• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2080 Season Thread

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
That's true, but I'm pretty sure I've deciphered what Fowler's attributes were, so it wouldn't take more than 1 or 2. I just need the same type of scout, as I've built my minor leagues around it. It's genuinely off putting seeing something different.

@Travis7401 seems to have ignored my solidarity request.....
The same type of scout might not even see your players the same way.

Just take Fred Smith and get on with it.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
@Travis7401 - Say the manual is correct and tools focussed scouts can find more superstars (but probably miss a lot more), then don't I have a point? I mean there's obviously a difference in the focus of scouts and how they perform as Ed Fowler wouldn't have love Cairos so much. It has to be a part of the game or they wouldn't have written it in.

1. All of our scouts are LEGENDARY overall ability. Depending on your scouting budget, they will either have LEGENDARY or EXCELLENT ratings in each area (ie Since I have $0 in minor/interantional scouting his ability in those areas is only excellent? )

2. Douglass Tagg HIGHLY FAVORS TOOLS and hates Cairos. My guess is your previous scout was the opposite and highly favored ability, which is why he was blowing smoke up ur ass about so many people having WBL ability, whereas Douglass HATES most people way more than OSA and only likes a few.? I honestly don't know how that shit comes into play since we have MAXED OUT SCOUTS. It would be different if we all had to actually hire/pay scouts like they do in some leagues.

1570472520002.png

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
The same type of scout might not even see your players the same way.

Just take Fred Smith and get on with it.

I don't agree. Obviously, I can't test it, but I reckon the projection focus is the main determining factor in the way scouts see prospects, and those with similar projection will see things similarly.

@Travis7401 loves the ability based scouting method as it's clearly based on stats -
A Scouting Director that favors ability will base players' potential ratings on what the player can already do and project what he thinks the player will become in the future.

I literally see the game in a different way to Travis, as I always believed that there is another method programmed in and according to the manual, I believe this to be true -
The director that favors tools will base the players' potential ratings on the maximum peak the player could achieve. In theory, a scout that favors tools will find more superstars, while a scout that favors ability will find more serviceable major league players.

I reckon tools focussed scouts pick up prospects not based purely on stats, such as some would in real life. There's probably more misses, but it's a different way to approach the game.

I always get dismissed in the usual patronising fashion, so I'm well prepared for that, but at the same time, don't treat me like a fool for seeing things differently when my theories are written in the manual.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
1. All of our scouts are LEGENDARY overall ability. Depending on your scouting budget, they will either have LEGENDARY or EXCELLENT ratings in each area (ie Since I have $0 in minor/interantional scouting his ability in those areas is only excellent? )

2. Douglass Tagg HIGHLY FAVORS TOOLS and hates Cairos. My guess is your previous scout was the opposite and highly favored ability, which is why he was blowing smoke up ur ass about so many people having WBL ability, whereas Douglass HATES most people way more than OSA and only likes a few.? I honestly don't know how that shit comes into play since we have MAXED OUT SCOUTS. It would be different if we all had to actually hire/pay scouts like they do in some leagues.

View attachment 9470

You're probably completely correct about them being opposite to how I thought, but I still think that's a metric written into the game when drafting.

It's really confusing seeing something different.

To back the theory up even further, my scout now is neutral and his rating of Cairos isn't bad as Tagg but it's not as good as Fowler.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I don't agree. Obviously, I can't test it, but I reckon the projection focus is the main determining factor in the way scouts see prospects, and those with similar projection will see things similarly.

@Travis7401 loves the ability based scouting method as it's clearly based on stats -

I literally see the game in a different way to Travis, as I always believed that there is another method programmed in and according to the manual, I believe this to be true -

I reckon tools focussed scouts pick up prospects not based purely on stats, such as some would in real life. There's probably more misses, but it's a different way to approach the game.

I always get dismissed in the usual patronising fashion, so I'm well prepared for that, but at the same time, don't treat me like a fool for seeing things differently when my theories are written in the manual.
Da fuq are you even talking about?

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Any new scout we hire for you can be adjusted to make his ratings match the old one. That's usually what we have to do for LEGENDS who aren't actually good at scouting. So if you need Jim Unknown to Highly Favor Tools we can make it happen

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
@Travis7401 - I don't think it seems to matter that scouts are maxed out. They obviously see things according to their projection, and could unearth different players accordingly.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Any new scout we hire for you can be adjusted to make his ratings match the old one. That's usually what we have to do for LEGENDS who aren't actually good at scouting. So if you need Jim Unknown to Highly Favor Tools we can make it happen

I think as @Travis7401 said it's probably "highly favours ability"... Just run a test on Cairos. If he loves him HIRE HIM!! And give him a shit hot name suitable for my team.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Sure, but the problem all comes back to the fact that none of them are going to unearth Cairos because he's a BUM!

