• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Bmack's Astronaut High School football dynasty

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
Nice win! Love the stat line with that long run making it a 150 yard game for mack

THat was on Heisman Mode! I think I played all but the 2nd quarter on Heisman mode for offense. THe 2nd was on All-AMerican. I think this is when I started to realize I'm having a ton of fun with the dynasty again. The play was an I-form ISO, and he ran up into a bunch in the middle of the line about a 1 yard gain, nobody wrapped him up so I bounced it off the pile and there was pretty much nobody on the 2nd level off to the races. Then, I'm playing with the defense on Heisman and this point and Palm Bay puts up two quick scores to make it 17-14. But there is my boy again with the answer with the 30 yard run. The rest of this season and next is going to be fun too. I'm just having so much fun playing the games that i'm behind on getting the details out.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
10/21/1983
Astronaut at Eau Gallie

DEFENSE CARRIES WAR EAGLES

Astronaut’s defense limited the Eau Gallie Commodores to 115 yards en route to a 9-3 win Friday night. Astronaut is now 7-0 on the season. The game was closer than predicted as the winless Commodores put up a stellar defensive performance as well.

The only touchdown of the game came with 5:05 left in the 1[sup]st[/sup] quarter. Astronaut fullback Steve Godfrey scored on a 4 yard run. Kurt Aken’s extra point missed, and the War Eagles took a 6-0 lead.

The next scoring was not until 11:24 left in the game, as Aken atoned for his extra point miss with a 21 yard field goal. Eau Gallie made it 9-3 with a field goal of their own with 5:24 left. Eau Gallie moved to the Astronaut 34 but on the final play Todd Bynum hit the quarterback and the ball was coverd by Astronaut’s Frankie Glenn.

“We’re like a Jekyll and Hyde team,” said Astronaut Coach B. Mack. “We play really well one week and let down the next. You blame that on me and the coaches for not preparing the team. It gives us something to improve upon.”

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
REEL TALK:
This was a 9-0 win for Astronaut. Aken kicked a 34 yard field goal in the 2[sup]nd[/sup] quarter. Steve Godfrey scored on a 7 yard touchdown run in the 4[sup]th[/sup]. He rushed 19 times for 90 yards. Waldron completed just 2 of 13 passes for 25 yards. Eau Gallie managed just 34 yards, minus 3 on the ground. Astronaut now 6-1 in reel life.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
10/28/1983
Astronaut at Orlando Colonial

WAR EAGLES HOLD ON FOR ANOTHER CLOSE WIN

ORLANDO—Astronaut got another close win Friday night over Orlando Colonial to move to 8-0. The War Eagles held on for a 10-7 win with another strong defensive effort.

Astronaut threatened to score in the first quarter but Steve Godfrey was stopped short on 4[sup]th[/sup] and 1 at the Colonial 3 yard line. Astronaut’s only touchdown came with 2:03 left in the first half when Chester Guinyard scored from a yard out. The score capped a 13 play 48 yard drive that consumed 6 and a half minutes.

In the third quarter, Colonial moved the ball but twice missed field goals. Kurt Aken extended the War Eagle lead to 10-0 with a 31 yard field goal with 6:14 left to play in the game. Colonial got its only score with 51 seconds left in the game on a touchdown pass. Astronaut recovered the onside kick attempt to secure the victory.

“These close calls are happening all too often. Our defense has carried us this year,” said Astronaut Coach B. Mack. Astronaut takes on district foe Cocoa next week.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
REEL TALK:

Astronaut wins this one 17-12. They scored two 3[sup]rd[/sup] quarter touchdowns after trailing 6-3 at halftime. The big news however came from Draa Field. Titusville beats Palm Bay 28-0. This puts Palm Bay at 1-1 in district play and gives Astronaut life again. A Palm Bay victory would have clinched the district.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
11/4/1983
Cocoa at Astronaut

ASTRONAUT CRUSHES COCOA

The Astronaut War Eagles put together a completely dominant performance Thursday night at Draa Field over the Cocoa Tigers. Astronaut racked up 441 yards while only allowing 68 in a 35-0 shutout. Astronaut is now 9-0 overall and 2-0 in district play. The War Eagles will face Titusville, who is also 2-0 in the district, in two weeks to determine the district champion.

Ethan Waldron scored first for the War Eagles on a 9 yard run with 5:41 left in the first quarter. The drive went 8 plays for 56 yards taking over 4 minutes. In the second quarter, Matthew Mack scored from 16 yards away with 8:39 remaining. This scored capped an 11 play 62 yard drive taking 6 minutes of game time.

A few moments later, Steve Godfrey scored on a 20 yard run with 5:37 left to stake Astronaut to a 21-0 lead. Godfrey was a workhorse for the War Eagles, carrying 26 times for 147 yards. Astronaut’s final touchdown of the half came when Waldron found Mack for a 5 yard touchdown pass with just 11 seconds left.

Leading 28-0 at halftime, Astronaut Coach B. Mack used his second team for most of the final two periods. The last War Eagle points came with 4:49 left, when sophomore quarterback Keith Mack scored on a two yard touchdown run. The touchdown was set up when Mack hit Freshman tight end Jeff Boyd for a 32 yard pass play. Keith Mack is the son of Astronaut Coach B. Mack, and is the younger brother of running back Matthew Mack. Jeff Boyd is the son of Astronaut defensive coordinator Benny Boyd, and the younger brother of linebacker Benny Boyd, Jr.

“We finally put together a complete game,” said Coach Mack. “We’ve got an off week coming up and so now we have time to prepare for Titusville. Everything is riding on that game, our perfect season, our district title, and bragging rights for the next year around town.”

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
REEL TALK:
Astronaut beat Cocoa 35-6. Waldron had his best game of the season, hitting 10 of 14 passes for 240 yards and 3 touchdowns. One of the touchdowns was an 87 yarder to Bogie Statham. I’m pretty sure that qualifies as the longest play from scrimmage up to this point in school history, although I haven’t checked on it.

This is a good time to bring up an interesting point about the War Eagle offense. In 1982, Waldron passed for over 1,000 yards. Waldron was named player of the week after this game and in the article Corch Donnelly mentioned that he had switched the War Eagles to more of a running team in 1983. Prior to this game, Waldron had passed for only 383 yards in 8 games. This is a pace of 47 yards per game, as contrasted to an average of over 100 yards a game in the prior year.

