• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2016-17 NBA Season: no IT ITT

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
Unless ego gets in the way (Shaq and Kobe), GSW is in tremendous shape moving forward.

Durant and Curry are 28, Thompson and Draymond are 26.

sayo

YEET
They should unload Kyrie and/or Love and see if you can get a versatile wing (George or Butler?) And a 3 and D pg. Their roster isn't veratile enough to play gs and is pretty clunky trying to play small.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
It doesn't really matter immediately, I can't remember when the other two's deals are up and KD/Curry need to resign this off-season first. But Klay is the odd-man out IMO.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Yeah they have 2 more seasons of this before Klay's deal is up. Their salary is going to be insanity though :laughing:

Durant at $30ish
Curry 30ish
Klay 18
Dray 16.5

Solid $95m already

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
He will not get re-upped. They're all getting max money, you can't have 4. Unless they all take less and Klay leaves a max offer on the table to stay.

He is on contract for two more years. When the time comes GSW can pay him the max if they want - they would just have to to pay the luxury tax. Durant has talked about taking less money to keep them all together. We'll see, but I think they will find away to make it work. These guys appear to like to play together and seem unselfish.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
He is on contract for two more years. When the time comes GSW can pay him the max if they want - they would just have to to pay the luxury tax. Durant has talked about taking less money to keep them all together. We'll see, but I think they will find away to make it work. These guys appear to like to play together and seem unselfish.

Did they get rid of the repeater tax?

Like I said, if they all leave $80m-$100m on the table then yes they can stay together, but barring that I seriously doubt the Dubs pay $120m to 4 players

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
Did they get rid of the repeater tax?

Like I said, if they all leave $80m-$100m on the table then yes they can stay together, but barring that I seriously doubt the Dubs pay $120m to 4 players

IDK. Trying to understand the basketball salary cap would take way more brain power than I am willing to invest. Teams have the ability to overpay where it doesn't count against the cap or luxury task. Also the cap is projected to rise from 94 to 102 million over the next couple of years. It will be a challenge as you noted to keep them together, but it's doable if each player agrees to take some off the top (like the Spurs did a few years back).

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
IDK. Trying to understand the basketball salary cap would take way more brain power than I am willing to invest. Teams have the ability to overpay where it doesn't count against the cap or luxury task. Also the cap is projected to rise from 94 to 102 million over the next couple of years. It will be a challenge as you noted to keep them together, but it's doable if each player agrees to take some off the top (like the Spurs did a few years back).
they made it even more expensive though, and curry will take up 35% by hisself. it's a mess to understand you're right about that but i really dont think it's possible to have all 4 take their max offers and stay. i don't know that it would even be smart. it's two years away tho and we'll see if durant and curry do take their money. curry better take it tho, he's paid 12m this year and has been playing for pennies compared to even average talent

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator

@OU11 you are probably right. That is a lot of money to pay (even though they would be very much in the black). They would still be great with Durant, Curry and Draymond.

They also know the Warriors may not be able to afford their team as the four stars sign mammoth new deals, potentially starting with Durant and Curry this summer. Depending on what happens with Iguodala, Shaun Livingston, and Zaza Pachulia -- also free agents in July -- the Warriors could vault $20 million over the tax next season, and $30 million over in 2018-19.

Thompson becomes eligible for a new deal that summer. Max him out, and the payroll could crack $300 million with extra penalties for repeat taxpayers. And that is factoring conservatively, with Iguodala and Livingston off the books after 2019; a below-market estimate for Patrick McCaw (a restricted free agent after next season); and the rest of the roster filled with minimum contracts, cost-controlled first-rounders, and cheapo second-round picks. (The Warriors have traded their second-round picks in each of the next three drafts, but they are trying to buy back into this draft, according to several league sources.)

Then comes Green, in the summer of 2020. If he hits free agency eligible for the super-max designated player extension, the Warriors are looking at a roster bill approaching $440 million. Coaxing two of the stars into below-market deals wouldn't make enough of a dent. They also paid almost $50 million into the league's revenue-sharing system last season, according to sources familiar with the data.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
So is everyone a max player these days?

Until the cap settles, yes. Because a max this year won't be a max next year or the year after. If that makes sense. Klay is an elite 3 and D guy though so if he doesn't fall off he's probably guaranteed a max

Tailback U

It's too bad it took 3 games for the Cavs to start playing like they actually gave a shit.

I was actually more impressed with LeBruh this series than last year, and he was unreal last season, too. He's simply unstoppable when he wants to be.

Cavs live and die with Kyrie, though. He is a different version of RUSS in that he can single handedly take a game over and is a constant highlight reel but I'm not so sure he actually makes his team better. Unbelievable offensive talent and ability to finish but he isn't exactly the ultimate team player and that's what you ultimately need at the PG position.

It's been exhausted but the Warriors needed Durant. The criticism will continue but LeBron is arguably the best player of all time and when you have the opportunity to get the 2nd best player in the league so one of the best players of all time doesn't embarrass you again, you do it.

