• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2079 Season Thread

jdlikewhoa

I think I'm going to trade everyone of value and rebuild with prospects and picks. Will be back tomorrow when my head is fresh. @Travis7401 , I like that offer to take beacher and Pyke. Could you give me a third in return too?
Just saw this. For Cliff Id take PYKE off your hands and send you a couple prospects.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
I think I'm going to trade everyone of value and rebuild with prospects and picks. Will be back tomorrow when my head is fresh. @Travis7401 , I like that offer to take beacher and Pyke. Could you give me a third in return too?

tenor.gif

Here for the fire sale

TonyGin&Juice

Sucking off Lawn Guy Land hobos.
Dang. Lu is still doin work @Karl Hungus @jdlikewhoa

Imagine what his WAR would be if he were winning a gold glove in RF instead of DHing.

I want to imagine what this shit ass franchise would be like if I had the cheat codes and didn’t trade away all of these GOATs in cum dumps for salary relief. Off the top of my head giving away Lui, Arvelo, Julian Perez, and Ric George easily would have kept us from being the shit we are now.

Really should re-evaluate why I play this fucking game given how badly I fuck it up.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I want to imagine what this shit ass franchise would be like if I had the cheat codes and didn’t trade away all of these GOATs in cum dumps for salary relief. Off the top of my head giving away Lui, Arvelo, Julian Perez, and Ric George easily would have kept us from being the shit we are now.

Really should re-evaluate why I play this fucking game given how badly I fuck it up.
Price to pay for Rand Gadd

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Looking over @hayvis roster, he's actually got a STACKED middle infield. Someone who needs a 2B (not me) should trade for CLIFF GOAT so that Hayvis can promote his AAA stud 2B and also save some money. There must be a WIN WIN trade here. I would definitely do this, but I have my own GOAT at 2B.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Just saw this. For Cliff Id take PYKE off your hands and send you a couple prospects.

I think I've sorted out a deal with @Travis7401 over Pyke. I'm up for the idea of shopping Cliff (or anyone really). I'd want a 1st rounder two prospects and to take Beacher (one year player option off my hands) - he can provide outfield backup but is a little expensive for it which is what I want to avoid (4m). I know @doh is after Cliff, but can't reduce my salary which along with picks is where I want to go.

In a nutshell - Cliff + Beacher for a 1st + two prospects (preferably American and not complete shit or with character issues).

NML

I think I've sorted out a deal with @Travis7401 over Pyke. I'm up for the idea of shopping Cliff (or anyone really). I'd want a 1st rounder two prospects and to take Beacher (one year player option off my hands) - he can provide outfield backup but is a little expensive for it which is what I want to avoid (4m). I know @doh is after Cliff, but can't reduce my salary which along with picks is where I want to go.

In a nutshell - Cliff + Beacher for a 1st + two prospects (preferably American and not complete shit or with character issues).

I’ll take Beacher for ur second rounder. Also, I can be a third team to move Cliff through (trade him to me, I retain salary, move him to doh or whoever)

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
I’ll take Beacher for ur second rounder. Also, I can be a third team to move Cliff through (trade him to me, I retain salary, move him to doh or whoever)

What's the deal for Cliff? Travis has offered to take Pyke for my second rounder, so that's probably gone. I'm going to really need my draft picks too if I'm getting rid of all of my best players.

NML

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
I'm not going to take an extra hit for an 11m guy who's worth 11m.... Doh's offer isn't really worth it.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
As long as I can clear enough salary to afford my draft picks I'm happy. Fire sale can wait for another day.

NML

That’s why I said the third party should send me stuff OR send you more. If they get a 5 WAR player for free, you should get a good haul

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
That’s why I said the third party should send me stuff OR send you more. If they get a 5 WAR player for free, you should get a good haul

Hopefully..... I won't hold my breath. If I had controls over the league, I would offer newcomers or returners a deal to compete (expansion draft or some kind of boost) as it seems extremely difficult to get going, especially as a newcomer to the game. Apart from you and Travis, I've had fuck all help or guidance getting going, which would have ben fine if the game wasn't so unforgiving.