Again, this is a break I will make, and as you can see from the stats I think have made from reel life. Corch Mack, while loving the run game and ball control and good defense, will still put the ball in the air 10+ times a game on average. For instance, through 9 dynasty games I have 896 yards with Waldron as opposed to the 623 in reel life, which got to that point through this 240 yard game (note the game article seems to indicate the pass play to Statham was a play that wasn’t a bomb but a shorter pass, no idea how short, that he snuck away on and raced the 87 yards).

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I'm amazed at how low scoring many of the games are against good teams. Seems like scores are just so much more lopsided these days, probably due to spread offenses and everyone running hurry up. I don't think I've seen a game result where one team was shutout and the other scored 10 points or less in years. Usually if one team gets shut out it is a massacre, lol. In the Colorado High School playoffs, where there should be a couple of good teams playing in bad weather, the lowest scoring game I could find was 12-6

Great update, glad you were able to play so many tonight!

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
I'm amazed at how low scoring many of the games are against good teams. Seems like scores are just so much more lopsided these days, probably due to spread offenses and everyone running hurry up. I don't think I've seen a game result where one team was shutout and the other scored 10 points or less in years. Usually if one team gets shut out it is a massacre, lol. In the Colorado High School playoffs, where there should be a couple of good teams playing in bad weather, the lowest scoring game I could find was 12-6

Great update, glad you were able to play so many tonight!

I'll be honest with you, I played those like last week or before. I've already played until the end of 1984, but I'm going to keep the reveal a slow leak. My goal was to post 1 game per night/day during the week and maybe more on weekends (like you were doing with your videos). I'm really behind. so tonight was a good catch up. I've got such a flow of information going. FOr instance tonight i alternated between writing up 1983 games and posting, and then entering the stats from the 1984 games i've already played into the software I use to track the stats. I usually input the stats right after i play but for instance I traveled back home sunday and I fired up and played a game during Sunday night NFL. but I was too tired to enter the stats. I did this for a few games so I have catch up to do. Last night was a workout night so I was just dead tired after getting home and I played a game during the MNF game, and again too tired to enter the stats.

Just to talk a little more on process...I can't roll to the post-1984 offseason in the dynasty on PS3 until I enter all these games in the software. Before I can set up 1985 in the dynasty I need to finalize the roster for that year and each players ratings. Its a process. I've got like a 20-25 item task list in each seasons excel file that I use to make sure I do everything in the order and don't get ahead of myself to where I screw something up that I can't undo (i.e. rolling the rosters from year to year in the software I use has to happen at specific times during the process).

I'd like to get the write up stuff caught up to where i do it more real time, because I still have alot of offline work I can do with rosters, tracking real stats from articles, researching articles when I'm at the library. I really don't need to have these periods where I have alot of writeup work to catch up on. And the first post-Wilber Marshall year, I had all those games played for like 8 months. I wrote up all the game narratives in a weekend at the start of football season I think. What I do is as I'm playing the game I take notes in a word doc to refer to, like drive summaries, key plays, time left when certain things occur,etc. I think that layoff I just got tired off doing the dynasty for a while and it was sort of the let down of getting through 6 combined years of collinsworth and marshall. I had some thought that it would just end there, because those are the known names. But I'm glad I'm back into it because I'm having so much fun now that the Mack boys are on the scene. it really gives me an ability to provide adjustments to the actual game score for in game adjustments. I'm also using injuries to make adjustments now. Either a positive adjustment because a guy who was injured in reel life isn't in the dynasty or vice versa. I just set the injury rating and let the game randomly bring about the injuries.

But on the score thing. I think its like you said a relic of styles of play as they have evolved over time. Possibly for Astronaut, it was a focus on defense. During Donnelly's coaching career the most points a team gave up in a 10 game regular season was 140, the 1972 inaugural year. That's one thing that even popped out to me when I went through this a few iterations ago when I re-enacted my HS years. I noticed they actually had a pretty decent defense. And then my post-HS years the new coach was very defensive oriented, ball-control type of coach.

I think though it could be as simple as the evolution of the passing game. I mean, we all know when you need to score quick you have to go through the air. The 1960's and 1970's (on all levels it seems) had the philosophy if we are going to risk a throw, its going to be a deep throw. Then you have the bill walsh's come along and start the short passing game stuff. Its no secret that as time has gone on, attempts per game have gone up, yards per completion have gone down, completion percentages have gone up, and td/into ratio

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
Btw I've got a work happy hour tomorrow night. I haven't had a drink since late September so I think I'm gonna get toasty and uber home. So I may not get to posting the Titusville game until Thursday night.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
11/19/1983
Astronaut at Titusville

DEFENSE CARRIES WAR EAGLES TO DISTRICT CHAMPIONSHIP

Astronaut’s defense carried the day once more as the War Eagles were triumphant against the Titusville Terriers Friday night at Draa Field. It marks the 2[sup]nd[/sup] win in a row for the War Eagles, who will advance to the Class 3A playoffs with a perfect regular season record of 10-0. Titusville finishes the season at 7-3. Astronaut will host Ft. Pierce Westwood next Friday.

Titusville entered the game with the Space Coast’s top offense, averaging 339 yards per game. Astronaut countered with the area’s number 2 defense, giving up 150 yards per game and limited opponents to 7.7 points per game. Something had to give.

Both defenses held through a scoreless first quarter. In the 2[sup]nd[/sup], Kurt Aken booted a 21 yard field goal to give Astronaut a 3-0 lead with 7:18 remaining. The key play was a 67 yard pass from Ethan Waldron to Bogie Statham down to the 4 yard line. With 1:15 left in the half, Aken added another field goal this time from 23 yards.

Titusville took the 2[sup]nd[/sup] half kickoff and quickly moved the ball down the field. A 3 yard touchdown run with 9:51 left in the third quarter put the Terriers up 7-6.

Astronaut put together a time consuming 15 play 70 yard drive that ended with Waldron’s 1 yard touchdown on a bootleg play. The drive took 8 minutes of game clock and left the War Eagles with a 12-7 lead with 8:38 left. Coach B. Mack chose to attempt a two point conversion, but his son Matthew was stopped short of the goal line on a rush attempt.

