• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

The Accounting Class

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I would also be interested in some ticket prices help. I don't want to rediscover the wheel or to look, maybe post it in the FAQ thread?

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I would also be interested in some ticket prices help. I don't want to rediscover the wheel or to look, maybe post it in the FAQ thread?
Yeah i will, im just on my phone. If you ever come up with any formulas we'll get those in there too. I really do want to expand it for all of these things it's just feels like an epic task that i dont want to do haha

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
What are your projections for each season ticket sales and gate, and your ticket prices currently

2048:
Gate: 22,703,146
ST: 24,330,618

(Lowered ticket prices to $26)

2049:
Gate: 16,754,210
ST: 20,849,400

Projected 2050 and 2051:
Ticket: 16,754,210
Gate: 20,849,400

Tickets at $26

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
2048:
Gate: 22,703,146
ST: 24,330,618

(Lowered ticket prices to $26)

2049:
Gate: 16,754,210
ST: 20,849,400

Projected 2050 and 2051:
Ticket: 16,754,210
Gate: 20,849,400

Tickets at
Are tickets still at 26 and your wanting to change them? What to?

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
That's what I'm wondering. :laughing:

But yes, they were 30, I lowered them to 26 because I was terrible, and now I'm wondering what is ideal.

I thought lowering the ticket prices would increase attendance but you recently said to not lower ticket prices.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
That's what I'm wondering. :laughing:

But yes, they were 30, I lowered them to 26 because I was terrible, and now I'm wondering what is ideal.

I thought lowering the ticket prices would increase attendance but you recently said to not lower ticket prices.

Look at the sheet and you can see why. If you lower them by even a dollar at your levels, you have to sell 700 more.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Is there a way to access the actual spreadsheet and formulas from the embed? Just want to save it for future reference.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
So here is what you did by going down from $30. Given your numbers that year, you needed to sell 3k more tickets to make that move worth it. You ended up dropping down 2k :laughing:

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
My tickets were $23 if I raise them to $25 would I expect attendance to drop because of the raise or is attendance more driven by winning?

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I'm still not quite understanding the spreadsheet, can you walk through an example and how we know what is ideal? Are season tickets set before hand or something?

Well here is what I did, as we found out the revenue is the key. So you have to at least meet that revenue to keep your budget the same. The other components are mostly fixed for you guys, merchandising will vary somewhat but not enough to really matter.

At the beginning of the year for your budget, you are given projections for gate/season ticket gross sales. That is based on your prior season ticket price.

So for you it's 34530705 for ST and 18580739 for Gate. It's just the prior year's gross sales. The spreadsheet divides the total of those by 82, then by your ticket price giving you attendance ticket sales per game.

On the bottom you simply input any ticket price you want and you can see how many tickets you have to sell to make enough money at that ticket price to break even with your budget.

So then you weigh your options, if Rad thinks he can raise them to $27 and sell more than the break-even then he should do it. If he wants to lower them and thinks his attendance per game will go up enough to give him extra revenue he should.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
My tickets were $23 if I raise them to $25 would I expect attendance to drop because of the raise or is attendance more driven by winning?

That's something I don't totally know the formula for. I'm guessing it would drop a little but I would also guess it wouldn't be enough to go under the breakeven point given your upward trend with your team.

Tickets sales are based in part on fan interest, I know that. How much, I don't know.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Ima raise mine from $23 to $25 and just kinda see what happens this year. My guess is I could probably go further up than that, but I don't want to overdo it in one year.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
So you just can't lose 2,200 ticket sales when you raise them. With your record I think you'd be okay

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Would you recommend I raise them more than that? Or just kind of try that for a year. When you say I can't lose 2,200 ticket sales do you mean per game?

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I'm hoping by dropping a couple bucks I sell more season tickets and have to rely less on gate.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Would you recommend I raise them more than that? Or just kind of try that for a year. When you say I can't lose 2,200 ticket sales do you mean per game?
I would raise gradually. $1-2 is good and raise slowly as the team improves. You aren't exactly selling out.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator

Right, this is just a tool to tell you where your break even is at depending on ticket price. It's easier to do it per game than annual because you can track that from game one to see if you done goofed.

I don't have a great understanding of ticket sales factors because I never paid attention to them. I would never recommend the bottom feeders to lower their prices though only because they are already near the floor when it comes to sales. Lower prices won't increase attendance too much if you suck ass and if you're in the middle of a downward spiral like Radford was, you can decrease them at the wrong time and still see attendance fall

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
When I say that number is unreliable, it is. It's still the number you have to surpass to increase your budget though

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Oh I see. So just the gate and ST revenue in the 2050 budget which is equal to 2049's numbers. They do the same for merchandising. Interesting. I am not exactly sure what to do with ticket prices.

How far are we simming tonight? Do we need to have those set? December 19th is the deadline.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Oh I see. So just the gate and ST revenue in the 2050 budget which is equal to 2049's numbers. They do the same for merchandising. Interesting. I am not exactly sure what to do with ticket prices.

How far are we simming tonight? Do we need to have those set? December 19th is the deadline.

I'm just going to where we can vote for HoF. I think I'll be stopping before then.

I've found it's odd when you run the numbers using this spreadsheet though. Take my team for example. It says I only need 36k but I had 39k in attendance last year to get those numbers. Why?

I sold 21,861 season tickets last year and 17702 walk-ins. Should have made 113M.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
You are including playoff attendance I think.

Maybe, were there enough of them to sway an 82 game total 3k? I don't think I even sold out. 37k for 82 games, then 45k for 8 games? That can't bring the average up 2.5k right?

I almost want to do that, but I think that's just because I'm tired of cost accounting.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Ou also played 82 home games for some reason. One game in the alternate dimension.

Last edited:

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Maybe you didn't sell out the games. I don't know haha.
I'm an idiot. I had 82 on the worksheet. Changing that to 81 makes it 37,400. And dividing total attendance by 81 does give you that 39,500 number.

That is good to know, I've always thought I had to hit that number.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
It is weird that they add the playoff attendance but dont divide by games played. That changes a lot about how playoff teams should look at ticket pricing

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Look on the left hand side of the finance screen.
Oh right for the year before. They dont project per game for next year though right? I guess it doesnt matter since they arent really projections.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
ARB CONTRACTS
Pre-arbitration extensions must wait until the player has one year of service time and must at least be equal to the arbitration estimate. Pre-arbitration contracts have a maximum length of 5 years.

If a player has gone through an arbitration hearing, the buyout of each future arbitration eligible year must be equal to or greater than the amount awarded to the player.

Example:
Player was awarded $7 million in arbitration in 2022
Correctly structured contract extension: 2023 $7m, 2024 $7m, 2025 $7m
Incorrectly structured contract extension: 2023 $6m, 2024 $7m, 2025 $8m or 2023 $4m, 2024 $5m, 2025 $6m

Contracts will be reviewed and altered to equal arbitration award

I still like the one year of service time. What if did two things, one made the length longer, like a 7 year max. Then we could do the minimum years at $1M. If you move on a guy after one year of service time, you'd be over paying 1M through the minimum years but then you'd have 5 (arb and one FA year) where it'd be almost assuredly lower than what it would be a year or two later.

Like Dani Gut for me, he wants 2.1M right now after one year of service. You could lock him up for 7 years for much cheaper than after he breaks out this year. Thoughts?