There are some in this league that seem to like to go out and win against fuck all competition, which is massively to it's detriment. I'm not sure if that's a conscious thing, and you and Travis have been extremely helpful when asked, but here we are... Rather than take a bad deal, I will just turn to auto for 7 years (other than the draft) and come back to the game, rather then feel short changed, struggle and basically not enjoy it. Btw, I don't feel badly towards anyone, it's just that I can make the game work better like that at this stage.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member

If Doh gives you that draft pick, then I'll go with his offer btw.

TonyGin&Juice

Hopefully..... I won't hold my breath. If I had controls over the league, I would offer newcomers or returners a deal to compete (expansion draft or some kind of boost) as it seems extremely difficult to get going, especially as a newcomer to the game. Apart from you and Travis, I've had fuck all help or guidance getting going, which would have ben fine if the game wasn't so unforgiving.

There are some in this league that seem to like to go out and win against fuck all competition, which is massively to it's detriment. I'm not sure if that's a conscious thing, and you and Travis have been extremely helpful when asked, but here we are... Rather than take a bad deal, I will just turn to auto for 7 years (other than the draft) and come back to the game, rather then feel short changed, struggle and basically not enjoy it. Btw, I don't feel badly towards anyone, it's just that I can make the game work better like that at this stage.

giphy.gif

Imma have to ask you to sit ur muppet ass down fella and not do that shit.

While I agree with you on the "some here just want to WIN BABBY and fuck everyone else" I think you also joined the league at a really odd time. My immersion has been 20/80 VERY LOW for at least a year (so 3-4 seasons) even though my team hasn't been awful but that's slowly changing (especially if @doh sends me this TRUCK STOP TRUCKER guy). That combined with @Wolfman21 disappearing, @jdlikewhoa being on AUTOPILOT and winning WITHOUT dumping salary in South Beach, @Orlando disappearing from da clurb, and @NML going on psuedo-autopilot the league has been @doh pounding the Topia league senseless and @Karl Hungus taking the script AJ Preller is trying to use in Sun Diego but actually executing it successfully in da World league.

If I were you I wouldn't "break up the band" or go on autopilot but make a couple of changes this offseason that will fix ur financial situation. As has already been covered - increase your ticket prices now and in the offseason so you aren't stuck in LOL p00rz mode. Step two would be to send Jason Garner to DFA-ville; guy is not even an AAAA and wasting both a roster spot and $500K on ur money walking guys. Don't move Cliff or Juan Franco - both of those guys are signed to fair deals for the next three seasons so you've got a good core of hitters that can actually play a position to anchor your rebuild. Your team/org isn't so bad that you need to just tear down and go on TANKING autopilot to score the best draft positions but you also don't have enough in the pipeline to really go on a sustained run. That said, you have a VERY good shot at making the playoffs this season if you can dump some of the bad pitching (GARNER) and sign a couple of the inning eaters free agent middle relievers sitting out there looking for <$1M. That won't boost your budget for next season but it WILL give you a start towards increasing your budget.

Tearing down a team when your farm is weak is difficult to do and not end up set back a decade (or more). Having done that multiple times (and failing every time) I really recommend you not do that and really focus on building up ur farm pipeline. One thing I finally did that actually worked was MAXED out my development budget and stopped trading away my 1st round draft picks. Sadly you weren't around when my immersion was at 80/80 VERY HIGH or you could have been the recipient of five years of first for me like the guy that used to run Little Rock did back in the 2060s did for a starter that wound up getting injured and sucking ass.

Just throwing this out there but if you want an AMERICAN that's a NOT EVEN CORNER OUTFIELDER but a GOAT hitter I'd be willing to send 2079 Rookie of the Year Jim 'Snatch' Vickers to Paris since I have 10 DH/1Bs under contract for the foreseeable future and you have some pieces that are blocked in ur minor league system. Just something to consider.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator

Did you ask for guidance? I gave you a rundown yesterday and I’m pretty sure I offered help when you joined, but I’m not sure you wanted to hear it.

