• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Aspergers Clearinghouse and Miscellaneous Meaningless Bowl Thread

Skeeter

Uber felon
And the weekly stipend (that extra $100 really goes far in college towns)! Plus, all the food you can eat (but screw you if you're on break or away from the school!)
Those things are meaningless and shouldn't be given. Check. :thumbsup:

Poor peppers will starve to death.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Didn't realize clothes no longer have monetary value. You must have an awesome wardrobe.

You think McCafferty is worth millions to stanford???

Of course he is. He's not really the best example, though, because he's also worth millions to the pros. Denard Robinson was undoubtedly worth millions to Michigan, but he'll make a fraction of that in the NFL because they don't like running quarterbacks. Braxton Miller was worth more to Ohio State. Again, he won't make anywhere close to what he's worth.

Plus, the average NFL career is, what, 2 seasons? These players are using 3-5 years of their prime athletic years making pennies on the dollar on a free market.

But "free" education (that they can't take too seriously or their coach will be pissed) though!

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Do they really get their suits for free, or is it a chargeback model?

I mean I got "free" shirts when I worked at the ice delivery company, but they deducted $4 a paycheck or something like that.

Skeeter

Uber felon
So how do you determine what someone is worth to their university. Should they be paid on a tiered system like govt work?

Do you get a promotion or is it just a step increase?

What about seniority?

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
So how do you determine what someone is worth to their university. Should they be paid on a tiered system like govt work?

Do you get a promotion or is it just a step increase?

What about seniority?

How does a large employer of people decide how much someone is worth? It's too bad large state universities don't know how to do that!

But seriously, my preferred answer to all of this is to allow athletes to get outside money (i.e., sponsorships) while in college.

Skeeter

Uber felon
How does a large employer of people decide how much someone is worth? It's too bad large state universities don't know how to do that!

But seriously, my preferred answer to all of this is to allow athletes to get outside money (i.e., sponsorships) while in college.
Really though this is the only logical argument. The only major flaw is it really kills schools like Penn st. And props up schools like ucla.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
It's not going to kill any big school. Penn State has the largest or second largest alumni base in the country. I'm guessing their alumni would much rather give money directly to Barkley than fund some work out complex with TVs built into every piece of gym equipment.

It will hurt a lot of schools who don't have the fan and alumni base to fund their programs, but the system already does that.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
It's not going to kill any big school. Penn State has the largest or second largest alumni base in the country. I'm guessing their alumni would much rather give money directly to Barkley than fund some work out complex with TVs built into every piece of gym equipment.

It will hurt a lot of schools who don't have the fan and alumni base to fund their programs, but the system already does that.

There's also local "sponsorship" money. Why jump through the hoops of giving no-show jobs at your dealership to players when you can just give them cash instead? Players might also be attracted to programs further down the ladder because they can get more money being a big fish in a small pond than by being the seventh-best player at Alabama.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni

I think he was gunning for some derpy rapist joke. If not, I have no idea what he was alluding to.

-YTC

Dr. Shats Basoon

Closed mouths don't get fed
It's kinda hard to stomach the 'players get paid in fringe benefits' while one reads about multimillion dollar payouts from cable providers to schools and the huge salaries coaches get

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
Repeal all rules about third party payments to players. Problem solved. Doesn't cost the schools a dime. Every other pro sports league gets by with that model, I don't know why the NCAA wouldn't.

As for guys sitting out their bowl games, IDK man. I don't remember that being a thing until very recently. But if his teammates support him (and they do) then I don't know who has standing to complain.

You're working for free, I don't think you should feel all that obligated to the "employer."

Skeeter

Uber felon
I think he was gunning for some derpy rapist joke. If not, I have no idea what he was alluding to.

-YTC
Point was if you're letting them market themselves for endorsement deals and such, it's going to be harder to land those endorsements at a small college town over schools in large market areas.

Superstars are going to do fine, but if you're not a 5 star coming out of high school your endorsement deals are going to be limited to what you can drum up locally. So business decision I go with a large market school.

