• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2040 Off-Season Thread (ARBITRATION NEEDS TO BE DONE)

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
So far I like this. No idea what I am doing for the most part and I feel like there is a ton of stuff to do to get this team on the right track, but I'm enjoying it.

You'll have less to do tonight when you get the new file since I told you how to export today :laughing:

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
LC did you actually put him on the block in the game? Don't do that. It just pisses him off, you can just tell us on the forum so the players don't get all bitchy and play terribly.

Lloyd Carr

Im getting less sober as the night goes on and my phone is losing battery. Ill be around tomorrow to discuss specifics.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Oh, well that is good to know. Anything else you're keeping from me?

Lots of stuff that I don't even know I'm keeping from you. Ask us before you do things, luckily someone will take him off your hands because he is good but if you did that and couldn't trade him he would play awful and hate you

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Take him off the block. Its the offseason. He will be fine in a couple sims.

Someone started his clock way too early though.

Lloyd Carr

Have any teams ever relocated?

Edit: Ha, I just learned that my team was once located in Bangkok. Question answered.

Edit 2: Has anyone ever controlled this team (Boston/Bangkok), or has it always been computer controlled?

Last edited:

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Someone controlled it for a little while. They were the ones who moved it to Boston. Before then it was our only CPU team when the league started.

Lloyd Carr

Does MLB exist in the confines of the WBL universe? Am I competing with the Red Sox for ticket sales/fans?

Also is there any way to gauge the market size of certain cities? For instance, I'd be interested in knowing the market size of the Buffalo/Toronto area in comparison to the Boston market.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Does MLB exist in the confines of the WBL universe? Am I competing with the Red Sox for ticket sales/fans?

Also is there any way to gauge the market size of certain cities? For instance, I'd be interested in knowing the market size of the Buffalo/Toronto area in comparison to the Boston market.

No it does not, you are competing with no one. I don't think you'd be competing if every team was in the same city. Market size for every city in the world is 4 in the WBL to control the league's economy.

Lloyd Carr

Ah, okay. So basically there is no benefit to relocating, except for your own personal reasons?

I'd consider moving to Buffalo if it were an easy transition. If it's a complicated thing to do, don't bother with it. But if it's something that is easily done, I'd go.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Yeah the benefit is basically just to personalize your team. It is easily done.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Ah, okay. So basically there is no benefit to relocating, except for your own personal reasons?

I'd consider moving to Buffalo if it were an easy transition. If it's a complicated thing to do, don't bother with it. But if it's something that is easily done, I'd go.

I have to get permits for a stadium in Buffalo first, which means I need to bribe some politicians. It will probably take a season or two to get everything lined up for your move.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
We also need to start a grass roots guerrilla marketing movement, are you going to stay the Barnacles?

Lloyd Carr

Do I get any say as far as the dimensions of the stadium? For instance, one of the positives of Boston's stadium is that it is built for the type of team I'm trying to build (base-hit offense and run building, rather than stacking power for HR's). If I moved, I'd want to make sure I got a stadium that allows me to do what I'm trying to do. I like that the park I currently have isn't all that HR friendly.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Do I get any say as far as the dimensions of the stadium? For instance, one of the positives of Boston's stadium is that it is built for the type of team I'm trying to build (base-hit offense and run building, rather than stacking power for HR's). If I moved, I'd want to make sure I got a stadium that allows me to do what I'm trying to do. I like that the park I currently have isn't all that HR friendly park.

Dimensions don't matter, but I can make whatever you want happen when I grease the palms of the permit givers. What matters are the park factors, which we allow a range of .900-1.200

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
We had a rule about changing dimensions (every 5 seasons?), but since you are a new owner moving the team it shouldn't be a problem. We have some upper and lower limits on park factors. Park factors are what you should focus on as dimensions mean nothing.

edit: OU beat me to it.

worst2first

If I take over Tehran I'm moving them somewhere (Shanghai Pandas? New Delhi Rajputs?) and changing their terrible name. I'm all for quirky names but Terrorists is a bit much.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
If I take over Tehran I'm moving them somewhere (Shanghai Pandas? New Delhi Rajputs?) and changing their terrible name. I'm all for quirky names but Terrorists is a bit much.

You gotta admit the logo was spot on though :thumbsup:

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I do wish bdub would have stuck with it, he hasn't played in months tho. I hope he keeps paying the server bill

Lloyd Carr

I'm not too well versed in park factors, so do whatever you've got to do so that the park favors the pitcher and is less HR friendly. That said, still keep it in line with the rest of the league, just leaning more towards a pitcher's park rather than a hitter's park.

Also, since whitey doesn't want them, I'll be the Buffalo Terrorists. Or the Buffalo Armpits.

Actually, lets go with the Buffalo Rock, Flag, and Eagle. Have whitey take over someone else so I can be the rival to the Terrorists.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I desperately needed help in the middle infield. Flat Tire is a talent who hasnt quite figured it out at the ML level yet. The past owner or CPU started his clock way too early, so he is no longer cheap even at 22. Even so, his upside is tremendous.

Gave up a top 5 pick, my #1 overall in 2038 and a solid 3B prospect to get him. I really liked Windineev.

This kind of changed my long-term build plan, as I feel I might have a shot to win sooner than later if I acquire some good pieces this offseason.

Lloyd Carr

I actually went into that trade thinking I was kind of blue blanketing Orlando, given how much he gave up.

Had I not had Gilleland, I wouldn't have traded Bernal. With Gilleland being the 2B of my future (hopefully), Bernal just didn't really have a place on my team. As Orlando mentioned, he's got a decent sized contract, so he was basically dead money on my bench. I probably would have built my team around Bernal instead of Gilleland, had Bernal been more of a contact hitter. Went with the guy I felt most lined-up with my plans for the future.

I am hoping he [Bernal] actually lives up to his potential, because I'll feel bad if he falters. My biggest concern, other than his contract, was his injury history. Dude is more fragile than DeadMan. If he stays healthy though, and Orlando utilizes him well, I think he'll be a good asset for his team.

My 3B situation is shit, so I expect to throw Boerboom right in. I'd have considered the trade with just Boerboom and the draft pick, but Orlando was cool with throwing in Widineev, so who am I to say no? My outfield situation is/was a little murky, so Widineev gives me some sense of solidification in how I feel my outfield will come together, so I'm happy I was able to take him in the deal as well.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Injury prone players are risks I like to take. I may have given up a little too much, but I wanted to give you a couple pieces to build on. Boerboom is ready now and Windineev will be able to play any OF position if you give him reps in the minors. I don't have great drafts, so I dont mind giving up a high pick. I just don't dedicate enough time to looking at the class. It puts the pressure on you a bit more to make it a good one.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
If bernal figures it out its a good trade for both. Dude could be a monster at 2B. Buffalo def needs the extra players