It shouldn’t be up to the league to make a team successful. That is the owner’s job.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
giphy.gif

Imma have to ask you to sit ur muppet ass down fella and not do that shit.

While I agree with you on the "some here just want to WIN BABBY and fuck everyone else" I think you also joined the league at a really odd time. My immersion has been 20/80 VERY LOW for at least a year (so 3-4 seasons) even though my team hasn't been awful but that's slowly changing (especially if @doh sends me this TRUCK STOP TRUCKER guy). That combined with @Wolfman21 disappearing, @jdlikewhoa being on AUTOPILOT and winning WITHOUT dumping salary in South Beach, @Orlando disappearing from da clurb, and @NML going on psuedo-autopilot the league has been @doh pounding the Topia league senseless and @Karl Hungus taking the script AJ Preller is trying to use in Sun Diego but actually executing it successfully in da World league.

If I were you I wouldn't "break up the band" or go on autopilot but make a couple of changes this offseason that will fix ur financial situation. As has already been covered - increase your ticket prices now and in the offseason so you aren't stuck in LOL p00rz mode. Step two would be to send Jason Garner to DFA-ville; guy is not even an AAAA and wasting both a roster spot and $500K on ur money walking guys. Don't move Cliff or Juan Franco - both of those guys are signed to fair deals for the next three seasons so you've got a good core of hitters that can actually play a position to anchor your rebuild. Your team/org isn't so bad that you need to just tear down and go on TANKING autopilot to score the best draft positions but you also don't have enough in the pipeline to really go on a sustained run. That said, you have a VERY good shot at making the playoffs this season if you can dump some of the bad pitching (GARNER) and sign a couple of the inning eaters free agent middle relievers sitting out there looking for <$1M. That won't boost your budget for next season but it WILL give you a start towards increasing your budget.

Tearing down a team when your farm is weak is difficult to do and not end up set back a decade (or more). Having done that multiple times (and failing every time) I really recommend you not do that and really focus on building up ur farm pipeline. One thing I finally did that actually worked was MAXED out my development budget and stopped trading away my 1st round draft picks. Sadly you weren't around when my immersion was at 80/80 VERY HIGH or you could have been the recipient of five years of first for me like the guy that used to run Little Rock did back in the 2060s did for a starter that wound up getting injured and sucking ass.

Just throwing this out there but if you want an AMERICAN that's a NOT EVEN CORNER OUTFIELDER but a GOAT hitter I'd be willing to send 2079 Rookie of the Year Jim 'Snatch' Vickers to Paris since I have 10 DH/1Bs under contract for the foreseeable future and you have some pieces that are blocked in ur minor league system. Just something to consider.

Haha. Just trying to get some guilt on the go... My development budget is fairly decent, and I am trying to get picks. I also shoved my ticket prices up and am netting less than when they were bargain basement (I've upped them by $10 but I have less than half the crowd..).

TonyGin&Juice

Haha. Just trying to get some guilt on the go... My development budget is fairly decent, and I am trying to get picks. I also shoved my ticket prices up and am netting less than when they were bargain basement (I've upped them by $10 but I have less than half the crowd..).

Really take a look at Vickers. I like him but I can't handle this bad defense any longer.

Re: Picks - some will disagree but if you aren't a HAVE get as many picks as you can and just skip IFA altogether. Minus one guy miraculously developing (Navaras) IFA has been a total waste for me for decades. Draft picks on the other hand have worked out pretty well for me since I MAXED out the development budget.

NML

Just a few thoughts

- as I mentioned before, it’s REALLY tough to go from the bottom to the top, and even if you can do, it’s going to take a decade of success. The hardest part, as you are seeing, is the initial hurdle out of the bottom five or so budgets

- there’s not as many active owners as there once was, meaning that it’s harder to get value out of trades (simply because there are less people to trade with) and tanking to try and build up a system is harder because 3+ teams are on auto and naturally bad

- the nature of the economics of baseball means teams can both be really good and still have a better farm system than you, which is a vicious cycle to try and break

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
You gotta ease your ticket prices up. When I looked at your revenue history, I’m not sure your low prices hurt you that much. The key is that when you start doing things that generate higher attendance that isn’t changing ticket prices, you will want seats for those fans and for them to pay more.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Did you ask for guidance? I gave you a rundown yesterday and I’m pretty sure I offered help when you joined, but I’m not sure you wanted to hear it.