Titusville got to the Astronaut 49 but a 4[sup]th[/sup] down pass was incomplete, caught just out of bounds, with just over 6 minutes left. The War Eagles managed to drive to Titusville’s 21 yard line, where they settled for Aken’s third field goal of the night. The 38 yarder was good giving the War Eagles a 15-7 lead with 2:26 left. Titusville’s final march ended with 37 seconds remaining when Darryl Blanford intercepted Anthony Mitchell’s pass attempt.

Titusville managed just 141 yards of offense against the stout War Eagle defense. Astronaut gained 261 yards paced by Fullback Steve Godfrey’s 90 rushing yards.

“I’m really proud of these kids tonight. To go 10-0 and beat this high quality Titusville team is phenomenal,” said B. Mack. “We get another crack at these playoffs, so we’ll start preparing in the morning.”

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
What a key win! Looking forward to playoffs, this team has a special feeling about it... But 2.3 ypc for Mack? WOOF! Hopefully he gets back on track next week.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
REEL TALK:
This is the game that I poste the video of previously in this thread. In that game, Astronaut lead Titusville 13-10 at halftime. In the third quarter, Titusville’s Quarterback Anthony Mitchell scored on an 80 yard run. The Titusville lead was 17-13. On the next Terrier’s possession, Running Back Darryl Gaymon rushed 66 yards for a touchdown on the first play. The kick failed and Titusville was up 23-13 with 11:45 remaining in the game. The Mitchell run was the only play Titusville ran in the 3[sup]rd[/sup] quarter. Astronaut held the ball for more than twice as long as Titusville in the 2[sup]nd[/sup] half. Astronaut’s Ethan Waldron threw an interception on the next possession, and Titusville returned it 85 yards for a touchdown. The kick once again failed and Titusville was up 29-13. Steve Godfrey scored a touchdown on a 3 yard run to make it 29-19 as the final score. Astronaut ran 54 plays versus 34 for Titusville, but the Terriers had 309 yards total versus 251 for Astronaut.

Astronaut finished the season 8-2. Titusville’s regular season record was 8-2 as well. Titusville was 3-0 in district play and the other 3 teams were all 1-2. This was the smallest senior class for Astronaut (15) since the inaugural 1972 season (6). But despite the small numbers, corch Donnelly was proud:

upload_2015-12-17_22-8-41.png

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
What a key win! Looking forward to playoffs, this team has a special feeling about it... But 2.3 ypc for Mack? WOOF! Hopefully he gets back on track next week.

Mack was stifled. Very frustrating. 12 carries for 18 yards through 3 quarters. Luckily Godfrey was able to get going with 16 for 90. I was on Heisman for defense the entire game, turning up the sliders for CPU offense as each quarter ticked past and Titusville was not scoring.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
The one thing that has been a trademark of this dynasty team has been good defense. Those offensive numbers aren't that outstanding.

I need to put together a comp of the reel offensive #s vs those stats in the previous post.

The reel 1983 team out score opponents 157-130 I think. All those close low scoring games.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
11/26/1983
District Playoffs

Ft. Pierce Westwood at Astronaut

ASTRONAUT WALLOPS WESTWOOD

Astronaut moved to 11-0 on the season with a win the opening round of the Class 3A playoffs over Ft. Pierce Westwood Friday night at Draa Field. The 35-7 win was keyed by the hard running of fullback Steve Godfrey and an opportunistic defense. Astronaut yielded a season high 327 yards to Westwood. The previous high was 236 yards to another team from Ft. Pierce, Central high in the 3[sup]rd[/sup] game of the season.

Westwood drove 75 yards in 9 plays to take a 7-0 lead with 8:12 left in the first quarter. The scoring play was a 37 yard touchdown pass. Astronaut answered at the end of the quarter with a 9 play 77 yard drive. Bogie Statham scored on a 2 yard run with 59 seconds left to tie the game at 7. The War Eagle’s leading rusher in the regular season, Matthew Mack, was injured on the drive. While finishing off a 31 yard run he took a big hit and left for the rest of the game with a rib injury. “I think he’ll be fine for next week. We have good depth so we are lucky in that respect,” said his father, Astronaut’s Coach B. Mack.

Westwood continued to push around the War Eagle defense driving to the Astronaut 30 in the 2[sup]nd[/sup] quarter. Then with 7:54 left what could have been the key play in the game occurred. Astronaut’s defensive leader Dwayne Glover snared a Westwood pass and returned it 80 yards for the go ahead touchdown. Astronaut would not look back.

Steve Godfrey finished off a 13 play 64 yard drive with 15 seconds left in the half. Kurt Aken’s third point after gave the War Eagles a 21-7 halftime advantage. Godfrey finished with 122 yards on 14 carries.

The next score came on Ethan Waldron’s 11 yard run with 8:23 left in the game. Chester Guinyard capped off the scoring with a 3 yard run with 2:17 left. Guinyard carried 8 times for 70 yards.

“One week at a time is how we’ve been going all year,” said Mack. “So we put this win behind us and look to see who we get next.” Astronaut will host Bradenton Southeast next Friday night. Southeast prevailed against Fort Myers Cypress Lake 12-7 in its opening round game.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
REEL/DYNASTY TALK:
Titusville beat Westwood 29-0 in the first round. Not much else to say but maybe speak to how I determine the game parameters for the games that reely didn’t happen in life. I basically just use comparative scores. Since Titusville was 29 better than Westwood, and 10 better than Astronaut, I gave Astronaut a 19 point expected winning margin. I then took the average total points from each game to determine what the total points should be for the game, and then built each teams total from a combination of the point spread and the average total points.

This is one thing when I look to the future games and see what key games I could swing that could get Astronaut into the playoffs. I then look to see how the real playoff team fared and sort of eyeball how deep I can realistically go in the playoffs. The Seasons where a deep playoff run are possible add to the fun of this. Really looking forward to the year where ….ahhh no spoilers.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
12/3/1983
Regional Playoffs
Bradenton Southeast at Astronaut

WAR EAGLES OFFENSE GETS ROLLING IN PLAYOFF WIN

An Astronaut team that has relied on its defense most of the year rolled up 416 yards of offense on its way to a 38-14 win over Bradenton Southeast Friday night at Draa Field. Astronaut (12-0) remains unbeaten this year and moves into the state semifinals for the 3[sup]rd[/sup] time in the school’s 12 year history. This marks the first semifinal appearance since 1979. Astronaut will host Fort Lauderdale’s St. Thomas Aquinas next Friday for a berth in the Class 3A state championship game.