Warriors needed Durant as much as Durant needed them. He wasn't ever going to beat the Warriors or Cavs with RUSS in OKC.

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
Most of the outrage I see regarding Durant to the warriors is from people who salty he didn't sign with them

People keep talking about he took the easy route. I disagree strongly

If a company wanted to hire you making more money with less stress and headaches, would you turn it down because it's the easy route?

ebarws6

stAy
Yeah, KD wasn't just gonna sacrifice part of his career to go some place other than the warriors just for the sake of more competition in the league, it's only about getting that ring for him. Of course he chose GSW. If anyone else is in his position they'd do the same

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Most of the outrage I see regarding Durant to the warriors is from people who salty he didn't sign with them

People keep talking about he took the easy route. I disagree strongly

If a company wanted to hire you making more money with less stress and headaches, would you turn it down because it's the easy route?

Jesus. Almost everyone is just mad he went to the warriors, there would be significantly less anger if he signed anywhere else.

Disagree strongly and then say if a company offered you an easy route would you take it? So he did take the easiest route. Good. I agree.

That said watching the Finals, this is all I've ever wanted to see from him. I always wondered what he'd be like in an offense that max'd his talents. He's as good or better than I thought he would be and it was fun to watch. He hit so many FUCK YOU threes and stomped out so many Cavs runs by hisself. If he gets better the next two years are going to be 16-0 in the playoffs with an average victory of 45

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Yeah, KD wasn't just gonna sacrifice part of his career to go some place other than the warriors just for the sake of more competition in the league, it's only about getting that ring for him. Of course he chose GSW. If anyone else is in his position they'd do the same

They haven't, but I'm sure most wanted to or would want to given the opportunity. I would for sure, but I'd just take the draymond approach and thank people for having me at the forefront of their minds and all that. I wouldn't say I was making it hard for myself. He just was an idiot for the way he went about it, but I think he'll settle in next year and just say "look how pretty this shit is! Why wouldn't I want to play in this and win by 40 every night?"

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
Jesus. Almost everyone is just mad he went to the warriors, there would be significantly less anger if he signed anywhere else.

Disagree strongly and then say if a company offered you an easy route would you take it? So he did take the easiest route. Good. I agree.

That said watching the Finals, this is all I've ever wanted to see from him. I always wondered what he'd be like in an offense that max'd his talents. He's as good or better than I thought he would be and it was fun to watch. He hit so many FUCK YOU threes and stomped out so many Cavs runs by hisself. If he gets better the next two years are going to be 16-0 in the playoffs with an average victory of 45

my point is and remains, why are people angry in the first damn place?

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
my point is and remains, why are people angry in the first damn place?

Ignorance? The only reason that people are supposedly salty is that he "took the easy way out" in joining a 73 win team. They seem to have forgotten that Payton and Malone did the same thing in Los Angeles (probably works if Malone doesn't hurt is ankle in the Finals vs Detroit), and of course Lebron did in Miami.

Of course Durant wanted to win, but I think style of play had just as much to do with it. If you were a basketball shooting savant would you want to watch Russell pound the ball into oblivion, or would you like to be in GSW's motion offense with open shots, ball movement and unselfish play.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Ignorance? The only reason that people are supposedly salty is that he "took the easy way out" in joining a 73 win team. They seem to have forgotten that Payton and Malone did the same thing in Los Angeles (probably works if Malone doesn't hurt is ankle in the Finals vs Detroit), and of course Lebron did in Miami.

Of course Durant wanted to win, but I think style of play had just as much to do with it. If you were a basketball shooting savant would you want to watch Russell pound the ball into oblivion, or would you like to be in GSW's motion offense with open shots, ball movement and unselfish play.
Payton and Malone were old and Lebron got a lot of people salty.

evil1

After two blowouts, I thought the last 3 games of the Finals were very entertaining. My one complaint is the general lack of defense shown in this series. It was like an old ABA game where the offensive stats were inflated. If Cleveland wants to examine what they can do to beat the Warriors, they should look first to their defense. You cannot allow the other team to average 121 pts per game and expect to win.

LeBron James and Kyrie Irving played Kevin Durant and Steph Curry to a standstill.
  • Durant + Curry: 62 pts/game, 16.4 reb/game, 14.8 assists/game
  • LeBron +Irving: 63 pts/game, 16.0 rebs/game, 14.4 assists/game
So it wasn't the top 2 players that made the difference for Golden State. It was really players 3 through 7 that came through for the Warriors. For example, in last night's game Cleveland's bench was outscored 31 to 7.

Going forward, Golden State's owners have a decision to make. Do they break the bank to keep this nucleus with Kevin Durant together, or do they start letting players go to reduce the salary cap numbers? [insert OKC argument here]

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
After two blowouts, I thought the last 3 games of the Finals were very entertaining. My one complaint is the general lack of defense shown in this series. It was like an old ABA game where the offensive stats were inflated. If Cleveland wants to examine what they can do to beat the Warriors, they should look first to their defense. You cannot allow the other team to average 121 pts per game and expect to win.

