• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2022: The World Cup Thread

Schauwn

also through the group stage without a suspension which is great. id really prefer sticking one of pulisic/weah/gio/aaronson central vs the drop in quality for the center forwards they've been playing but id be shocked if the first time they ran that out was the knockout stages of the wc.
this is my only complaint, other than the dumb sub pattern...I'd have loved to see this tried during qualifying when it was obvious are strikers are not it. put one of those you mention centrally and let the ATHOLETES play

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
I'm not sure I agree with this. Bradley won the Gold Cup, first 1st in CONCACAF qualifying, and got out of the group in 2010. Also got to the final of the Confederations Cup. Klinsmann won a Gold Cup, advanced out of the group. So did Bruce Arena. Are we really valuing a CONCACAF Nations League that much? I'm also not sure this was that difficult of a group. Wales were absolute trash against Iran and England (and us in the first half). Iran is solid, but they aren't great.
By SPI, 2 of the worst 9 teams were in our group. England is good but they're absolutely a level below Brazil/France/Spain trio in terms of pot 1 teams. It wasn't a really strong group.

I think many (including myself) have been a little hard on Gregggggg. Tactics have been really good. First halfs have been dominant. But zero adjustments has been concerning. The subs have been not great-playing to hold onto results vs win. Holding on for dear life vs. Iran was just insanity. And a lack of rotation might really rear it's head against the Dutch (who are really average, the US has a legit shot vs. them).

He also has an automatic midfield which is probably only rivaled by O'Brien-Reyna during '02 WC. Granted- he deserves credit for CROOTIN Musah for the MF then other guys as well. Attacking options wise-- this team is light years ahead of anything the US has ever had. Having players the quality of Reyna/Aaronson on the bench is ridiculous compared to past teams.

Let's hold off on calling him the best USMNT manager of all-time until this next match. Bradley won his group and performed really well at that 'real' GC then Confederations Cup. Arena gets tons of shit for his 2nd stint but his first one was pretty damn good. I'll happily eat my words though!

NML

I'm not sure I agree with this. Bradley won the Gold Cup, first 1st in CONCACAF qualifying, and got out of the group in 2010. Also got to the final of the Confederations Cup. Klinsmann won a Gold Cup, advanced out of the group. So did Bruce Arena. Are we really valuing a CONCACAF Nations League that much? I'm also not sure this was that difficult of a group. Wales were absolute trash against Iran and England (and us in the first half). Iran is solid, but they aren't great.

i suppose its an argument of 4 people really: arena, jk, bob, and ggg. both arena and jk were involved in not qualifying in 2018, so kinda feels like a non-starter there. arena also was in charge of 06 when they got 1 point and got trashed 3-0 vs czech. he gets 02 on the flip side but he had 8 of the qualifying matches in 18. jk won 13 gold cup, but 14 was just meh (as discussed) and then loses twice to mexico in 3 months to miss the confed cup. he just doesnt have much besides the showing in 14 but i dont think the us actually played that well. bob probably the biggest threat - confed cup is probably the best performance for the us ever, but just tough to know how much to weigh it. 2010 was good, not great. and he went 1-2 in gold cups.

this is mostly subjective though, which is why i said objectively

result perc: gregg 71%, bruce 67%, jk 64%, bob 61%
win perc: gregg 63%, jk 56%, bruce 55%, bob 54%
ppg: gregg 2.08, bruce 1.88, jk 1.85, bob 1.76
goals for: gregg 1.96, jk 1.82, 1.68 bob, 1.64 bruce
goals agg: gregg .62, bruce .75, jk 1.11, bob 1.23
gd: gregg 1.34, bruce .89, jk .71, bob .45

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong

Interesting. Hadn't seen these. I was thinking that they are inflated because of early group Gold Cup games, but GGG didn't get the first rounds of CONCACAF qualifying against the Bahamas, etc.

doh

i suppose its an argument of 4 people really: arena, jk, bob, and ggg. both arena and jk were involved in not qualifying in 2018, so kinda feels like a non-starter there. arena also was in charge of 06 when they got 1 point and got trashed 3-0 vs czech. he gets 02 on the flip side but he had 8 of the qualifying matches in 18. jk won 13 gold cup, but 14 was just meh (as discussed) and then loses twice to mexico in 3 months to miss the confed cup. he just doesnt have much besides the showing in 14 but i dont think the us actually played that well. bob probably the biggest threat - confed cup is probably the best performance for the us ever, but just tough to know how much to weigh it. 2010 was good, not great. and he went 1-2 in gold cups.

Look at the US schedule since Gregggggg took over. Probably covid-related, but they've played very few good friendlies and the ones they have played didn't perform great. Most of his numbers vs. outmatched CONCACAF teams.

You have to WC performance in the context of groups...

'10 + '22: very very easy

'02 (host + IIRC #2 rated Portugal) + '06 (winner Italy, #2 in the world Czechs, Ghana) were extremely difficult. '14 (winner Germany, prime Ronaldo) wasn't easy either: getting out of that group was a giant accomplishment.

But talent level wise, this team is so far above anything that we've sent to the WC too. Again- let's see this next match before we say Greggggggg is the best ever.

doh

Interesting. Hadn't seen these. I was thinking that they are inflated because of early group Gold Cup games, but GGG didn't get the first rounds of CONCACAF qualifying against the Bahamas, etc.
Definitely inflated. We used to play tons of good friendlies, less CONCACAF minnows. He's faced a really soft schedule.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
I think many (including myself) have been a little hard on Gregggggg. Tactics have been really good. First halfs have been dominant. But zero adjustments has been concerning. The subs have been not great-playing to hold onto results vs win. Holding on for dear life vs. Iran was just insanity. And a lack of rotation might really rear it's head against the Dutch (who are really average, the US has a legit shot vs. them).

This. Why do we play not to lose when we have a 1-0 lead on Iran. Push...make it 2-0 or 3-0. If we are that good, why are taking our foot off the gas and playing not to lose for 45 minutes.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
All I want for Christmas is a USA vs. Australia quarterfinal

469501.jpg

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
1950?

I just looked at Mexico's World Cup record. Holy shit. Advanced out of every group stage since 1994 (except now) and never won their next game. You'd think they'd back into one win. Hell, even the US has gotten to the quarterfinals.

There's always drama on that fucking team. They either hate the coach, each other, or purposely mail it in.

There was a good interview with Guardado before either 2018 or 2014 where he basically said if anyone in Mexico so much as sees a national team player drinking a single beer in public it will become a national issue on TWATTER and shit. The pressure is immense and they aren't that good to begin with.

Snorky's Shame

D’oh Canada.

About to be the second team to not register a point in the World Cup playing at least six matches. The other team is El Salvador.

Go CONCACAF!

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
Lou Cockooh, the g8est belsh goal scorer, has now missed 3 chances in 17 minutes.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
ESP corch wearing just a polo? It’s not a track suit but still….have some respect for the event.

NML

what a wild second half this has been. all four teams have been out at different times haha

need south paw to tell us how much better iowa and minnesota combining for 23 points over 4 hours is