The scoring began with Kurt Aken connected on a 23 yard field goal with 6:51 left in the first quarter. Later Senior quarterback Ethand Waldron found senior Dwayne Glover for a 21 yard touchdown pass with 49 seconds left in the quarter. Waldron connected on 11 of 15 pass attempts for 161 yards. Glvoer caught four balls for 56 yards.

In the second quarter, the War Eagle ground game took over. Senior running back Chester Guinyard scored on a 19 yard run with 6:10 remaining. The War Eagles had the ball with 1:54 remaining on their own 41 and drove to the Southeast 36 with just over a minute left. Matthew Mack, returning from a rib injury last week, took off for a run around right end before finally stopped on the 1 yard line. From there, Ethan Waldron scored to make it 24-0. Mack was the leading ground gainer for the War Eagles with 98 yards on 13 carries while Guinyard added 74 yards on 11 rushes.

Fullback Steve Godfrey must have been feeling left out, as he broke a several tackles on his way to a 22 yard touchdown run with 4:43 left in the third quarter. Godfrey had 73 yards on 14 carries to complete the War Eagles balanced attack. Southeast finally got on the board with 1:37 left in the third on an 11 yard run, making it 31-7.

Mack got his touchdown on a 2 yard run with 7:01 left to play. After that, the 2[sup]nd[/sup] unit for Astronaut took over and yielded one more score to Southeast, a 1 yard run with 4:03 left.

“We’ve finally seem to have our offense stepping up, “said Astronaut Coach B. Mack. “It’s good to see, we are going to face a tough opponent next week.” Aquinas finished the regular season as the top ranked team in Class 3A, and like the War Eagles, moved to 12-0 with their playoff win Friday night.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
REEL TALK:

Titusville beat Bradenton Southeast 36-0 in this game. This allowed me to start with a projected +26 point spread. Dating back to the 1982 playoffs, this was the 4[sup]th[/sup] consecutive playoff shutout for Titusville. They outscored opponents 127-0 during that stretch.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
12/10/1983
Class 3A State Semifinal

Ft. Lauderdale St. Thomas Aquinas at Astronaut

ASTRONAUT ADVANCES AGAINST AQUINAS

For the only the second time in school history the Astronaut War Eagles (13-0) have advanced the state championship game. The War Eagles defeated St. Thomas Aquinas of Fort Lauderdale with a thrilling finish 17-14 Friday night at Draa Field. The previous trip to the final was in 1976, where the War Eagles lost 17-14 to Panama City Bay on a last second field goal.

Aquinas (12-1) came into the game ranked 1 in Class 3A and undefeated. They took a 7-0 lead with 5:41 left in the 1[sup]st[/sup] quarter on a 1 yard touchdown run. Astronaut’s next possession produced an answer, as they drove 71 yards in 11 plays. With 4 seconds remaining in the quarter quarterback Ethan Waldron connected with senior Dwayne Glover for a 26 yard touchdown. Kurt Aken’s point after tied things at 7.

Aken gave the War Eagles the lead with 6:13 left in the half on a 21 yard field goal. Aquina’s threatened at the end of the half, but Mike Shivel intercepted a pass at the buzzer to stop the scoring chance. Both teams were stout against the run all night. The War Eagles managed 107 yards on 41 carries while Aquinas could get just 41 yards on 20 rushes. Aquinas went to the air 41 times in the game.

With 7:24 left in the game, momentum shifted as Waldron was intercepted and the ball returned to the Astronaut 45. Aquinas then moved the ball for a 3 yard touchdown run on a 10 play drive. Astronaut was left with 5:50 to play, trailing 14-10.

The War Eagles began to march methodically down the field, but a sack of Waldron put them into a dire situation with a 3[sup]rd[/sup] and 18 on their own 48. It was then that Astronaut Coach B. Mack dialed up what could be the play of the year for the War Eagles. “We just needed to gain most of the yards back so we could have a shot at 4[sup]th[/sup] down. We put Matthew (his son Matt Mack) as a wingback and let him go on a post route. I guess they put a linebacker on him and the safeties were helping out on Dwayne (Glover) and Bogie (Statham).”

The younger Mack was able to beat his man and Waldron hit him in stride for a 52 yard touchdown pass with 1:26 remaining. Aken added the extra point and the War Eagles clinged to a 17-14 lead. Aquinas then got the ball back and completed a big pass to their own 46. Moving quickly they then completed a 16 yard pass play to the Astronaut 38. After two incomplete passes Aquina’s was faced with a 3[sup]rd[/sup] and 10 with 46 seconds left and no timeouts after two incomplete passes. On the next play, Aquinas completed a short pass in the flat, when Glover jarred the ball loose and Frankie Glenn recovered for the War Eagles. Ethan Waldron kneel the ball twice to end the game.

After the game, FHSAA officials announced that Astronaut will host the Class 3A championship game against Palatka next Friday.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
REEL, MOSTLY DYNASTY TALK:

Titusville beat Aquinas 33-7 to advance to their 2[sup]nd[/sup] straight championship game. Draa field would host the championship for the 2[sup]nd[/sup] straight year. This was during a time when there really wasn’t a set central site for championship games. For instance today championship games for all classifications are played at the Florida Citrus Bowl in Orlando. I believe they would have used a central neutral site for a classifications game if the distance between the two schools merited it.

For the dynasty game I was surprised it would be this close. I went in with an estimated 16 point advantage. I was playing Notre Dame in what was the BCS Championship game in the game. Since I’ve set up Astronaut as an independent I only get 12 regular season games and a bowl game. The football seasons can be up to 14 (and later 15 games) if you go to the championship. So what I do is right after the 12[sup]th[/sup] game is save another copy of the dynasty. Then I sim to the bowl game and play in that version. If I win the 13[sup]th[/sup] game, I then go back to the original dynasty file and re-simm to the bowls. My hope is to get a different bowl opponent due to difference sim results in the final weeks and championship games. The reason I couldn’t really put Astronaut in a conference with a conference championship game (which would have given me a chance at 14 games) is because conference schedules were set in stone and I wanted maximum flexibility in setting the schedules. The 11 other team builder high school teams I imported are also independents for the scheduling purpose.