Most superstars don't start out as 5 star athletes as they develop later, so your psu type schools may miss out on more of these diamonds in the rough who opt to go somewhere like pitt since it's a larger local market.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Point was if you're letting them market themselves for endorsement deals and such, it's going to be harder to land those endorsements at a small college town over schools in large market areas.

So? It's harder to get a high paying job in bumfuck Arkansas than it is in Atlanta too. That's how markets work.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Think about the most prominent CFB programs. How many of those are in "large market areas?"

Guess what props those smaller market areas and their football programs? Boosters.

Point being: the richest boosters who actually care enough about 5 star talent coming to their school are predominately in small market areas.

Penn State (and other smaller market schools like the entire SEC, KKKlimpson, Nebraska, Oregon, Texas, Oklahoma, Florida State, etc...) will always be ahead of the teams in large market areas (Pitt? LOL) because of those filthy rich boosters whose whole lives revolve around *insert name here* Footbaw.

-YTC

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi

Superstars are going to do fine, but if you're not a 5 star coming out of high school your endorsement deals are going to be limited to what you can drum up locally. So business decision I go with a large market school.

Most superstars don't start out as 5 star athletes as they develop later, so your psu type schools may miss out on more of these diamonds in the rough who opt to go somewhere like pitt since it's a larger local market.
You are totally lost. Barely anyone cares about college athletics in "major markets". People care way more (and thus athletes would get paid more) in smaller, college markets. Superstars should get paid more too.

And the Penn St vs. Pitt argument is perfect. Look at their stadiums and how many people go to their games.

I've been in for third party payments for a while for lots of reasons. Schools pay = Title IX field day and why should a 3rd string OL earn as much as the star QB? If schools paid, everyone would get the same which is dumb.

They should come up with some sort of Players Union too to sell likeness/jerseys. Bring back NCAA on EA, let whoever wants to sell their likeness and get a cut of the sales. It's not rocket science at this point.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
So? It's harder to get a high paying job in bumfuck Arkansas than it is in Atlanta too. That's how markets work.

And BTW, this is just an example. I don't literally mean that people care about CFB more in Atlanta than Fayetteville, haha. It's typically the reverse, (other than maybe USC?) as stated by both Whitey and Doh.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
And BTW, this is just an example. I don't literally mean that people care about CFB more in Atlanta than Fayetteville, haha. It's typically the reverse, (other than maybe USC?) as stated by both Whitey and Doh.
Yeah USC is the only one I could think of where the CFB guys can be stars... other than that? No one cares in major markets.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
A friend of mine posted that Zeke Elliot tweet about how he doesn't understand sitting, he'd love to play one more ncaa game with a comment that said basically, "but he left a year early!"

Yeah mang he said one more game. Not 12-14 more. :laughing:

CJ_24

Is the consensus that the school should pay the players, or private parties pay the players? In either scenario, without taking a position on the merits of this discussion, I am curious of what the impact will be on the "lesser" sports. I have done no research on the issue, so I am curious if anyone else has any insight on the matter.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Is the consensus that the school should pay the players, or private parties pay the players? In either scenario, without taking a position on the merits of this discussion, I am curious of what the impact will be on the "lesser" sports. I have done no research on the issue, so I am curious if anyone else has any insight on the matter.

Hmm, let me try to put this in old @CJ_24 speak: Should the school pay the players or boosters? What happens to other sports?

Skeeter

Uber felon
As someone who had a GPA who could have led the NL in ERA most years, I can assure you: academic scholarships can be rescinded if your performance is subpar.

So why not atholetic scholarships?

-YTC
Can't blow out a knee and get cut on akademik scholarship.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
The food volume at this party sucks. The announcer of the battle of the bands keeps saying the temps in the home cities of these teams like it is the score of the game :
Western Kentucky 32
Memphis 41.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
Suite is next to tv boith. Who are announcers!?!? I think I took a pic of Desmond Howard.

Food volume much better in suite.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Vp's are showing up now. I'll have to behave.

Don't be like Peter Griffin

39f4df20738e65cb116f2989dc02f22f.jpg

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
There are 20 people on this suite asking why a hilltopper is represented by a Ted grimace.