• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2015/16 NBA Season Thread

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
Nice deal for both sides imo. Let's hope he picks up where he left off from the playoffs

sayo

YEET
Evan Turner for 4/70m is better than what PDX offered Parsons... right? I'd rather have just seen them pay Crabbe.

evil1

I like Mike Conley, but I am still trying to grasp $30 million per year.

In other news:
Evan Turner $17 mil per year
Evan Fournier $17.5 mil per year.
:Dizzy:

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
Conley has never even made an All-Star Game. I should have been born black and tall so I could be a basketball player. $30 million a year? FUUUUUUUUUU

Tailback U

Stupid money thrown around in the nba. I don't get it. Guys that don't even play are making multi millions of dollars per year. It's like they are paying them 10-15 mil a year just to practice.

MSUFanatic

Stupid money thrown around in the nba. I don't get it. Guys that don't even play are making multi millions of dollars per year. It's like they are paying them 10-15 mil a year just to practice.

Has reading comprehension just completely melted down in this thread?? Go look @Bucksin04 link about the contracts and salaries. The money is stupid high due to the new TV contract and these teams all need to reach 90% of the salary cap to be at the floor, that floor that only 7/30 NBA teams managed to reach last year. Money is going to get thrown around like this for years to come and it isn't going to hamstring any team. It's basically like baseball and Steinbrenner money but for every team in the NBA.

You can't really blame a team because this is just the new norm for NBA contracts - if you want to laugh at anyone laugh at ESPN and Turner broadcasting for offering up 24 billion to broadcast the NBA. I only applaud the NBA for fleecing the fuck out of everyone.

sayo

YEET
b34726555861bf61e92dd85889cd2889bed75d7956c5eb0578e58eaee7a8ff1e.jpg

Reel

Community Liaison
Like the two moves the pels have made so far.

Reke is pretty much gone. One trade idea out there is Reke for Taj Gibson since Chicago has no PG and Gibson is an expiring deal

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Has reading comprehension just completely melted down in this thread?? Go look @Bucksin04 link about the contracts and salaries. The money is stupid high due to the new TV contract and these teams all need to reach 90% of the salary cap to be at the floor, that floor that only 7/30 NBA teams managed to reach last year. Money is going to get thrown around like this for years to come and it isn't going to hamstring any team. It's basically like baseball and Steinbrenner money but for every team in the NBA.

You can't really blame a team because this is just the new norm for NBA contracts - if you want to laugh at anyone laugh at ESPN and Turner broadcasting for offering up 24 billion to broadcast the NBA. I only applaud the NBA for fleecing the fuck out of everyone.
These mid level players getting 4/75 and such has nothing to do with the new TV deal and everything to do with max contracts. LBJ, KD, Steph, all the stars get fucked by max deals. They should be getting 50m/yr instead they get 30 so garbage like Mosgov can get 15 per.

MSUFanatic

These mid level players getting 4/75 and such has nothing to do with the new TV deal and everything to do with max contracts. LBJ, KD, Steph, all the stars get fucked by max deals. They should be getting 50m/yr instead they get 30 so garbage like Mosgov can get 15 per.

Really?

That's like saying Aaron Rodgers is getting fucked because Luck just signed a bigger deal than he did. Contracts come in cycles when those players deals come up they will get paid accordingly based on what the cap is at the time of the expiring deal. It was the whole reason why Jimmy Butler almost didn't sign his 4 year deal with the Bulls. If you think any of the stars are getting fucked, well they all were aware this was happening. Blame their agents. Even then, among those players you named only Steph is under contract everyone else is going to get a bigger slice under the new deals which is why both LBJ and KD opted out so I'm really not sure why you think they are getting fucked?

Also about Curry:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/new...rriors-golden-state/enpfydyjdko41opcxc97g5rej

LeBron could sign a max $200 million dollar deal or he might just sign another 1 year deal so he can opt out when the cap goes bananas again next year.

At the end of the day the millions of dollars thrown around is ludicrous so pardon me for not feeling bad when someone is "only" getting 12 million a year instead of 24 million. Really hope the 12 million a year player can eat and not go Shabazz Napier hungry.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Really?

That's like saying Aaron Rodgers is getting fucked because Luck just signed a bigger deal than he did. Contracts come in cycles when those players deals come up they will get paid accordingly based on what the cap is at the time of the expiring deal. It was the whole reason why Jimmy Butler almost didn't sign his 4 year deal with the Bulls. If you think any of the stars are getting fucked, well they all were aware this was happening. Blame their agents. Even then, among those players you named only Steph is under contract everyone else is going to get a bigger slice under the new deals which is why both LBJ and KD opted out so I'm really not sure why you think they are getting fucked?

Also about Curry:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/new...rriors-golden-state/enpfydyjdko41opcxc97g5rej

LeBron could sign a max $200 million dollar deal or he might just sign another 1 year deal so he can opt out when the cap goes bananas again next year.

At the end of the day the millions of dollars thrown around is ludicrous so pardon me for not feeling bad when someone is "only" getting 12 million a year instead of 24 million. Really hope the 12 million a year player can eat and not go Shabazz Napier hungry.
You clearly don't get the point/the concept of a max deal. I'm aware of Currys situation.