The game was a very tough game. I had very favorable settings with a 16 point point spread. But Notre Dame being ranked #2 and in the BCS title game played very tough (unlike they did against Alabama a few years ago). The running game was very tough to get going as the stats indicate. It really did come down to that play with 1:26 remaining. I thought I was going to lose this and blow my chance at getting to the state championship game. For two plays prior to the winning score I tried to get the ball to Mack on a pass play, but the first was incomplete and then the sack on 2[sup]nd[/sup] down. I was starting to worry (which is good because it added to the drama and fun of playing this thing out for me).

Stay tuned as in the next day or so there will be a special preview article for the state championship game and of course the game results.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
One of the reasons I'm keeping formations like flexbone, wishbone, and wingbone, even Maryland I, is that it puts a third back on the field. This allows me to get carries to my #2 hb (or Fb if I go jumbo). Life course I go spell hb or hb sub also on two back sets to get the #2 carries.
You can, or at least you could in NCAA 07 change the sub in/sub out percentage. If you change the sub out percentage to as high as it goes you'll get your backups to come in at a better, but maybe not a realistic pace. Running ur best RB 5-7 plays in a row will take him out for a few plays to get a breather.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
You can, or at least you could in NCAA 07 change the sub in/sub out percentage. If you change the sub out percentage to as high as it goes you'll get your backups to come in at a better, but maybe not a realistic pace. Running ur best RB 5-7 plays in a row will take him out for a few plays to get a breather.

You have the same options in 2014. I have the sub sliders at 50, which is the default. I really only set the stamina on the running backs, which gives the same effect of fatigue. Usually what I do is when I see them start to fatigue because they change color on teh formation screen is when I sub them out. The ability to toggle to different personnel sets within a formation from the playcall screen I think is an improvement over the 2007 era stuff. Not sure if that was in there the first time I remember seeing it was around NCAA 2010 or 2011.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
WAR EAGLE ‘FAMILY’ SEEKS FIRST STATE CHAMPIONSHIP

The Astronaut War Eagles will host the Palatka Panthers Friday night for the Class 3A State Championship. Astronaut comes into the game with a 13-0 record and will be looking to win the schools first football state championship.

BEEN HERE BEFORE

This is the second trip to the state championship game for the War Eagles. They were here before in 1976. Cris Collinsworth was the quarterback and the War Eagles were 13-0 as well. A 44 yard field goal as time expired ended those title hopes, as the Panama City Bay High School won 17-14.

It was a thrilling game in which Collinsworth lead two fourth quarter touchdown drives to tie the game. “We just didn’t have enough to keep them from scoring at the end,” said Astronaut Coach B. Mack. “I think if it had gone to overtime we’d have won it.”

FAMILY AFFAIR

This year’s War Eagle team has feel of family. There are several pairs of sibling playing for Astronaut this year. Defensive coordinator Benny Boyd’s has son’s Benny Jr. and Jeff on the team. Benny Jr., a junior linebacker, is the leader of the defense. Through 13 games he leads the team with 97 tackles and has one interception. Jeff, a freshman tight end, has 2 receptions for 42 yards.

Twins Steve and David Godfrey are the 1[sup]st[/sup] and 2[sup]nd[/sup] team fullbacks for the War Eagles. Steve is a key ball carrier and ranks 2[sup]nd[/sup] on the team in rushing. He has rushed 183 times for 734 yards and 7 touchdowns this year. David has rushed 6 times for 17 yards this year.

The offensive line reserves are also stocked with siblings. Senior twins Tim and Tom Hancock are tackles. David Brown, a senior, and brother Scottie, a junior, are back up guards.

Head coach B. Mack also has two son’s playing. Matthew is a junior running back and Keith is a sophomore quarterback. Matthew is the leading rusher for the War Eagles. Through 13 games he has rushed 160 times for 834 yards and 6 touchdowns. He’s also proven to be a solid receiving threat. He has 18 receptions for 255 yards and 4 touchdowns. His 52 yard touchdown reception in last week’s state semifinal with less than 2 minutes remaining was the winning score against Ft. Lauderdale St. Thomas Aquinas. Keith is the team’s backup quarterback and has seen limited time in that role this year, throwing only 3 passes. He also has appeared in 8 games as a safety, recording 24 tackles.

“It’s a tough line to keep. You have to guard against being too tough on them and favoring them too much,” said B. Mack. “They would probably say I’m too tough on them.”

“Yeah he is harder on us,” says Matthew. “One time four or five of us were goofing around at practice and he got onto me more than the other guys. I thought to myself, ‘man I’m getting the short end of the stick here!”

The wives and mothers of these coach-son combinations have a unique perspective. Milady Mack, says “It smells like gym class all the time! They just talk football, football, football. I tried to make a rule that there would be no football talk at the dinner table. That lasted one evening.”

“But it’s a good bond for them,” she said. “When they were little they were always around the teams and were water boys and ball boys. These will be times they I hope they remember for the rest of their lives”

LEADERSHIP KEY SUCCESS THUS FAR

While the coaches’ sons may be statistical leaders of the offense and defense, Coach Mack points to his senior quarterback as the unquestioned leader of the team. “Ethan has been tremendous this year. We aren’t here without him keeping a cool head,” says Mack. That’s Ethan Waldron, a two year starter at quarterback. The War Eagles are 23-2 in games that Waldron is the quarterback.

So far in this season’s 13 contests, Waldron has completed 86 of 142 passes for 1,434 yards. He has thrown for 8 touchdowns against 7 interceptions. He has also rushed for 246 yards and 7 touchdowns.

At times during the regular season, the Astronaut offense he has been charged with leading has sputtered. But entering the championship game they are averaging 22.5 points and 294.7 yards per game. “I think we’ve finally found our rhythm over the last few weeks,” says Mack. “It couldn’t have happened at a better time.”

WILL DEFENSE WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP?

