• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2080 DRAFT EXTRAVAGANZA!

DO YOU WANT A LIVE DRAFT 1st ROUND?

• Total voters

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I'm not even going to get into MA'SCOUT stuff with KUNG FU, but I like his bat/speed combination. We mentioned it in the PODCAST, but that speed is why I liked him much better than TORKEL. If you got a HIGH CONTACT/GAP bat, then I think the speed plays so well with it (ie NAIL HOOK)

TonyGin&Juice

Sucking off Lawn Guy Land hobos.
Tony's SUB MENDOZA MIF CREATURES are put on notice!

I really wish you could punish these guys in OOTP like you can in actual baseball. All of these bum ass MIFs would be taking the Greyhound from series to series and eating at 7-11 until they turned in their retirement papers or started hitting has as good as they field. Bums.

Schauwn

I think @Schauwn kinda blew it with his double top 5 picks. Burton is a decent SP prospect and a decent OF prospect but he's not CANT MISS at either. With some CANT MISS guys on the board, I expect more from the 1-1 when you are a rebuilding team. A fun player, for sure! TORKEL is fine, but is getting a barely a corner OF with a top 5 pick where you want to be when Jesus comes back?

Part of this is the fact that there were a lot of decent players in the 1st round, but no true SUPERSTAR.... but with two top 5 picks I expect more! To me he coulda had Jack Miller and Campbell!
Hey!

But really, I thought about trading out of 1-1, but there were only a few players that I really liked and everyone else looked like "maybe's..." so I went with the FUN pick at 1-1. As for 1-4, my scout really likes him and saw him as the best corner OF when I was MAKING MY LIST.

We'll see how it turns out, but I didn't think there was anyone in this draft that was really going to turn things around for me, so I went for fun!

TonyGin&Juice

I'm not even going to get into MA'SCOUT stuff with KUNG FU, but I like his bat/speed combination. We mentioned it in the PODCAST, but that speed is why I liked him much better than TORKEL. If you got a HIGH CONTACT/GAP bat, then I think the speed plays so well with it (ie NAIL HOOK)

KUNG FU reminds me a lot of Jim "Snatch Destroyer" Vickers on my current WBL squad - tons of speed, great bat, great gap/power, but no defense or chance of developing any. Great guys to have if you've got the roster space for a guy to platoon at DH and PH but terrible if he's got to be a centerpiece of your lineup. At least Vickers finally figured out how to stop getting caught stealing like Nyjer Morgan.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
This spat shows nothing’s changed! I keep lol-ing at doh AND karl on pace for 115+ wins. It’s amazing they can do that with that massive three million more they lost this season
Your changes were supposed to change the league overnight?

I mean my starting 1B who is 2nd on my team in WAR cost $3m. His platoon partner who has been good cost $1m. My starting 2B who is on pace for 3 WAR cost $1.4m. My 2nd best RP is FA who I got for $4.5m. Starting DH cost $2.2m. I'm not exactly "out spending" everyone with a lot of these guys on my team.

TonyGin&Juice

I mean my starting 1B who is 2nd on my team in WAR cost $3m. His platoon partner who has been good cost $1m. My starting 2B who is on pace for 3 WAR cost $1.4m. My 2nd best RP is FA who I got for $4.5m. Starting DH cost $2.2m. I'm not exactly "out spending" everyone with a lot of these guys on my team.

This a Draft Extravaganza thread b, not a shooting fish in the barrel thread.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member

You have a payroll of 157,000,000

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
@doh also couldn't spend money in IFA because everyone whined about that, but he takes that money to Free Agency and now that is the cause of consternation.

If only the HAVES had warned us that's what would happen. Oh, wait...

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
@doh also couldn't spend money in IFA because everyone whined about that, but now his Free Agency money is the cause of consternation.

If only the HAVES had warned us that's what would happen. Oh, wait...