It shouldn’t be up to the league to make a team successful. That is the owner’s job.

This league seems to want new players, and it really is set up extremely if not fucking impossibly badly for that. I'm not leaving or asking for free blowjobs or anything, I'm just fucking frustrated with the game for offering me NOTHING when in all other games/circumstances I would have at least some collateral. I'm just pointing out the obvious.

NML

I think the league likes the idea of new players, but in reality it hurts their chances of winning so there’s a disconnect. Wasn’t Sooner bitching last page about us trying to help you?

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
I'm being a bitch (but with some truth). The problem I have is because there's not enough human players. It's very frustrating I can't trade to a cpu team. And also ease of FA and how appalling the CPU is at drafting are also hurting. Is there no way the league can shrink?

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
This league seems to want new players, and it really is set up extremely if not fucking impossibly badly for that. I'm not leaving or asking for free blowjobs or anything, I'm just fucking frustrated with the game for offering me NOTHING when in all other games/circumstances I would have at least some collateral. I'm just pointing out the obvious.
You have collateral. The main problem is many teams people have taken over have been neglected (although sometime Otto does just fine). Also, you not knowing the sport and then diving into a gimmick team hurt you. I don’t think this is a reason to give new owners mandated help. If owners decide to be charitable with you, that is their choice. You have not asked for any help or guidance until you got frustrated when you basically just admitted you had no idea how the game or sport works. That’s fine, but it would have helped you to be more up front with your ask.

TonyGin&Juice

You have collateral. The main problem is many teams people have taken over have been neglected (although sometime Otto does just fine). Also, you not knowing the sport and then diving into a gimmick team hurt you. I don’t think this is a reason to give new owners mandated help. If owners decide to be charitable with you, that is their choice. You have not asked for any help or guidance until you got frustrated when you basically just admitted you had no idea how the game or sport works. That’s fine, but it would have helped you to be more up front with your ask.

I'm over here offering up my PLOEG replacement to this guy. I WANT THIS LEAGUE TO LIVE BABBY.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I'm being a bitch (but with some truth). The problem I have is because there's not enough human players. It's very frustrating I can't trade to a cpu team. And also ease of FA and how appalling the CPU is at drafting are also hurting. Is there no way the league can shrink?
It’s actually not hurting you. This should make it easier for you to be successful on the field as CPU teams are generally trending towards being bad. You will have less trading partners, but trades also don’t always happen in one day. You haven’t really even put other there who you want to trade in the thread dedicated to it.

NML

We contracted two teams like two RL years ago. Could probably do two more, it appears.

I’ve said it for a while now but I’d be in favor of starting over. It’s been 40+ seasons, and - as ur seeing - the gap from bottom to top is huge. I also think it would increase immersion but everyone threatens to quit so :dunno:

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member

I honestly would have had information overload if I didn't just try to learn at the wheel. It's impossible to try to learn a new game (I do know something about baseball), when other people are going to foist different opinions on you - which is what would have happened. At the moment I now know enough about the game to decipher the different opinions, which is why it's now useful.

ALSO - the American thing is HELPING me. It simplifies things massively, and is actually a net benefit at this point.

I'm not asking for it now, but I am suggesting if you have any new hum players then give them SOME EXTRA FUCKING CASH. I think it's quite stupid to dismiss this idea. You would I think get more takers if you could pitch that people aren't simply walking into a 5-10 year click of players without any in game help.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
It’s actually not hurting you. This should make it easier for you to be successful on the field as CPU teams are generally trending towards being bad. You will have less trading partners, but trades also don’t always happen in one day. You haven’t really even put other there who you want to trade in the thread dedicated to it.

I just don't agree with this at all. It doesn't really matter if there is dead wood below me; it doesn't help me climb higher. Also they would probably be much easier to trade with than a bunch of "have" owners.

