• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2014/15 NBA Thread pelican and okc bitches

Packfan

Administrator
Administrator
CGHoytfXEAEhUkB.png

Tailback U

When the title of a list sounds retarded before you even take a look at it chances are the list is retarded.

i can't even imagine how irrelevant a wins above preseason expectations list for the NFL would look.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
FiveThirtyEight blows. It's almost as bad as Grantland. The most useless thing are the in-game win% charts. They're so dumb because the Rockets being down 25 or whatever to the Clippers in the 2nd half is a lot different than most other NBA teams that can't score as much as they can being down that much.

evil1

Interesting fact: in these playoffs, which may or may not be finished by the time summer ends, Steph Curry (All NBA First Team) will have played against the other 4 members of the All NBA First Team.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Another interesting fact: in the time between the last conference finals game and game 1 of the NBA finals, the NHL will have had two game 7s and the start of the NHL finals. Probably also a game 6, but I'm too lazy to look it up for sure. :turrible:

Bucksin04

Interesting fact: in these playoffs, which may or may not be finished by the time summer ends, Steph Curry (All NBA First Team) will have played against the other 4 members of the All NBA First Team.

In the span of 7 months, we're likely to see one team roll through all three Heisman finalists and another team roll through the entire All-NBA first team in consecutive postseason games.

evil1

If Cleveland re-signs Love at around his player max of $20-22 million per year (which I think they will do), they will have $70 million dollars dedicated to Love, LeBron, Irving and Verajao. That puts them just slightly over the estimated cap for 2015-2016. However, JR Smith, Shumpart, Thompson, and Vellevedova are free agents or restricted free agents. The cap is estimated to greatly increase for the 2016-2017 season. So, how much is Cleveland willing to go over the luxury cap for one year?

sayo

YEET
Apparently, he had a whole presentation laid out about how AD had been underutilized offensively during his interview.

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
Apparently, he had a whole presentation laid out about how AD had been underutilized offensively during his interview.
Well damn. If he was underutilized and still put up a 30.8 per, I can only imagine what he would be unleashed

Bucksin04

If Cleveland re-signs Love at around his player max of $20-22 million per year (which I think they will do), they will have $70 million dollars dedicated to Love, LeBron, Irving and Verajao. That puts them just slightly over the estimated cap for 2015-2016. However, JR Smith, Shumpart, Thompson, and Vellevedova are free agents or restricted free agents. The cap is estimated to greatly increase for the 2016-2017 season. So, how much is Cleveland willing to go over the luxury cap for one year?

Dan Gilbert has zero qualms about shelling out huge cash if it means winning.

Bucksin04

He also absolutely torched Draymond Green in the only game he played against GS this year. Don't have the stats handy, but I believe SportsCenter ran a graphic the other night saying he went 7-13 for like 16 points or something when being guarded by Green. Scored 42 overall. http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400579146

I'm owning up to completely and utterly botching this entire post. My bad. Here's the actual graphic.

CGRfQ2AUYAAaEzK.jpg

Reel

Community Liaison
Another interesting fact: in the time between the last conference finals game and game 1 of the NBA finals, the NHL will have had two game 7s and the start of the NHL finals. Probably also a game 6, but I'm too lazy to look it up for sure. :turrible:

wtf does the NBA finals start so got damn late?? This not the superbowl where you only have one game to play

Bucksin04

wtf does the NBA finals start so got damn late?? This not the superbowl where you only have one game to play

The league briefly consider moving it up to June 2 but decided against it for a few reasons.

the league is exploring a contingency plan. It's complicated and unlikely, sources say, based on television commitments, hotel capacities, international media travel and other considerations. One person familiar with the discussions described them as being in the "very early exploration" stage.

One obvious potential issue would be arena conflicts, but there are no scheduled events at either Oracle Arena or Quicken Loans Arena that would make changing the start date of the Finals problematic from a building perspective. But network TV scheduling, hotel inventory in both cities and international travel loom large as obstacles to changing the scheduled start date.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/writer...ng-finals-up-to-june-2-but-change-is-unlikely

Packfan

Administrator
Administrator
Yet somehow the NHL was able to play 2 - Game 6's, 2 - Game 7's of the conference files and the first game of the Stanley Cup Final between NBA games? The Cup Final could have potentially started in 4 different cities as late as Friday and still has scheduling issues in Tampa with Garth Brooks concerts but made it work.

