throwing cowbells, Nick Saban putting a suicide vest on Lane Kiffin and walking him into the middle of the brawl, the Big Ten teams cowering in the corner. I'd watch.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Duke wouldn't be so bad if they were 11-1 at that point, they would most likely get in and no one would really have a problem with it.

Georgia or Mizzou winning would be hilarious because neither of those teams remotely deserve a playoff spot but they'll be SEC champs. Mississippi State will also be 12-1 in the SEC but they won't be conference champs so it'd be pretty hard to argue that they deserve a shot when the actual conference champ doesn't get one.

Lightningwar

Administrator
That only proves how tough the SSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC is when a team doesnt even win the conference championship but gets into the playoffs.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Duke wouldn't be so bad if they were 11-1 at that point, they would most likely get in and no one would really have a problem with it.

Georgia or Mizzou winning would be hilarious because neither of those teams remotely deserve a playoff spot but they'll be SEC champs. Mississippi State will also be 12-1 in the SEC but they won't be conference champs so it'd be pretty hard to argue that they deserve a shot when the actual conference champ doesn't get one.

I would give anything to have an entire year worth of dominance from the SEC West and then Missouri or UGA somehow win the SEC Championship. I'm pretty sure ESPN would just implode. Instead of the college football playoff selection show they'd just air a color test pattern.

Honestly, that is the best thing that could happen though. Nothing would hasten an expanded playoff faster than SEC teams sitting at home while the ACC, Big Ten, Pac 12 and Big 12 are playing in a playoff. We'd miraculously be up to 8 teams in no time.

PSUEagle

Put me on the record for a 24 team playoff. That's how we do it at my level, and we never have a problem crowning a true champion. Plus everyone plays eleven games, which wouldn't be that different from FBS if conference championship games were eliminated.

At our level the playoff participants are divided into four regions, with each region being seeded 1-6. Seeds 1 and 2 have a 1st round bye, while 3-6 and 4-5 play each other. Then it progresses from there until each regional champion advances to the final four.

I propose a similar setup in DIA where every conference champion automatically qualifies. The committee then can add wild card teams and seed things accordingly. This will give the teams in shit leagues like the Sun Belt a "shot" similar to the NCAABB tourney while ensuring that the teams with really great seasons (11-12 wins) in BCS leagues get a bye.

In terms of location I'd like to see everyone play home games until the final four, but you could expand it beyond that with various bowl locations serving as game sites.

Finally, if everyone's worried about not having meaningless bowl games in Shreveport for 6-6 BCS teams: you can still have bowl games for non-playoff participants. They do that in DIII of all places, so surely they can do it in FBS.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
I like that idea.

My only problem is the kids studies. They already aren't smart enough to work at my enterprise shop.

Bruce Wayne

Football misses the least amount of school of any of the athletic teams. They don't come close to what baseball and basketball miss.

Wooly

I think people would have a problem with Duke getting in though. Other than the ACC, the other power confs will be pissed, because they will all think they have 1-2 teams more deserving. Why? Because Duke is not a name brand, and they didn't start the season considered a contender. And after all isn't that how CFB works? We make predictions before the season starts, and then vote and hype teams to make those assumptions true. If you are not expected to be one of the best teams to start the season, you had better go undefeated, because that is the only way to break into the elite that year. And of course at the start of each season the teams considered to be contenders are usually only name brand schools. Hell, we do that with awards too, creating watch lists which we then narrow down to find a winner.

CFB is an incumbency racket, a self-fulfilling-prophecy degree mill built by the name brand schools over the decades. No one else is supposed to take a piece of the pie, only the crumbs from the table. If 1 1 loss Duke gets in, and a 1 loss Ohio St or 2 loss Alabama is left out, the power brokers behind the scenes will be pissed and probably change something for next year.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Football misses the least amount of school of any of the athletic teams. They don't come close to what baseball and basketball miss.

Yep, there are plenty of valid reasons to not have a huge playoff but missing class is not one of them. Football teams at that level charter everywhere, arrive day before and leave immediately after the game. Football players rarely, if ever, miss class for football. The exception might be a weekday game or maybe a championship game depending on when/where.

An expanded playoff would not change that, even one that is 4 rounds. Start the first round the same weekend as bowls start, December 20th this year, and play each round every Saturday and you end on January 10th. The National Championship is January 12th this year (11 days after the semi-final and 8 days after the last bowl game). Even if the playoff spills into the first week of class for the spring semester, if you keep a standard travel week schedule, they wouldn't miss much. Even if you go up to 5 rounds, so what? January 17th? No problem.

