• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Conference Constipation Thread 2.0

Ander1345

I ain't got friends, I got FamILLy
The Big Ten has essentially said 'we do not care about geography'. TV wants BRANDZ, markets and nashnul prestige.

No one in the country (outside of alums) cares about Nebraska (It ain't the 90s anymore), Iowa, Minnesota, NW, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Rutgers ("NYC" thing is bullshit), Maryland (I guess at least they bring DMV).

So why would you even have them in your league? What's the point? Clearly no one on earth is like "Man, I gotta watch that Purdue football game!".

Well I don't think you want to effectively kick schools out of a conference just cuz they're not football power houses. You would lose a lot of viewers that way when you can just expand and use whatever scheduling algorithm you need. There's no upside to removing positive revenue schools.

But it's all upside for the conference yo keep expanding really and there's no reason they need to stop at some arbitrary number. They could get 32 big money schools and have a literal minor league NFL experience that just happens to be colleges. Every league has bad teams, but even like bad NFL teams for instance make fucktons of money.

Football sells. That's why there's still rich idiots trying to run leagues in spring. There's so much ad time, fans wanting to get plastered while watching dudes smash into each other, etc.

Last edited:

Skeeter

Uber felon
How you all big sad about this. More big time matchups and less games against cupcakes is a good thing. Maction will still be awesome and so will October night game in the shoe against USC

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Well I don't think you want to effectively kick schools out of a conference just cuz they're not football power houses. You would lose a lot of viewers that way when you can just expand and use whatever scheduling algorithm you need. There's no upside to removing positive revenue schools.

But it's all upside for the conference yo keep expanding really and there's no reason they need to stop at some arbitrary number. They could get 32 big money schools and have a literal minor league NFL experience that just happens to be colleges. Every league has bad teams, but even like bad NFL teams for instance make fucktons of money.

Football sells. That's why there's still rich idiots trying to run leagues in spring. There's so much ad time, fans wanting to get plastered while watching dudes smash into each other, etc.
Of the schools I mentioned... Which ones are positive revenue schools for the Big Ten TV package? (which is 95% tied to football).

How much more $$ would you get in a TV deal where you swap Miami, FSU, Clemson, Oregon, Stanford and Washington for Purdue, Illinois, NW, Indiana, Minny and Rutgers?

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Of the schools I mentioned... Which ones are positive revenue schools for the Big Ten TV package? (which is 95% tied to football).

How much more $$ would you get in a TV deal where you swap Miami, FSU, Clemson, Oregon, Stanford and Washington for Purdue, Illinois, NW, Indiana, Minny and Rutgers?

Given they only want AAU schools, probably way less than the federal goverment gives out in research grants. What will their new TV deal be? A billion a year? They received $3.5 billion in funding in 2006/2007 (Lank from 2010) lmao. I'm sure you can find the updated number the CIC gets now but I'm betting it makes the TV deal look insignificant.

edit: found it, $10b annually. Don't think they need FSU or Clemson. I'm not sure how important the ones you posted are but I'm betting Purdue and NW are up there, and there is probably a reason Rutgers is in the B1G and it isn't football. They should take Stanford and Cal tho

Last edited:

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I'm just saying to you that the group that is in the b1g you listed makes the b1g more money already than the other group you want to replace them with would in a tv deal. I think the B1G realize the money is in the academics for them, they aren't building a football conference, they are building an academic conference for research funds that also plays football. It's the opposite of the SEC, FSU and Clemson should go there because they fit better.

If you want in the B1G and aren't an AAU school then you better be bringing something really good. Like corn or Jesus. The UCLA/USC move makes so much sense because it does both, but I'm betting it's more based on their AAU status and their current research funding.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Nebraska was AAU when the Big Ten added them and then their status got revoked a couple years in because their med school is in Omaha or something

Yeah I looked into that and they are still making loads of money for the B1G

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Nebraska was AAU when the Big Ten added them and then their status got revoked a couple years in because their med school is in Omaha or something
No it was revoked right before they joined the league/known it would be revoked 10+ years before it happened.

MtneerManiac

Burning Couches
I feel like the fact that the B12 is entirely made up of schools the B1G and SEC ostensibly don't want works in their favor a lot with the P12 leftovers.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
The History Channel

tenor.gif

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Bicoastal superleague full of teams who will get owned by the SEC and occasionally new B1G