• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2015 MLB Thread (Little things that keep you up)

Bdub

I can't figure out if Young is a real person or a robot. He has no emotion, no facial expressions and so awkward.

CJ_24

Fox sports go didn't have it available (at least not for me, and normally I can stream from them). I expected that because they never allow me to access games for the first time during the latter portions of the contest.

I don't have access to the MLB stream. And, I don't know which shady third-world, third party side is trustworthy enough to stream from.

Oh well. I did some reading; so, ultimately it was probably for the best.

Bucksin04

The latest update said he got the news before the game. Would have been bad if he took the mound without knowing that yet.

Confirmed that he did NOT know his dad had died. Came at the request of his wife that he not be told. Royals PR team asked that FOX not mention it until he was out of the game because he likes to go into the clubhouse between innings and the game is usually on in there and they didn't want him to find out through the TV broadcast.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/155757702/edinson-volquez-father-passes-away

Bucksin04

Chris Young was apparently the only Royal that was told about Volquez's dad.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/w...ng-for-everyone-in-game-1/?ex_cid=GrantlandFB

Adding one final twist to the evening was Young’s own dose of tragedy this year. Just last month, his own father died; the next day, he threw five shutout innings. Young was the only player told about the death of Volquez’s father before the game, because Young stood to be the emergency replacement starter if Volquez found out about his dad’s death and needed to be excused from pitching. USA Today’s Bob Nightengale was one of several writers who detailed Young’s own emotional burden, how Young empathized with Volquez, and how Young’s own father was in his thoughts throughout the most important performance of the 36-year-old, slop-throwing, skyscraping right-hander’s career.

osick87

Community Liaison
sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/alex-anthopoulos-leaving-blue-jays-after-rejecting-extension/

gtfafm1.gif

Last edited:

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Figured it was going to happen for months. Dusty would have been more entertaining which is about all I care about right now.

I'm sure some San Diego Nutopians like @Orlando will tell some negatives.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Bud is the least entertaining manger I have ever seen.

Padres hired some scrub from the D-Backs. Not really surprising.

osick87

Community Liaison
As for the AA thing, my best guess is he felt that he deserved full autonomy after this season. I think that feeling is warranted. There are reports that Shapiro was critical of how he traded away so many prospects this year the one time they met.

I think when the Jays hired Shapiro, they promised him some say in personnel which is also something that seems warranted.

AA figured he wasn't going to be a good fit so he rejected a 5 yr extension. Kinda sucks but I hope he goes to one of somebody here's favorite teams because he is a blockbuster trade ninja.

BIG EVIL

America's Finest
Bud Black is great if you're a fan of never having the same lineup twice and having your fourth outfielder and utility infielder play way too many games because he falls in love with them.

Just wait till Harper goes 4-4 with 3 dingers hitting cleanup and then is dropped to the 7 hole the next game.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Yeah. Bud was terrible. The only good thing anyone says about him is, "he is well respected around the league." That's about as vague as it gets and its because they can't come up with anything he does well.

osick87

Community Liaison
Maybe this year the Padres will have a shortstop

I think I saw a stat that Andy Green would be the 22nd oldest player.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Sounds like an interesting hire to me

Team Audit | Player Cards | Depth Chart Return to Top

Reportedly will name Andy Greenmanager. [10/29]

Entering Thursday, most reports had the Padres picking either former Twins skipper Ron Gardenhire or Pirates third-base coach Rick Sofield as their new manager. So much for that noise.

Instead A.J. Preller and the Padres settled on Green, the Diamondbacks' third-base coach. Although Green is fairly young (he turned 38 in July) and relatively new to the coaching side of things (he last played in 2010), he has more on-the-bench experience than most recent hires. He began managing in the minors in 2011 and has subsequently worked his way up the ladder: from the Arizona League to the Pioneer League to the Southern League to the major leagues (albeit for one year as a third-base coach).

Though it's unclear how well Green's managing skills will translate to the majors, he is "regarded by his peers as well-spoken, intelligent and confident, [and] is also adept at advanced metrics," according to MLB.com's Corey Brock. Another thing that's unclear is how Preller intends to attack the offseason. The one thing that is for certain is that Preller should know what he wants in a manager. Green is Preller's third in about five months' time, provided you include interim skipper Pat Murphy. Compared to Preller's quick hooks with Bud Black and Murphy, Green should get ample time to prove his worth.