With all of that said, the War Eagle defense has been the real key this year. “We may have had better defenses statistically in the past, I’m not sure, but this year this squad has come through in the clutch.”

Only 5 opponents have scored 10 or more points against the War Eagles this year. 4 have scored 14, which the most any team has scored. The defense allows just 8.5 points and 176.1 yards per game.

“It all starts up front with the line,” says Mack. The starting line consists of ends Todd Bynum (92 tackles, 10 sacks), Kenny Karberg (49 tackles, 5 sacks) and tackles Frankie Glenn (92 tackles, 8 sacks) and David Montgomery (79 tackles, 5 sacks).

BATTLE TESTED OPPONENT

The foe for the War Eagles in the title game will be a Palatka Panthers team that has survived tough games the last two weeks. The Panthers opened the playoffs with a 27-7 win over Jacksonville Lee. Then they outlasted Milton, 28-27, in a triple overtime game. Then, in last week’s semifinal they beat Dade City Pasco 18-13.

“We have our work cut out for us. It should be a good game,” said Mack. “I’m hoping for a different result than our last time. The community is hungry for a state championship.”

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
12/17/1983
Class 3A State Championship Game
Palatka at Astronaut

WAR EAGLES WIN FIRST STATE TITLE, FINISH PERFECT SEASON

The Astronaut War Eagles used a combination of offensive balance and a run stuffing defense to win their first ever football state Championship. The War Eagles completed a 14-0 season with a 24-14 win over the Palatka Panthers Friday night before a packed house at Draa Field.

Astronaut’s perfect season was capped off by an almost perfect finish by Senior quarterback Ethan Waldron. He connected on 11 of his 12 pass attempts for 160 yards and 2 touchdowns.

After a scoreless first quarter, Kurt Aken connected on a 29 yard field goal to stake Astronaut to a 3-0 lead with 9:50 left in the half. It was Aken’s 16[sup]th[/sup] field goal of the season, all without a miss, which sets a school record. With 11 seconds left in the half Astronaut finished off a long drive when Waldron connected with tight end Jeff Urbano for a 1 yard touchdown pass.

The War Eagle lead ballooned to 17-0 when Waldron found Bogie Statham on a crossing route. Statham turned up field and outraced defenders to the end zone for a 23 yard scoring play. The scoring drive on the first possession of the second half went 67 yards in 11 plays. It consumed nearly half of the third quarter and left 6:05 remaining. Palatka finally got on the board with 1:46 left in the quarter with a 19 yard touchdown pass.

Astronaut carried a 17-7 advantage into the 4[sup]th[/sup] quarter and it was at that point that Coach B. Mack took the opportunity to address his teams huddle. “I got all the boys around me there at the start of the 4[sup]th[/sup] and told them this was their time,” said Mack. “ I reminded them that each of the last two years their season ended when they lost a two score 4[sup]th[/sup] quarter lead. I asked them to remember the way they felt after those losses and to seize this chance at redemption. They had a chance now to erase those memories and win our first state title.”

The War Eagles responded to their coach’s request. After stopping Palatka on a 4[sup]th[/sup] and 2 on the Astronaut 42 with 9:10 left to play, the offense went to work to put the game away. The War Eagles went on an 8 play 58 yard march capped off by a 9 yard run by fullback Steve Godfrey. Godfrey crossed the goal line with 4:53 left and Kurt Aken’s third point after gave the War Eagles a 24-7 lead.

Palataka was able to put another score on the board with 2:10 left via a 4 yard run. The onside kick attempt was caught by Dennis Campbell. Palatka had all of its timeouts remaining and were forced to use them all to no avail. The running of Godfrey and junior Matthew Mack picked up 3 first downs in the final 2 minutes to seal the game and the Class 3A State championship.

Godfrey paced all ground gainers with 80 yards on 15 carries. Mack added 74 yards on 19 carries. The War Eagle offense showed great balance with 160 yard passing and 157 rushing. Palatka managed 181 yards, but only 34 on the ground.

“I’m so happy for these kids, the school, and the community. We’ve been close before and have had a deep hunger to accomplish this,” said Mack. “

upload_2015-12-26_11-50-51.png
Steve Godfrey Scores Key 4th quarter touchdown

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
REEL/DYNASTY TALK:
Titusville beat Palatka 28-21 to finish off back to back state titles. Here is the tube of 2[sup]nd[/sup] quarter and beyond action:

I totally jumped on the success of Titusville for the 82-83 seasons. I knew if I could turn those Titusville losses into wins, I could co-opt their playoff runs and have a real shot at a state championship, since they dominated many opponents on their run.

