• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2022: The World Cup Thread

Wolfman21

i don't know much about soccer, but the Robinson dude on the far side of the field now seems to be struggling mightily in almost every phase of his offensive game

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Lmao at the ref's face after the Iranian defender basically tackled Weah and then was asking what he did

Wolfman21

I assume we saw how well just sitting back worked for Iran in the first half and are deploying the same tactic. Smart

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
EdBbmGZX0AAwuOH.jpg

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Dutch gonna ass rape this US team so hard.
Clearly you haven't watched Netherlands-- they absolutely stink.

US actually has a chance to go to the semifinals-- the 1/4 of the bracket is god awful.

Moving on despite manager. Greggggggg making us defend with fucking Shaq Moore for final 20 minutes was suicidal. Haji Wright is total garbage. Reyna 7 minutes in group stage? IDIOT.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Moving on despite manager. Greggggggg making us defend with fucking Shaq Moore for final 20 minutes was suicidal. Haji Wright is total garbage. Reyna 7 minutes in group stage? IDIOT.

And this is why the Dutch are going to go two clogs deep on that ass. Past his prime van Gaal can outmanage peak Gregggggg in his sleep.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Biggest problem I have now is that he will not use his subs fast enough. We’ve wilted late in all 3 games, and I wonder if fresh legs at 60 minutes would help that. Reyna not playing is weird, but there’s something else going on there.

I really hope Sargent is okay. He was doing a lot things well, despite his shitty finishing. Wright was not holding up the ball well or being as good of an outlet as Sargent. I would obviously kill for Dempsey or Altidore right now, but Sargent is probably the best of a bad bunch.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Biggest problem I have now is that he will not use his subs fast enough. We’ve wilted late in all 3 games, and I wonder if fresh legs at 60 minutes would help that. Reyna not playing is weird, but there’s something else going on there.

I really hope Sargent is okay. He was doing a lot things well, despite his shitty finishing. Wright was not holding up the ball well or being as good of an outlet as Sargent. I would obviously kill for Dempsey or Altidore right now, but Sargent is probably the best of a bad bunch.

I really don't understand saving subs for so late in the group stage, it's such a TACTICAL FAILURE. I would understand a bit if it was in the knockout stage there are some extra time considerations or whatever, but the US just didn't adjust well to the sub rules and it's fuckin embarrassing. Sure, you can save one until late in case of injury, but all the rest should be fired off prior to the 70th.

Maybe it's just the fact that the subs are a bunch of bums?

NML

gregg is far from perfect, especially his in-game adjustments. but fans calling for his head still need a reality check. by basically any objective measure, he's the best usmnt manager of all time. yes, he's had the most talented team, but that's been true of every previous manager too, going back to like steve sampson. since 2019, they've won both the nations league and gold cup, qualified for the WC and advanced out of a difficult group, and beat mexico three straight times, and capped off qualifying with a draw at azteca. he also didnt start a single player from mls yesterday, which was the biggest criticism for a long time.

it wasnt a fluky performance in the WC either. they were the second best team and the only side to give england a challenege (arguably out playing them). not quite the same as 14 when yermaine stole a point against portugal and brooks scored on a corner to win against ghana before we got completely dominated by germany and belgium. or 10 when robert green handed them a point and the group was easy otherwise. of course 02 will always be the standout performance, but beating the dutch would top that imo and it's probably the second-best WC of all time even with a loss. still havent allowed a goal from open play yet

most importantly to me - vs just sneaking through an easy group and dropping out of the r16, the usmnt played a top side in england even and will get another chance saturday vs netherlands (who havent played well but may be the fourth most talented team behind france, brazil, and spain). the purpose of this WC is all about setting up the foundation for 26. realistically, 9 starters from now could start in four years. only the cbs are old and won't be in their prime then. while not quite the same scale, its extremely similar to germany in 2010 when they took a really young team, did well, and then that same core went and won it in 14.

the musah, adams, mckennie midfield has been insane. outplaying the england midfield was incredible. crazy that musah is only 20. also through the group stage without a suspension which is great. id really prefer sticking one of pulisic/weah/gio/aaronson central vs the drop in quality for the center forwards they've been playing but id be shocked if the first time they ran that out was the knockout stages of the wc. but there was also going to be some talented players who didnt play much and it sticks for gio but its a good problem to have for the team.

like i said, netherlands havent quite played up to their level yet, but from a quality perspective it'll be the best team the us have faced. but its winnable. us looks to be around 35% to advance according to the market. IF they could win, the quarterfinals match could be much easier if argentina dont win the group. could even be aussies/saudi arabia

Snorky's Shame

Australia getting through is crazy to me. They were looking like they wouldn't qualify out of Asia for a long time. It's not a very talented roster, either. At least it's way down from 2006, when they had a couple of really good players.

Yeah…it’s their worst team in a generation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
by basically any objective measure, he's the best usmnt manager of all time.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Bradley won the Gold Cup, first 1st in CONCACAF qualifying, and got out of the group in 2010. Also got to the final of the Confederations Cup. Klinsmann won a Gold Cup, advanced out of the group. So did Bruce Arena. Are we really valuing a CONCACAF Nations League that much? I'm also not sure this was that difficult of a group. Wales were absolute trash against Iran and England (and us in the first half). Iran is solid, but they aren't great.