LeBron James and Kyrie Irving played Kevin Durant and Steph Curry to a standstill.
  • Durant + Curry: 62 pts/game, 16.4 reb/game, 14.8 assists/game
  • LeBron +Irving: 63 pts/game, 16.0 rebs/game, 14.4 assists/game
So it wasn't the top 2 players that made the difference for Golden State. It was really players 3 through 7 that came through for the Warriors. For example, in last night's game Cleveland's bench was outscored 31 to 7.

Going forward, Golden State's owners have a decision to make. Do they break the bank to keep this nucleus with Kevin Durant together, or do they start letting players go to reduce the salary cap numbers? [insert OKC argument here]

3-8 Warriors
Thompson (stud 2 way player)
Green (Def POY candidate, smart passer)
Iguodala (former stud, still good)
Livingston (long PG, smart)
Pachulia (meh, effective w/picks and being physical)

3-8 Cavs
Love (to inconsistent)
Thompson (good rebounder, that's about it)
Smith (streaky 3 pt shooter, was good last 3 games)
Shumpert (meh)
Jefferson (former stud, effective at times)

If you want to go finish it out the Warriors can play Ian Clark, Javale McGee, David West and the McCaw kid - all legit guys who can give you minutes.

The Cavs really only play 2 more guys in Korver, Deron Williams (ugh) at the 9 and 10 spots. Korver was a disappointment and Williams is shit.

MSUFanatic

Why are people comparing what LeBron did to what kd did still? It's not even close to the same. Miami was shit before LeBron joined. Golden State was already one of the best teams of all time. :laughing:

Oh don't get into a logistical pretzel and claim the team Bron went to was some mediocre band of brothers that scraped together 47 wins, because that wasn't even close to the team LeBron knew he was going to end up signing with. They are definitely different, but they both did it for the same reasons, to win titles. Let's not get it twisted that Bron got in at the ground level to build something great at Miami.

sayo

YEET
Oh don't get into a logistical pretzel and claim the team Bron went to was some mediocre band of brothers that scraped together 47 wins, because that wasn't even close to the team LeBron knew he was going to end up signing with. They are definitely different, but they both did it for the same reasons, to win titles. Let's not get it twisted that Bron got in at the ground level to build something great at Miami.
But even with LeBron, that team wasn't as good as GS sans KD lol. It's not the same thing.

sayo

YEET
Wade, who was Miami's best player and maybe the best teammate LeBron has ever had has never been on Steph's level. They have 2 of the top 3 players in the game bro. It's not even close to the same thing.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
Why are people comparing what LeBron did to what kd did still? It's not even close to the same. Miami was shit before LeBron joined. Golden State was already one of the best teams of all time. :laughing:

I will agree that GSW was a better situation, but let's not rewrite history and dismiss what he joined - it was a "super-team".

Wade (or maybe Kobe, I liked Wade) was the best 2G in the game at the time Lebron made the decision in 2010. He was around 26 pt, 5 reb, 6 ast per and at age 29 still in his prime. Bosh was considered one of the best PF (avg 22 pt 10 reb in Toronto) and was only 26. They also picked up Mike Miller who was considered one of the best 3-pt shooters in the game at the time.

MSUFanatic

But even with LeBron, that team wasn't as good as GS sans KD lol. It's not the same thing.

We don't really know how good the Miami team with all pieces together without LeBron would had been because it never took place (at least not until Bron came and went - and Wades got AIDS and Bosh became a Xarelto spokes person). The means to the end is the same thing about it. Both players saw competition and cut it off at it's knees by putting the most talent they could around themselves with the teams they went to.

sayo

YEET
I will agree that GSW was a better situation, but let's not rewrite history and dismiss what he joined - it was a "super-team".

Wade (or maybe Kobe, I liked Wade) was the best 2G in the game at the time Lebron made the decision in 2010. He was around 26 pt, 5 reb, 6 ast per and at age 29 still in his prime. Bosh was considered one of the best PF (avg 22 pt 10 reb in Toronto) and was only 26. They also picked up Mike Miller who was considered one of the best 3-pt shooters in the game at the time.
2nd best SG in the game at the time doesn't mean anything. We can play that game.

Steph- best pg in the game. 2 time MVP in his prime.
Klay- top 3 sg and one of the best defensive wing players in the league. Top 3 shooter ever. In his prime.
Draymond- best pf in the league (ad is a center)and most versatile defender in the league.

sayo

YEET
We don't really know how good the Miami team with all pieces together without LeBron would had been because it never took place (at least not until Bron came and went - and Wades got AIDS and Bosh became a Xarelto spokes person). The means to the end is the same thing about it. Both players saw competition and cut it off at it's knees by putting the most talent they could around themselves with the teams they went to.
No. You misread. I said Miami with LeBron wasn't as good as Golden state the last two seasons (sans KD)