Bucksin04

Yet somehow the NHL was able to play 2 - Game 6's, 2 - Game 7's of the conference files and the first game of the Stanley Cup Final between NBA games? The Cup Final could have potentially started in 4 different cities as late as Friday and still has scheduling issues in Tampa with Garth Brooks concerts but made it work.

Is there precedent for either MLB or NHL adjusting their World Series or Stanley Cup Finals schedule in the instance of both conference series (Or ALCS & NLCS) ending in 5 games or less? I'm genuinely asking because I don't remember it ever happening in MLB and don't follow hockey at all.

EDIT: Last year the ALCS was a sweep and San Francisco won in 5 games. World Series started on October 21 even though both series were over by the 16th. http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/schedules/playoffs

2002 ALCS and NLCS both ended in 5 games. October 19 was Game 1 of the World Series even though both series were over by October 14.

Last edited:

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
That's fine but half the reason people give the slightest shit about the NBA is espn and major cable networks devoting a nearly unbelievable amount of programming resources to it.

If the NHL had that, more people would watch, absolutely.

evil1

I think most sports that have playoff series don't set a hard date as to when the finals (or next round) will start until a few days before the prospective start date.

This is just an instance where the NBA jumped the gun in setting the schedule and got surprised by both series wrapping up early.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
In any case, flex dates are da bess. Is it really that huge of a logistics problem to have them start 3 days after the last conference finals game?

I think the reason is to let teams get as healthy as they can

Packfan

Administrator
Administrator
The NHL doesn't announce the start date until a few days before. The Conference Finals started on the 13th and were announced on the 11th. The Cup Final schedule was announced on the 28th to start on the 3rd.

Packfan

Administrator
Administrator
It has increased but still really sad. I believe it is right around 8% which is basically the same as MLB.

Bucksin04

If you or anyone else wants a deep dive into the Cavs salary cap issues... http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/2015/06/cleveland-cavaliers-and-future-salaries-wfny-faqs/

TL;DR: Under the following assumptions:

"LeBron opts out and re-signs new one-year max contracts in 2015 and 2016, then signs a long-term max in 2017;
Love opts in and re-signs a new long-term max in 2016;
Tristan signs a four-year, $67.5 million contract;
Shumpert signs a two-year, $20 million contract;
J.R. Smith picks up his $6.4 million player option;
Dellavedova signs a two-year, $6 million contract; and
Haywood is released because of further tax concerns."

then...

"These changes brought the Cavaliers to $109.2 million in 2015-16 salaries. Using my CBA Tax Calculator and the tax line of $81.6 million, that then equates to a $77.4 million tax bill. That would rank shy of Brooklyn’s record $90.6 million tax bill last season. The Cavs would dip to a much lower tax bill in 2016-17, but would have decisions pending on Smith, Mozgov, and Mike Miller. With all of the long-term contracts in place, they’d still be over the cap in 2017-18 as well."

zoltan

no one in the NBA can guard Lebron, or even shut him down moderately, so statistics for that sort of thing........i fail to see the point.

the reason is: because in addition to being an unstoppable force on the scoring end of things, he is also one of the best passers and floor generals in the NBA. you just cant win, you have to pick your poison.

also:

@Reel how tf do you not have my back on my whole CP3 spheal? I mean dude was beast at NOLA, i was watching his old film and its amazing how unstoppable he was. He basically made tyson chandler and david west the players they are today... is it cuz he left that you aint F'n with him?

Bucksin04

no one in the NBA can guard Lebron, or even shut him down moderately, so statistics for that sort of thing........i fail to see the point.

Honestly, I could easily see both teams being fine with Curry and LeBron each scoring 35-40 a night and focusing on shutting down every other player on the floor. If you're GS, you'd much rather give up 40 to LeBron as opposed to him getting 30 plus 10 assists.

evil1

The Warriors should use the same blueprint the Spurs used last year.

Put your best physical defender on LeBron (last year Kawhai Leonard, this year Draymond Green) and force LeBron to fight for everything he gets. Even if he averages 30 pts, he won't be able to get his teammates involved as much, he won't be able to outscore the Warriors offense, and he will start to wear down.

Tailback U

When's the last time the finals went 7 games? Or just the best finals matchup in recent memory? Or F it of all time?

Reel

Community Liaison
Monty Williams assistant head corch for the Thudner

KD goin home
Russ goin home