In the Palatka game I had an unadjusted point spread deficit of -3 (Astronaut minus ten vs. Titusville, Palatka minus 7 vs. Titusville). When adjusting for new and uninjured players (basically the Mack Brothers) I was able to turn that into estimated 1.1 point advantage. Still, a game which should be a tossup. I started with my offense on Varsity and Defense on All-American, as I was projecting a score of about 25.8 to 24.7 (I get to decimals by virtue of the percentage adjustments for new players). Defense got placed on Heisman after the first quarter but I was still able to hold them to 14 points. The part of the Palatka Panthers, was played by the Clemson Tigers.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
1983 All-State and College Scholarships
[xtable=562x@]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td=64x@}YEAR{/td}
{td=137x@}PLAYER{/td}
{td=82x@}CLASS{/td}
{td=48x@}Pos{/td}
{td=97x@}All-State{/td}
{td=134x@}College Scholarship{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}1983{/td}
{td}Glover, Dwayne{/td}
{td}Senior{/td}
{td}LB{/td}
{td}1st Team{/td}
{td}Florida{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}1983{/td}
{td}Glenn, Frankie{/td}
{td}Junior{/td}
{td}DT{/td}
{td}3rd Team{/td}
{td}-{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}1983{/td}
{td}Aken, Kurt{/td}
{td}Junior{/td}
{td}K{/td}
{td}3rd Team{/td}
{td}-{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}1983{/td}
{td}Montgomery, David{/td}
{td}Junior{/td}
{td}DT{/td}
{td}Hon. Mention{/td}
{td}-{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}1983{/td}
{td}Bynum, Todd{/td}
{td}Senior{/td}
{td}DE{/td}
{td}-{/td}
{td}Air Force Academy{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
[xtable=565x@]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td=111x@} {/td}
{td=37x@} {/td}
{td=colspan:5|150x@}REEL LIFE{/td}
{td=38x@} {/td}
{td=colspan:5|152x@}DYNASTY{/td}
{td=30x@} {/td}
{td=47x@} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Name{/td}
{td}Class{/td}
{td}G{/td}
{td}ATT{/td}
{td}YDS{/td}
{td}AVG{/td}
{td}TDS{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}G{/td}
{td}ATT{/td}
{td}YDS{/td}
{td}AVG{/td}
{td}TDS{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}Att +/-{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Mack, Matthew{/td}
{td}JR{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}10{/td}
{td}130{/td}
{td}664{/td}
{td}5.1{/td}
{td}5{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}130{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Godfrey, Steve{/td}
{td}JR{/td}
{td}10{/td}
{td}121{/td}
{td}610{/td}
{td}5.0{/td}
{td}6{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}10{/td}
{td}142{/td}
{td}510{/td}
{td}3.6{/td}
{td}5{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}21{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Godfrey, David{/td}
{td}JR{/td}
{td}1{/td}
{td}6{/td}
{td}37{/td}
{td}6.2{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}4{/td}
{td}4{/td}
{td}8{/td}
{td}2.0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}-2{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Guinyard, Chester{/td}
{td}SR{/td}
{td}9{/td}
{td}60{/td}
{td}275{/td}
{td}4.6{/td}
{td}2{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}10{/td}
{td}61{/td}
{td}213{/td}
{td}3.5{/td}
{td}2{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}1{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Statham, Bogie{/td}
{td}JR{/td}
{td}6{/td}
{td}40{/td}
{td}150{/td}
{td}3.8{/td}
{td}4{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}10{/td}
{td}21{/td}
{td}66{/td}
{td}3.1{/td}
{td}1{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}-19{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Parker, Jesse{/td}
{td}JR{/td}
{td}5{/td}
{td}32{/td}
{td}111{/td}
{td}3.5{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}1{/td}
{td}2{/td}
{td}8{/td}
{td}4.0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}-30{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Waldron, Ethan{/td}
{td}SR{/td}
{td}10{/td}
{td}67{/td}
{td}171{/td}
{td}2.6{/td}
{td}1{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}10{/td}
{td}60{/td}
{td}223{/td}
{td}3.7{/td}
{td}5{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}-7{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Glover, Dwayne{/td}
{td}SR{/td}
{td}9{/td}
{td}11{/td}
{td}66{/td}
{td}6.0{/td}
{td}1{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}10{/td}
{td}1{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0.0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}-10{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Mack, Keith{/td}
{td}SO{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0.0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}5{/td}
{td}4{/td}
{td}22{/td}
{td}5.5{/td}
{td}1{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}4{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}OTHER{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}10{/td}
{td}39{/td}
{td}27{/td}
{td}0.7{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}-39{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}TOTAL{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}10{/td}
{td}376{/td}
{td}1447{/td}
{td}3.8{/td}
{td}14{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}10{/td}
{td}425{/td}
{td}1714{/td}
{td}4.0{/td}
{td}19{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}49{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

Here is the rushing game comparison. This allows us to see who the "losers" were with the introduction of Matthew Mack. This is regular season only. The real reduction in workload came from Statham and Parker. Statham was moved to WR in 1984 anyway, so I just accelerated that move by a year. He was the leading receiver in the 1983 dynasty, so the loss of 19 carries is no big deal. He only played in 6 games in 1983 due to injury. He played in all 14 games in the dynasty even though his injury rating was 66 I think. Parker, being the #3 back in reel life sort of took the brunt with a 30 carry reduction. He really didn't make it into the rotation. I'm not too concerned with this because he was shown in 1984 as a senior in the yearbook but had absolutely 0 carries or mentions in articles.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
Awesome! Great season, they just seemed such a good team from the start

It was so strange that you had that feeling from just the preview write up. When I got to 1985 and 1986 in the article research you saw quotes from Donnelly about how the 1983 team was full of real leadership compared to other teams he had. For instance he talked about how a team with probably the most seniors he'd ever had, really didn't have any leadership, and he contrasted that with the 1983 team.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
[xtable=414x@]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td=64x@} {/td}
{td=colspan:3|92x@}Re-enacted{/td}
{td=colspan:3|94x@}Reel Life{/td}
{td=colspan:3|164x@}Difference{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=64x@}Year{/td}
{td=39x@}W{/td}
{td=39x@}L{/td}
{td=14x@}T{/td}
{td=42x@}W{/td}
{td=22x@}L{/td}
{td=30x@}T{/td}
{td}w+/-{/td}
{td}L+/1{/td}
{td}T +/-{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=64x@}1972{/td}
{td=39x@}4{/td}
{td=39x@}6{/td}
{td=14x@}0{/td}
{td=42x@}3{/td}
{td=22x@}5{/td}
{td=30x@}2{/td}
{td}1{/td}
{td}1{/td}
{td}-2{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=64x@}1973{/td}
{td=39x@}11{/td}
{td=39x@}1{/td}
{td=14x@}0{/td}
{td=42x@}9{/td}
{td=22x@}2{/td}
{td=30x@}0{/td}
{td}2{/td}
{td}-1{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=64x@}1974{/td}
{td=39x@}9{/td}
{td=39x@}1{/td}
{td=14x@}0{/td}
{td=42x@}9{/td}
{td=22x@}1{/td}
{td=30x@}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=64x@}1975{/td}
{td=39x@}11{/td}
{td=39x@}1{/td}
{td=14x@}0{/td}
{td=42x@}9{/td}
{td=22x@}2{/td}
{td=30x@}0{/td}
{td}2{/td}
{td}-1{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=64x@}1976{/td}
{td=39x@}13{/td}
{td=39x@}1{/td}
{td=14x@}0{/td}
{td=42x@}10{/td}
{td=22x@}3{/td}
{td=30x@}0{/td}
{td}3{/td}
{td}-2{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=64x@}1977{/td}
{td=39x@}11{/td}
{td=39x@}1{/td}
{td=14x@}0{/td}
{td=42x@}9{/td}
{td=22x@}1{/td}
{td=30x@}0{/td}
{td}2{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=64x@}1978{/td}
{td=39x@}8{/td}
{td=39x@}2{/td}
{td=14x@}0{/td}
{td=42x@}8{/td}
{td=22x@}2{/td}
{td=30x@}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=64x@}1979{/td}
{td=39x@}11{/td}
{td=39x@}2{/td}
{td=14x@}0{/td}
{td=42x@}10{/td}
{td=22x@}3{/td}
{td=30x@}0{/td}
{td}1{/td}
{td}-1{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=64x@}1980{/td}
{td=39x@}7{/td}
{td=39x@}3{/td}
{td=14x@}0{/td}
{td=42x@}7{/td}
{td=22x@}3{/td}
{td=30x@}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=64x@}1981{/td}
{td=39x@}8{/td}
{td=39x@}2{/td}
{td=14x@}0{/td}
{td=42x@}8{/td}
{td=22x@}2{/td}
{td=30x@}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=64x@}1982{/td}
{td=39x@}10{/td}
{td=39x@}2{/td}
{td=14x@}0{/td}
{td=42x@}7{/td}
{td=22x@}3{/td}
{td=30x@}0{/td}
{td}3{/td}
{td}-1{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=64x@}1983{/td}
{td=39x@}14{/td}
{td=39x@}0{/td}
{td=14x@}0{/td}
{td=42x@}8{/td}
{td=22x@}2{/td}
{td=30x@}0{/td}
{td}6{/td}
{td}-2{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Total{/td}
{td}117{/td}
{td}22{/td}
{td}0{/td}
{td}97{/td}
{td}29{/td}
{td}2{/td}
{td}20{/td}
{td}-7{/td}
{td}-2{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