And does it really matter which thread it's posted in. RLY...... Like the 6 people on this forum are going to miss it.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Also hard tanking is not as good as it used to be because the AI drafts so bad. Look at the value teams are getting at 1-8 and such recently. If tanking mattered that much Little Rock/Fortaleza would be stacked with prospects and instead I took them over and they were bottom 25% of systems. If you want to tank just put out a team of good defense at all positions for cheap then spend money on IFA and grab a few high popularity guys along with your core players. Enough 6th places will eventually turn into 2nd places as long as you draft well (which takes a while to learn to do). I won two ships with Buffalo in this decade despite Doh being great the entire time simply because I built my team to be a hilariously annoying matchup for the both of us and we would go back and forth in that regard. Think I was finishing 3rd in the division every time though.

You can also scout draft classes ahead by looking at the HS and College leagues, usually its enough to tell if hard tanking will even be worth it in a few year's time or if it's a deeper class.

TonyGin&Juice

I honestly would have had information overload if I didn't just try to learn at the wheel. It's impossible to try to learn a new game (I do know something about baseball), when other people are going to foist different opinions on you - which is what would have happened. At the moment I now know enough about the game to decipher the different opinions, which is why it's now useful.

ALSO - the American thing is HELPING me. It simplifies things massively, and is actually a net benefit at this point.

I'm not asking for it now, but I am suggesting if you have any new hum players then give them SOME EXTRA FUCKING CASH. I think it's quite stupid to dismiss this idea. You would I think get more takers if you could pitch that people aren't simply walking into a 5-10 year click of players without any in game help.

Probably a better idea would be for one of the Os to check in on the Otto teams and make sure they aren't totally financially fucked. The game engine has gotten better but when you have Otto teams in a human league things get screwy. In ur case being on Otto the revenue was down too much and increasing ticket prices too much too fast hurts more than helps.

I’ve said it for a while now but I’d be in favor of starting over. It’s been 40+ seasons, and - as ur seeing - the gap from bottom to top is huge. I also think it would increase immersion but everyone threatens to quit so :dunno:

I really don't think starting over would change things though, especially with the engine they're using in OOTP20. Contracting two more teams or bring in NEW BLOOD that are 80/80 VERY HIGH autists is probably the best thing we could do to change things up. Doubt we could find the NEW BLOOD required to make things interesting again but I do think contracting two teams wouldn't hurt anything at this point. The damage done from the last time we had to contract teams is finally healed up so I'm all in favor of killing off two of the OTTO teams and redistributing a few of their prospects.

One idea I could get behind is an AMNESTY DEAL for really bad contracts. You give up a 2nd and 3rd and can kill off a contract that's got three years or less left with an AAV over $20M.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Also I think one other major problem is the lopsidedness in AI to Human in each division. I picked Little Rock because we had the tradition of one O in each league (meanwhile, when's the last time I've simmed :thumbsup:) but TL is 7/8 Humans while WL was (until NML came back) 5/8. So naturally in TL we have all these .450 teams who aren't competing with the AI but rather Doh and each other, while WL teams are posting records clear of .500 because Dam and Lisbon (and until recently, and probably for the near future anyways, UK) are free wins.

I've long said IFA is the problem with our league finances, the top systems all being the best contenders because they have more budget both to spend on IFA and to spend on International Scouting is perhaps the soul reason LV has been good for so long (and active Helga, Dam back in the day)

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
In my defence I don't think I've even done a bad job. I missed out on the playoffs by one game twice which hurt, and for some reason that Tom Pyke Bum had the biggest nosedive ever. My team is only 5-10m away in budget from going deep, which would have probably been there had the ticket prices not been shafted and I'd got one playoff birth.

I would be in favour of contracting. and an amnesty deal on bad contracts. I wouldn't mind if the league was blown up and started over either. I don't mind carrying on, but I think the league is pretty broke dick. I suppose what's happened is by human nature, the die-hards are the ones that have stayed on, and that's never going to be conducive to change/improvement.