• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2017-18 NBA Thread

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
27545540_1679125868850454_3596670876506931711_n.png

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Chuck is the best

"Listen, I told ya, everybody think they married to a playboy bunny, most people married to rabbits"

bruin

Paul George basically popped wood on the court with the "We want Paul" chants.

He so coming.

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison

it really grinds my gears that dudes who pose legit threats from 3 pump fake, get the dude in the air, only to sidestep, and miss the shot instead of letting the dude land on them and getting a trip to the line for 3

Harden has mastered this....shocked other players dont do it more often

Reel

Community Liaison
Reel loves watching free throws, apparently
its the smart play imo :dunno:

you keep them honest by keeping them on the floor during closeouts once you get them in the air fouling you a couple of times

NML

It’s just a weird take to say it makes you mad when they don’t jump into players haha

Reel

Community Liaison
It’s just a weird take to say it makes you mad when they don’t jump into players haha
ah ok...i see the disconnect

i should've been more specific...bad habit

but like with the pels, for a team desperate for scoring outside of AD, when you have an opportunity to

1. get the opposing team in the the bonus EARLY. For a team that at one point lead the league in point in the paint, for now, they dont have that luxury and will have to depend on more scoring from outside of it, UNLESS they can actually convert more of their attempts at the rim off penetration, cutting to the basket, etc..
  2. get a key player (hopefully) in early foul trouble
  3. get some early confidence going in your role players
  4. get more FT attempts than the opposing team
  5. keep the defense honest on closeouts (already mentioned)
i think you have to take advantage of these opportunities. But I guess it also depends on where you place the most value on shot selection and if you sperg out over analytics. 2/3 at the line is still >> than a missed 3pt attempt

but to ya'lls point, yea, a dude like Dirk dont need that kinda weight coming down on him. I said what i said obviously assuming that the shooter would do the best thing to do to protect themselves.

But ya'lls point is still a good one

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
Reel your theory is 10/10. Your execution of said theory is about a 2/10.

Nobody pump fakes and lets a defender just crash into them. This is the NBA and defenders understand how to close out even when jumping not to clobber a shooter. That's a great way to get a flagrant. Its also a great way to get significantly hurt because some 220+ guy just came full speed right at your face. Guys sidestep to have a clear look at the basket.

What you're asking for is more players to jump up into the defending player's path in order to create slight contact and force the ref to blow a whistle for a foul on a close out.

You basically want more of a pump fake version of the rip move. As a ref, you should be ashamed of what you just did.

Reel

Community Liaison
Reel your theory is 10/10. Your execution of said theory is about a 2/10.

Nobody pump fakes and lets a defender just crash into them. This is the NBA and defenders understand how to close out even when jumping not to clobber a shooter. That's a great way to get a flagrant. Its also a great way to get significantly hurt because some 220+ guy just came full speed right at your face. Guys sidestep to have a clear look at the basket.

What you're asking for is more players to jump up into the defending player's path in order to create slight contact and force the ref to blow a whistle for a foul on a close out.

You basically want more of a pump fake version of the rip move. As a ref, you should be ashamed of what you just did.
ehhhh

i didnt think that was what i was explaining, but thanks for your pov...reel spill

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
So youre asking for the 220+ pound guy to land directly on you while hes midair with limbs flailing as the shooter?

I also dont know what reels pill is? Is that like FireLeSmiles.com?

fignuts

See You Next Wednesday
Helps that Rubio is finally showing signs of life after sleep-walking through the first portion of the season.

evil1

who was that dumb old motherfucker that just came out a day or two ago and said Paul Pierce was the best offensive Celtics player of all time???

Um, Robert Parish. NBA Hall of Famer. Spent 21 years in the league, including 14 seasons with the Celtics. Was Larry Bird's teammate for a decade.

I don't necessarily agree, but Parish explained why he thought so and it is at least in the ballpark for a discussion.

Reel

Community Liaison
someone on the twitta said if Pierce had come into the league like 15 yrs later, his ceiling would be Allen Crabbe

c8fqmm2rwt8f.png

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
IDGAF about boston, but I do hate me some Paul Pierce. That his last act in the NBA was whining like a baby over and over again on television because he didn't want anyone else to get applause on "his night" is a fitting end.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
IDGAF about boston, but I do hate me some Paul Pierce. That his last act in the NBA was whining like a baby over and over again on television because he didn't want anyone else to get applause on "his night" is a fitting end.

To be fair that was an incredibly dumb idea

Wolfman21

in the end, someone else did get applause....the other team

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
I personally like my GOAT's to be responsible for more than 1 shampship and 1 Exec of the Year award (10 years ago!). But I guess that's just me, doe...

-YTC