Keep most (not all) of other bowls so non-playoff teams have rewards for solid seasons, schedule them for weekdays between the playoff rounds. It would be great and I would imagine it would be far more compelling. I'm already dreading the week and a half of hype for the national championship game this year.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
I think people would have a problem with Duke getting in though. Other than the ACC, the other power confs will be pissed, because they will all think they have 1-2 teams more deserving. Why? Because Duke is not a name brand, and they didn't start the season considered a contender. And after all isn't that how CFB works? We make predictions before the season starts, and then vote and hype teams to make those assumptions true. If you are not expected to be one of the best teams to start the season, you had better go undefeated, because that is the only way to break into the elite that year. And of course at the start of each season the teams considered to be contenders are usually only name brand schools. Hell, we do that with awards too, creating watch lists which we then narrow down to find a winner.

CFB is an incumbency racket, a self-fulfilling-prophecy degree mill built by the name brand schools over the decades. No one else is supposed to take a piece of the pie, only the crumbs from the table. If 1 1 loss Duke gets in, and a 1 loss Ohio St or 2 loss Alabama is left out, the power brokers behind the scenes will be pissed and probably change something for next year.

Well, yeah, if 11 loss Duke gets in, we have some problems :Winking:

I meant no one with a brain would have any problems with 12-1 ACC champion Duke getting in. You're right about the rest, though. I want Duke in if it results in playoff expansion.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Well, yeah, if 11 loss Duke gets in, we have some problems :Winking:

I meant no one with a brain would have any problems with 12-1 ACC champion Duke getting in. You're right about the rest, though. I want Duke in if it results in playoff expansion.

First problem: Assuming the talking heads in the ESPN Echo Chamber have a brain

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I can't even remotely take these CFB Playoff Rankings seriously. Surely this will all work itself out but I'd love to hear some rationalization for some of these rankings.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
How on earth can they rationalize Oregon over Florida State? I mean you can talk strength of schedule all you want but Oregon lost to a team it was favored to beat by 4 touchdowns and Florida State hasn't lost at all. Georgia with two losses to Florida (lol) and South Carolina in the top 15.

I'm sure attrition will take care of most of these issues but I'd love to hear what they use as rationalization for some of these.

Iron

I guess no one has an issue with TCU being ahead of Baylor, despite the fact that BAYLOR BEAT TCU. They talk about "quality losses" for each team, but Baylor won the head-to-head. I also hate the term quality losses.

Wooly

The committee does listen -

Nebraska dropped 4 spots for not playing
UCLA jumped 7 spots for beating Washington

all hail drew sharp

You have to wonder sometimes if they actually plan ahead to keep teams in a certain slot. Nebraska drops 4 for not playing, but they have a big game this week. If they win they will likely just regain that lost ground and maybe a couple of more spots. Had they stayed at 11, a win over Wiscy might put them as high as 7th. Now they are looking at maybe 10th with that win. Is this the committees way of making sure teams they don't think are deserving never get too close to grey area, the area where several teams are discussed for the last playoff slot? I am not saying Nebraska deserves that, or even if they deserve a 7th or better ranking, and it's not likely that anyone is singling out Nebraska...yet you can't help but wonder when a team drops 4 spots for not playing. FSU has not looked sharp every week, and the most they have fallen is 2 slots, over several weeks. What gives?

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
You have to wonder sometimes if they actually plan ahead to keep teams in a certain slot. Nebraska drops 4 for not playing, but they have a big game this week. If they win they will likely just regain that lost ground and maybe a couple of more spots. Had they stayed at 11, a win over Wiscy might put them as high as 7th. Now they are looking at maybe 10th with that win. Is this the committees way of making sure teams they don't think are deserving never get too close to grey area, the area where several teams are discussed for the last playoff slot? I am not saying Nebraska deserves that, or even if they deserve a 7th or better ranking, and it's not likely that anyone is singling out Nebraska...yet you can't help but wonder when a team drops 4 spots for not playing. FSU has not looked sharp every week, and the most they have fallen is 2 slots, over several weeks. What gives?

You saying the fix is in. :)

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I guess no one has an issue with TCU being ahead of Baylor, despite the fact that BAYLOR BEAT TCU. They talk about "quality losses" for each team, but Baylor won the head-to-head. I also hate the term quality losses.

I actually don't have an issue with that one, if you're going to count the quality of the schedule and quality of wins, you have to equally weigh the quality of the losses. Head to head only matters when all else is equal, all else isn't equal here. In the case of Baylor, I would say getting beat by 2 TD by WVU along with an embarrassingly bad non-conference schedule should matter far more than 3 point head to head win.

The Big 12 situation will work itself out though. TCU's remaining schedule is awful (KU, UT, ISU) so they should win out but Baylor still has Kansas State. If KSU is 9-2 and a Top 10 team going into that game, a Baylor win will be more than enough to jump them back over TCU. A Baylor loss obviously solves the problem as well.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator

I'm not too worked up about Nebraska's ranking, although I agree it is absurd. Most of the teams above us have just as much of a stake to their spot as we would. We have no track record of success, no defining win and a pretty mediocre strength of schedule. If we win out and beat an 11-1 Ohio State team, we'll be in the discussion. Attrition should take care of at least 4-5 teams ahead of us.