The best players do not get deals based on the true market. There is a cap on what they can earn. It has nothing to do with agents.

NBA salaries are a total joke because of that max deal. It means that mid level players get huge deals because you have to spend the money somewhere. If KD was a FA under a true market without max deals, he'd get 5/300 or something similar. A team would absolutely use 50-60% of their cap space on one superstar.

LeBron and others have been trying to change this. Part of the reason they want stars to have an increased role in the players union. The mid level guys love the current system whereas the superstars want to get rid of the max deal. Probably won't get changed because there are a lot more Evan Turners than Kevin Durants.

And comparing to NFL is completely pointless. They don't have a max contract and if Aaron Rodgers was pissed enough he could complain and get a restructured deal.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
The problem with this argument is you are technically both right. You're just on different points.

It's a combination of both of those factors in play which is leading to this boom of overpaying mid level talent.

MSUFanatic

You clearly don't get the point/the concept of a max deal. I'm aware of Currys situation.

The best players do not get deals based on the true market. There is a cap on what they can earn. It has nothing to do with agents.

NBA salaries are a total joke because of that max deal. It means that mid level players get huge deals because you have to spend the money somewhere. If KD was a FA under a true market without max deals, he'd get 5/300 or something similar. A team would absolutely use 50-60% of their cap space on one superstar.

LeBron and others have been trying to change this. Part of the reason they want stars to have an increased role in the players union. The mid level guys love the current system whereas the superstars want to get rid of the max deal. Probably won't get changed because there are a lot more Evan Turners than Kevin Durants.

And comparing to NFL is completely pointless. They don't have a max contract and if Aaron Rodgers was pissed enough he could complain and get a restructured deal.

You're right I didn't get your point at first. What you are saying makes sense thanks for the clarification.

evil1

Yeah, the max contract limitation is kind of unrelated to the current spike in salaries.

It is shocking to see mediocre players getting paid more than Steph Curry, but that is only because Steph's contract came before the bump in the salary cap. When he renews his contract in a few years, he will get a substantial raise.

Is the max contract fair? Certainly not to the superstars, but it probably has strengthened the NBA as a whole since teams give more money and attention to the rank and file players.

evil1

On a different topic, I am OK with the Lakers giving Luol Deng $18 mil a year. The future of the Lakers depends on how well they develop Randal, Clarkson, Russell, Nance Jr and Ingram over the next 2 years.

Deng has a strong reputation as a hard worker, good professional and a good teammate. He is essentially the anti-Nick Young. Now the Lakers just need to get rid of Nick Young.

NML

After spending an embarrassing amount of time thinking about it (i.e., more than two minutes), I believe I understand why the Lakers gave Mozgov $64 million dollars.

On a different topic, I am OK with the Lakers giving Luol Deng $18 mil a year.

So basically there's no move the Lakers could do that you'd disagree with.

This is rhubarb levels of homerism.

evil1

If you didn't read all of my posts, I could understand why you would say that.

PS - I am not saying that the Mozgov signing is a good move. I am just pointing out the possible rationale behind the signing under the new salary cap.

Heisman06

Like @Reel being the only one that likes the Solomon Hill signing. Lot of people tend to give their own teams the benefit of the doubt even if the deal seems absurd to 90% of the general population (and NBA GM's I'd imagine).

In the NBA, I'm definitely like this at times. Having Pat Riley strike gold (or sometimes only silver) time after time gives me belief in what he's doing. I'm the complete opposite with the Dolphins because... They're the Dolphins. They're losers so I just assume every move is the wrong one.

evil1

Solomon Hill is a decent enough young player, but if that is the Pel's only improvement to the roster, then Anthony Davis is going to be the big loser of free agency.

Reel

Community Liaison
Like @Reel being the only one that likes the Solomon Hill signing. Lot of people tend to give their own teams the benefit of the doubt even if the deal seems absurd to 90% of the general population (and NBA GM's I'd imagine).

In the NBA, I'm definitely like this at times. Having Pat Riley strike gold (or sometimes only silver) time after time gives me belief in what he's doing. I'm the complete opposite with the Dolphins because... They're the Dolphins. They're losers so I just assume every move is the wrong one.
Hold on brah. You act like I said he was the savior or something. If you've followed this franchise, which I'm going to assume you haven't, you would no that they have gotten absolutely NO production from the SF position since Peja, and he couldn't play defense against a chair.

I think too often, people look at what a player has done strictly from an offensive pov and base value off of that. I "watched" him during the playoffs ever since the blogs that I frequent listed him as a viable option that could benefit from playing in gentry's system.

Tl:dr, the bar was set pretty low already so my hopes weren't as unrealistic to think they had a shot at KD or someone like that. They addressed two needs and according to practically every non biased pelican article I've read, they all have praised the pelicans off-season thus far.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
So basically there's no move the Lakers could do that you'd disagree with.

This is rhubarb levels of homerism.

Even I would bristle at the deals given to Mozgov and Deng if it were rhubarb. Then again OKC is going to lose KD and RUSS soon because SMALL MARKET so we'll see how I really react to some shitty contracts next summer.