Corch Mack has improved by 20 wins. COrch Donnelly is 3 wins away from 100. It is at this time you start to see articles mentioning that Astronaut has the best all-time winning percentage of any school in Florida. I have no sources which present a list of the top schools but it is stated by local sports journalists in several articles.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
On March 25 1983 Michael Jackson introduces the moonwalk. Ten days later, Space Shuttle Challenger begins its first flight. In June, Challenger’s STS-7 carries the first woman to space, Sally Ride. In October, the first Hooters restaurant is opened in Clearwater, Florida.

And in 1983 dynasty land, the War Eagles are champions.
What a feeling…to be up where we belong…

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
May 1st, 1984

The Chicago Bears select Wilber Marshall with the 11th pick in the NFL draft. This is to this day still the highest an Astronaut football player has been selected in the NFL draft.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
SEPTEMBER 1984
SPACE COAST FOOTBALL SEASON PREVIEW
ASTRONAUT WAR EAGLES
HEAD COACH: B. MACK (13[sup]th[/sup] year, 117-22, 1 State Championship, 8 district championships)
CLASS/DISTRICT: 3A, 9
1983 RECORD: 14-0 (Class 3A State Champions)
Roster Size: 51 (34 seniors, 13 juniors, 4 sophomores)

CAN CHAMPION WAR EAGLES BE BETTER IN ’84?

After winning the school’s first ever state championship, it’s hard to imagine the War Eagles doing any better. How can you improve on a 14-0 record?

“We can’t do better, we can only match that,” says Head Coach B. Mack. 34 seniors returning from last year’s perfect team, the expectations have never been higher. “People think we’ll be the #1 team when the rankings come out, but the few seniors we lost, they were a special bunch.”

Foremost of those that must be replaced is Quarterback Ethan Waldron. Waldron guided the War Eagles to a 24-2 record over the last two seasons. His replacement will be Mack’s son, Junior Keith Mack. “Hopefully our running game and defense will make it an easy transition for him.” He will be the only junior starter on the offense, the rest being returning seniors.

The running game will be in good hands as Mack’s oldest son, Matthew returns at running back and will be joined by fullback Steve Godfrey. The pair of seniors rushed for over 1700 yards combined in the 14 games a year ago. When the War Eagles go to the air, look for Bogie Statham to be on the receiving end.

On the defensive side of the ball, the War Eagles lost a few starters but all 11 this year are returning seniors. Leaders of the defense are tackles Frankie Glenn and David Montgomery (who also move to starting positions on the offensive line) and linebacker Benny Boyd, Jr.

The War Eagle’s carry of course a 14 game overall win streak and 15 game regular season winning streak into the season. They have also won 15 straight on their home field.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
1984 Schedule
[xtable=267x@]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td=36x@}Year{/td}
{td=32x@}Site{/td}
{td=77x@}Date{/td}
{td=122x@}Opponent{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}1984{/td}
{td}H{/td}
{td}9/7/1984{/td}
{td}Sanford Seminole{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}1984{/td}
{td}A{/td}
{td}9/14/1984{/td}
{td}New Smyrna{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}1984{/td}
{td}A{/td}
{td}9/21/1984{/td}
{td}Ft. Pierce Central{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}1984{/td}
{td}A{/td}
{td}9/28/1984{/td}
{td}Rockledge{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}1984{/td}
{td}A{/td}
{td}10/5/1984{/td}
{td}Satellite{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}1984{/td}
{td}H{/td}
{td}10/12/1984{/td}
{td}Palm Bay{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}1984{/td}
{td}H{/td}
{td}10/19/1984{/td}
{td}Eau Gallie{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}1984{/td}
{td}H{/td}
{td}10/26/1984{/td}
{td}Orlando Colonial{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}1984{/td}
{td}A{/td}
{td}11/2/1984{/td}
{td}Cocoa{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}1984{/td}
{td}H{/td}
{td}11/16/1984{/td}
{td}Titusville{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
9/6/1984
MATTHEW MACK profile
Position:
Running Back
Height: 5’11”
Weight: 182 lbs
Favorite NFL Player: Johns Riggins. “He’s a hard-nosed runner.”
Team Highlight: “Winning the state championship last year.”
Individual Highlight: “Scoring the game winning touchdown in the semifinals”
College Prospects: Miami, Nebraska, Pitt, Clemson, Notre Dame, Michigan “Right now Miami is my top pick. It’s in-state and they won their first championship last year just like we did.”
Favorite Food: Chicken Fettucine Alfredo