To be honest whether it's 157m or 120m is neither here nor there. I think trying to level the playing field was a nice idea and finding joy in its failure is just fucking miserable.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Love me some doubles and triples

doh

To be honest whether it's 157m or 120m is neither here nor there. I think trying to level the playing field was a nice idea and finding joy in its failure is just fucking miserable.
Failure? It's been one season. These changes don't happen overnight. The other factor is the changes that were being argued for aren't even going to help. The economy of the game were fine. There were small changes you could've made it to make it better. But it's just about we needed more active owners.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Players surely must have their potential programmed in the from the start, no matter how randomly it reveals itself? I thought ur random switch that you showed me just simply tweaked how randomly you wanted those true potentials to reveal?

Surely Cairos (and all other gems), are examples of players that have been stuck on the unfavourable side of the random development dynamic, and therefore it's even more likely that scouts who are on high budgets are more likely to reveal that fact and their true potential. It would, as I say make it quite likely that those players will come good.
Their potential is programmed from the start but can change. It’s dynamic, not just revealing itself.
This is is how they mimic real life scenarios. This isn’t rigid and pre-determined.

All scouts and OSA are not 100% correct and fall within an 80/20 scale anyway so there is lots of variance.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Failure? It's been one season. These changes don't happen overnight. The other factor is the changes that were being argued for aren't even going to help. The economy of the game were fine. There were small changes you could've made it to make it better. But it's just about we needed more active owners.
The reason you're not getting more owners is accessibility. The league is fucking hard to get into because of disparity. I'm only still her because I'm a fucking masochist that loves to argue.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Their potential is programmed from the start but can change. It’s dynamic, not just revealing itself.
This is is how they mimic real life scenarios. This isn’t rigid and pre-determined.

All scouts and OSA are not 100% correct and fall within an 80/20 scale anyway so there is lots of variance.

I quoted the manual earlier where it says ratings can change based on chance, but it didn’t stop hayvis lol

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Yes. This is backing up what I am saying. The development has a degree of randomness, Karl showed the setting slider. But the true potential of the player is not random. It's going to be set in stone, and the time point at which he reaches it will be different (or he might never reach it). But scouts will sometimes give you a clue as to what that true potential is. In fact I think that's the only real clue we get.
No

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Hey!

But really, I thought about trading out of 1-1, but there were only a few players that I really liked and everyone else looked like "maybe's..." so I went with the FUN pick at 1-1. As for 1-4, my scout really likes him and saw him as the best corner OF when I was MAKING MY LIST.

We'll see how it turns out, but I didn't think there was anyone in this draft that was really going to turn things around for me, so I went for fun!
Hopefully it turns out that you trade him to me!

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Off to bed. Is it ok to make my pick in the morning or is everyone going to be pissed off that I'm not going to be done for 9 hours?

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Off to bed. Is it ok to make my pick in the morning or is everyone going to be pissed off that I'm not going to be done for 9 hours?

giphy.gif

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Hayvis selects DR. EVIL

@doh

Still willing to trade for a pick

This is one of the many players I was going to list as being equivalent or better than LIBERACE! It will be fun to watch their careers relative to each other. I like that his stats got better each year in college and by the end of it he was a solid hitter for a CF.

I feel like DR. Evil should be a decent 4th OF. He's got 50 contact on an ALL YELLOW bat, which will only be good for .600- .650 OPS or so, but he will be 70+ at all OF positions and 1B and adds ELITE BASERUNNING so he can be a pinch runner too. He also has a decent personality! It's nice to have guys like this in your organization so you can pay them 490k-750k to backup several spots for cheap.

doh

The reason you're not getting more owners is accessibility. The league is fucking hard to get into because of disparity. I'm only still her because I'm a fucking masochist that loves to argue.
The playoffs are a total crap shoot. Win 80 games at this point and you'll get a chance to roll the dice. Ask @Rutgers Mike last year...

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I have @hayvis' next pick too, but with NML after we'll have to wait anyway

Still waiting to trade back in. 2081 3rd and 4th (+5ths?) for 2080 3rd

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
@doh also picking a rigger favorite to make me pay for that 1st round pick. I wanted that guy with my sacrificial 2nd rounder. He looked like a nice utility IF GOOD CHEM bench player. @OTTO taking one of my other favorites for Kabul in that same category.