Of course, if we get steamrolled by Wisconsin it doesn't matter a whole lot.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Heard on the radio that Baylor's non-conf schedule is ranked 128 out of 128. The fuck. Make an effort assholes.

SMU, Northwestern State and Buffalo. By far the worst non-conference schedule at the FBS level.

SMU is 0-8, Buffalo 4-6 and Northwestern State is a 5-5 FCS program. That and the 41-27 loss to a 6-4 West Virginia is going to outweigh any head to head victory. Honestly, I think the BCS would be treating Baylor even worse than the playoff committee is.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Also, be on the look out for the juggernauts like Lamar, Rice, SMU and ULM. Epic non-con slate there.

-YTC

Lightningwar

Administrator
Heh I am not sure why FSU gets criticized so much for their wins. Are they last years team? Who is? Try to find me a team that dominated every game like that team. The closest I can think of is the 95 Huskers? So is that the measuring stick they are going to be compared to now? Because I look around the league and see MSU being one onsides kick from going to OT with KY, Auburn sneaking out of USC, Bama and MSU sneaking out against Arkansas. I feel like this narrative that FSU deserves criticism for not repeating as a once in 20 year team is absurd.

It is also amusing to listen to the pundits claim Oregon should be at #2 because of their wins and FSUs close games at home. One was without Winston against Clemson. It isnt like we went to OT against Syracuse at home with Winston. The other close win was against #5 Notre Dame. Then gloss over Oregon lost at home to a team they were supposed to beat by 4 TDs.

At the end of the day it shouldnt matter if we win out. But at the same time the arguments made are weak sauce IMO and annoying.

Last edited:

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Heh I am not sure why FSU gets criticized so much for their wins. Are they last years team? Who is? Try to find me a team that dominated every game like that team. The closest I can think of is the 95 Huskers? So is that the measuring stick they are going to be compared to now? Because I look around the league and see MSU being one onsides kick from going to OT with KY, Auburn sneaking out of USC, Bama and MSU sneaking out against Arkansas. I feel like this narrative that FSU deserves criticism for not repeating as a once in 20 year team is absurd.

It is also amusing to listen to the pundits claim Oregon should be at #2 because of their wins and FSUs close games at home. One was without Winston against Clemson. It isnt like we went to OT against Syracuse at home with Winston. The other close win was against #5 Notre Dame. Then gloss over Oregon lost at home to a team they were supposed to beat by 4 TDs.

At the end of the day it shouldnt matter if we win out. But at the same time the arguments made are weak sauce IMO and annoying.

I despise FSU, but you are right on the money here. Absolutely no justification for Oregon to be ahead of FSU. None.

-YTC

Lightningwar

Administrator
And I want to add about the Clemson win. The admin pulled Winston out less than 24 hours before kickoff. This completely decimated our offensive game plan with a QB that was set to manage for the first half to keep it close. Try to find me a team that would have their starting QB or offensive leader yanked 24 hours before kickoff against Clemson and win. Yank Gurley 24 hours before Clemson and that game changes drastically.

Last edited:

Brick

the rankings are pure shit, as expected.

i have no idea what oregon is doing at #2 above some of these one loss teams. let alone above undefeated flazzu. honestly baffled they are in the top 4. oregon has the worst defense of these teams by far. #106 in total D and #85 in yards per play allowed.

it's a problem of the committee not really watching the games, IMO. it's easy to see that oregon is mariota or bust. that's not to say i doubt oregon could win the playoff, but i don't see their logic.

if it's the "jake fisher was injured" meme they are even dumber than i think. i see clemson is ranked #19. i seem to remember flazzu beating them without winston.

also, oregon has the worst loss, according to their own fucking rankings, of the teams immediately behind them.

oregon's loss is at home to #14 arizona
alabama's loss is on the road to #10 ole miss
tcu's loss is on the road to #7 baylor
baylor's loss is to WVU on the road

Last edited:

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Who fucking cares where anyone is at this point? I don't understand why you tards fall for this week after week. A lot of those teams in the top 10 are going to play each other and it will all work itself out. If Oregon wins out they are in. Same can be said for miss st, bama, fsu, asu and either TCU/Baylor.

Bucksin04

Who fucking cares where anyone is at this point? I don't understand why you tards fall for this week after week. A lot of those teams in the top 10 are going to play each other and it will all work itself out. If Oregon wins out they are in. Same can be said for miss st, bama, fsu, asu and either TCU/Baylor.

And it's not like Oregon leaping FSU changes who either of them play anyway. As long as they're 2-3 in some order, it literally doesn't make any tangible bit of difference. Oregon gets to choose which one of their 234982390 uniforms they get to wear if they're #2. That's it.