• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2018 Motor Racing thread

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
I used to go the July Pocono race as a kid. My family had great seats right on the start-finish line. I would watch about the half the race and then go explore the merchandise haulers and be back in time for the finish. Our seats had a great view of them entering turn 1 and then down the backstretch heading into the tunnel turn. Then, Pocono built the Pit Road Pavilion which blocked our view of the backstretch. For a few years, we had seats closer to turn 3 where we could see the cars come out of the tunnel turn and then enter and exit turn 3. Usually had dinner on the way in Allentown because by then it was 8 or 9 o'clock and we were starving. Can't imagine this race with a 3 pm start time. I want to say when I went in the 80s the race was a noon or 1 pm start.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
He has always choked under pressure. Sucks because he actually seems like a decent guy.
Except for running everyone off the track whenever he gets the chance. Fuck him. I'm no Hamilton fan, but I hope he takes whatever's left of Rosberg's will to win.

Bdub

To be fair guys like Senna and Schumacher where way worse than anything Rosberg has done and those guys are considered the greatest ever.

Bdub

True, but I was never a Schumacher fan either.
Also if Hamilton pulled that shit, they would have gone on about how he is such a great competitor. I am no Rosberg or Hamilton fan either way. Alonso is my favorite driver so I just cheer for a shakeup at this point.

Wolfman21

Im starting to think indycar makes more sense now thats a bs way to screw chase out of the chase

He's gotta start finishing races again at some point. At first it was bad luck...but 6 straight races...he's gotta get the checkers with no damage again or he can kiss his chase chances goodbye

JAR201166

You mean how every series on earth does things? You get a certain amount of points every race. Driver with the most points at the end of the year is champion. Ground breaking!
No I mean finishing a race another time if it rains or go to rain tires an wipers

Wolfman21

i want you to be the one to talk the drivers into going 180 into turn 1 at pocono on rain tires and wipers. Even if the speeds were slowed due to the rain, you're lookin at going upwards of 150 mph going into a flat turn. Don't care what kinda rain tires they got, that ain't gonna work.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Also if Hamilton pulled that shit, they would have gone on about how he is such a great competitor. I am no Rosberg or Hamilton fan either way. Alonso is my favorite driver so I just cheer for a shakeup at this point.
My favorite memory of the Schumacher/Alonso battles in 05/06 was when Schumacher's Ferrari blew up while leading at Suzuka, and Alonso waved bye-bye to him as he passed. God I hated Ferrari for a good 6 years there. Especially after they horsefucked Barrichello out of a win that he earned.

Bdub

My favorite memory of the Schumacher/Alonso battles in 05/06 was when Schumacher's Ferrari blew up while leading at Suzuka, and Alonso waved bye-bye to him as he passed. God I hated Ferrari for a good 6 years there. Especially after they horsefucked Barrichello out of a win that he earned.
Lawd I really hated Schumacher back then. He was so clinical in his racing. Dude had no flair what so ever.
Always seems like Alonso is a cool guy. Owns his own go cart track and teaches kids how to race in the off-season.

JAR201166

i want you to be the one to talk the drivers into going 180 into turn 1 at pocono on rain tires and wipers. Even if the speeds were slowed due to the rain, you're lookin at going upwards of 150 mph going into a flat turn. Don't care what kinda rain tires they got, that ain't gonna work.
finish another time then

Iron

That fog today was crazy, TV didn't do it justice. Some of the spotter stand pictures were incredible. They couldn't see past the pit boxes let alone turn 1.

Buescher had a lot of shitty luck at the beginning of the year but Front Row has picked it up over the last few weeks.

Iron

It sounds like Jeff Gordon will make his 800th Cup start next week. Sucks his belts came undone. He was probably a top 10 - maybe top 5 car.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
  • NASCAR Zeroes In On Potential Title Sponsors For Cup Series: NASCAR said that it is talking to "roughly a dozen candidates" to replace Sprint as its Cup Series title sponsor, but the governing body has "zeroed in on around three leading candidates and has swapped term sheets with at least one of them," according to sources cited by Adam Stern in this week's SPORTSBUSINESS JOURNAL. Sources said that companies "still in the hunt" include grocery chain Kroger, Yum! Brands, Coca-Cola, South Korea-based Samsung and China-based electronics brand Hisense. There has "been concern in some corners of the industry about how the search is not yet complete, but NASCAR's top sales executive sounded confident a deal will get done." NASCAR Chief Sales Officer Jim O'Connell said, "We're in a really good place; we're exactly where we thought we'd be time-wise." Sources said that NASCAR is "likely to end up with at least a four-year deal" in the $25-35M range in annual rights fees. Sprint's original 10-year deal with NASCAR reportedly was worth $75M in "annual rights and activation fees combined"(Sports Business Daily)(8-3-2016)
    mce-anchor

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
I wonder if Dale will ever fully recover? What happens if he comes back and gets in another wreck? Might be 2 seats to fill at Hendrick.

Wolfman21

I think dale calls it quits in another season or two anyways. Dude is gonna have a kid after getting married and is gonna wanna spend time with it. Not to mention he's getting on up there in age. This injury may just speed that along

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Jimmie isn't getting any younger either. Hendrick needs to farm some talent, or steal some away. If I'm Rick, I dump Kahne and replace him with Larson or Erik Jones. Or both if you have to put someone in the 48 or 88. Just back up a drump truck full of money to their house. Could you imagine that lineup?

Wolfman21

is it just me or does it seem these races are all becoming wreck fests?

Also, i found it interesting that chase apologized to his crew for "having to drive the way he had to drive today". I wish i had more information on that.

Iron

Lotta weird cautions today...Newman's spin, the tire on pit road, Cassill's spin and grass on track.

Jimmie Johnson picked up his first career last place finish - he was actually 2nd in active drivers in this stat - Harvick has yet to finish last in a Cup race.

Wolfman21

Hadn't seen it posted here yet...but Erik Jones will drive the #77 in sprint cup next season as the 2nd furniture row team. Basically the 6th Joe Gibbs car. Main sponsor is 5 hour energy.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Hadn't seen it posted here yet...but Erik Jones will drive the #77 in sprint cup next season as the 2nd furniture row team. Basically the 6th Joe Gibbs car. Main sponsor is 5 hour energy.

They had to get him into Sprint Cup somehow. Otherwise he was gonna get poached.

Iron

If I'm Hendrick, I'm calling William Byron this off season. Jones' is a one-yr deal.

Guessing...
Suarez in Xfinity one more yr
Kenseth retires after 2017
Jones to the #20 in 2018
Suarez to the #77 in 2018

Wolfman21

If I'm Hendrick, I'm calling William Byron this off season. Jones' is a one-yr deal.

Guessing...
Suarez in Xfinity one more yr
Kenseth retires after 2017
Jones to the #20 in 2018
Suarez to the #77 in 2018

Byron drove late models for JRM so...wouldn't be that big of a stretch. I know Hendrick isn't big on the "developmental driver" deal though.