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Sure, but the problem all comes back to the fact that none of them are going to unearth Cairos because he's a BUM!

I'm getting the last laugh on this. I think the whole sim's turned against you. Just as the swamp rot took ur foot, ur going to have to see Hayvis take should definitely be a BUM Cairos to the shampship.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator

View attachment 9470
We dont have all maxed out scouts. I think everyone starts at 150/200 or so on each rating and things develop from there. My scout has no LEDENDARY ratings as of now, but Music Man was all LEGENDARY when he retired.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
We dont have all maxed out scouts. I think everyone starts at 150/200 or so on each rating and things develop from there. My scout has no LEDENDARY ratings as of now, but Music Man was all LEGENDARY when he retired.

So it sounds like Hayvis should feel lucky about his scout who has LEGENDARY amateur ratings!

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I'm not saying that it isn't a scouting mechanic, you should be able to ask for a guy who favors ___. What I'm saying is that your demand of a scout who loves CAIROS is unreasonable. Maybe Cairos just sucks?

Choose a scout profile if you believe in the MECHANIC so strongly, and THEN see what he thinks of Cairos!

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
We'd need more specifics on what Fowler thought of Cairos to make anything like that happen.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Fowler rated Cairos as a much better bat, but I've lost him so I have no idea exactly how highly he rated him anymore.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I went through every hired scout and they were all roughly the same. None had him at greens and blues or something. Hiring and firing a ton of scouts isn't an appropriate way to handle this either. If you have a scouting profile you'd like (forget about Cairos) i think that is a reasonable request to make.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
@Travis7401 @Karl Hungus - I have become obsessed, because you asked a fucking Ingerlishman who didn't know what a single fucking baseball statistic meant to play a game that revolves itself around fucking baseball statistics, and then over and over patronise me when I don't know what the fuck is going on. Then the fucking little bit that I know something about (the game manuals hints toward scouts etc - ya now the understandable bits) - you fucking tell me I'm being crazy and patronise me even more for not knowing about baseball statistics.

AND YOU PEOPLE THINK I'M THE FUCKING CRAZY ONE.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
No-one baseball illiterate could half play this fucking game without throwing themselves into obsession. It is designed for baseball spergs, and I'm managing to almost keep up now, from a base where I knew absolutely NOTHING.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
It was @Travis7401 winding me up. If there's a big red button that says "don't push me", then Travis likes to press it. He literally asked me to turn the complain engine on, and I obliged.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
All I’m saying is I believe there is a degree of randomness with scouting as well. One other scout in our league had to be similar to Fowler and I didn’t see any one rating Cairos as a stud. But that said, you’ve given me little to work from other than “Fowler liked him.”

jdlikewhoa

No-one baseball illiterate could half play this fucking game without throwing themselves into obsession. It is designed for baseball spergs, and I'm managing to almost keep up now, from a base where I knew absolutely NOTHING.
It’s designed for 5 minutes a day. What you do beyond that is on you

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
All I’m saying is I believe there is a degree of randomness with scouting as well. One other scout in our league had to be similar to Fowler and I didn’t see any one rating Cairos as a stud. But that said, you’ve given me little to work from other than “Fowler liked him.”

I had a pic of Fowler's rating of Cairos, but I think I lost it. Fwiw, my new scout doesn't think he's a complete bum -
cairos.png

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
@Orlando found Fowler's Cairos ratings -

index.php

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
@jdlikewhoa to be honest, once you get the game set up, it's hard to even spend 5 minutes on it a day. But you asking the impossible to set up the fucking drafting and minor leagues in 5 minutes a day for someone that knew fuck all about baseball until a few months ago. Unless you're regurging standard WBL shtick, I don't get you?

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
@hayvis i was expecting something more extreme. +/- 5 points in some categories doesn’t seem like enough to worry about. Scouts with both favor tools and favor ability have similar reports on cairos to Fowler.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
@hayvis i was expecting something more extreme. +/- 5 points in some categories doesn’t seem like enough to worry about. Scouts with both favor tools and favor ability have similar reports on cairos to Fowler.

Ah. You running tests. Thanks for that. If you can find me a scout that likes him with a 80 power bat, I would be much obliged.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Just to recap, all of this was about a difference of +5 contact/gap and -5 eye for a player who could never hit in college and won't come close to potential regardless!

You may not think it's important, but everyone else here does.