• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Week 12 Thread (Learning to Fly)

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
DpQ9YJl.png

Tennessee doesn't hire retreads. They hire inept up and comers or first timers.

Tennessee was about to hire Leach FYI! Then they fired the guy who was going to hire him.

I know that's what made me think of them. They might not be any better but they would certainly be more relevant in the football zeitgeist due to Leach's various eccentricities.

Lightningwar

Administrator
That's the whole point. Wazzu was winning like 1 game a year for what seems like 2 decades before he got there. There's lots of mediocre to bad teams out there right now that really need good QB play. USC is actually one of them!

FSU

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
People like Leach because he doesn't say, "we need to take it one game at a time. We need to be balanced. We need to pay with discipline." and blah blah fucking blah. Corch speak is the worst.

Also, because he told that little spoiled turd Craig James' son what he thought about him and his diddy.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Arkansas or one of the Arizonas (HERMano got this though) are probably the perfect 'next step' schools for Leach in that regard, should he choose to leave Wazzu

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Just makes you think if Harbaugh has what it takes to win big

“Corch X hasn’t won titles at non-blue blood program Y” is such a bad take lol

Saban wasn’t rolling in titles at MSU

:laughing: That's not my take. My take is that he should be able to back into a division championship or 10 win season more than twice every 18 years. Leach is good for one or two WTF losses a season (2015: Portland State, Washington; 2016: Eastern Washington, Minnesota; 2017: Cal, Arizona). Leach doesn't just struggle to beat big time programs like you'd expect at Wazzu, he struggles with shitty teams in random games. Pat Fitzgerald has 3 10-win seasons at fucking Northwestern. Kirk Ferentz has won 2 conference titles at Iowa, and has 5 10-win seasons. MSU is a terrible example, too. Why doesn't Leach's record look more like Dantonio's? MSU is hardly a blue-blood program, but he's got 3 conference titles and 6 10-win seasons.

Leach is great, yes. He's super entertaining as well. But there are plenty of average coaches at good programs or good coaches at average programs that have had many better seasons than Leach has had.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
You can definitely criticize the weird losses, but I think you already pointed out his “back in conference title” year. He went 11-1 in 2008 and didn’t even make the CCG because he was stuck in the same division as OU and UT both at their peaks. Pretty easy for guys like Pelini to make it when their competition every year was a good Mizzou program and nobody else.

Brick

criticism of leach not winning the big xii south is ridiculous. brown and stoops had ou and texas rolling all through leach's tenure.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
WRONG! Washington State is historically just about a .500 team and Leach's record there is ... .545. Wazzu was in the toilet because they hired Paul Wulff, but they were a decent program before that. They made the Rose Bowl in 1997 and 2002. They bounced between being pretty good and being bad in the 90s and 00s, but it's not Baylor or Kansas State pre-Snyder we're talking about here.

Leach's record really isn't as good as it should be, considering his offensive philosophy and coaching tree. He's been a head coach for 18 years and has 1 (probably going to be 2 after this year) 10-win season. At some point, he should have been able to back into a division title or a couple of 10 win seasons. Coaching luminaries like Bo Pelini and James Franklin have more 10 win seasons and CCG appearances than him. Leach is basically Pat Fitzgerald. Which is fine, but you're not going to give Fitzgerald the keys to a big program either.

And why not, exactly? Just more proof that coaching, more than most professions, is heavily nepotistic and good ole boy network oriented. Leach is a weirdo, no doubt about it. He is a guy who has such an unorthodox pedigree in the game that most football-minded ADs are frightened of him.

I'd be ecstatic if Lynn Swann held a press conference to announce Mike Leach as USC's next coach.

The pro-Helton crowd keep falling back on "uhhh, back to back 10-win seasons! Uhhhh, Rose Bowl! Uhhhh, Pac12 shampship!" while ignoring that the reason for those came down to having a slew of great players (most of which were recruited by his predecessors) like Jackson, Jones, Smith-Shuster, Cravens, and of course, Darnold.

This year's current roster is theoretically just as talented, based on Rivals star ratings, but they play about as poorly as I think I've ever seen a talented team play. He is not just having a down year. This is who he really is once you take off the mask named Sam Darnold.

Brick

dan mullen got a shot at florida. what he did at ms st. is about as close of a comparison to leach as you're gonna find.

bruin

Pat Fitzgerald turned down Michigan, right? He's probably a lifer at his alma mater.

and there's a 00000000% chance SC would ever go after and hire him, but shit you not, that'd be a terrifying hire for the rest of the conference/nation if Swann did.

not sure even SC can fire Helton at the moment, tbh. They don't even have a school president. Yes, some booster could take on his buyout by himself. But still, they won the Rose Bowl not even two years ago. Have a feeling the national media would kill SC for firing Helton, if they did.

now, I hope they extend Helton obvs.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Pat Fitzgerald turned down Michigan, right? He's probably a lifer at his alma mater.

There was a rumor from SOURCEZ that Michigan contacted him and he said no, but I don't remember much beyond that. Not sure if that was when Michigan hired Hoke or when Michigan hired Harbaugh.

Brick

nah. fitzgerald's wife loves chicago and he had bought a new house a few days before that rumor started, so it never made sense. know this because my friend who played at lsu said he was gonna transfer to northwestern and pat told him straight up he was staying. he was never offered and didn't get into serious talks.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Leach said he’d kill for the Miami job a few years back and they basically Lol’d at him.

BIG TIME programs cant handle their muchasmo. Why do you think SC has just kept recycling Carroll retreads

Would still love to see Leach at Miami.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT

and there's a 00000000% chance SC would ever go after and hire him, but shit you not, that'd be a terrifying hire for the rest of the conference/nation if Swann did.

not sure even SC can fire Helton at the moment, tbh. They don't even have a school president. Yes, some booster could take on his buyout by himself. But still, they won the Rose Bowl not even two years ago. Have a feeling the national media would kill SC for firing Helton, if they did.

now, I hope they extend Helton obvs.

Yeah, I think Helton, by virtue of riding the coattails of Sam Darnold to a pair of 10 win seasons, has "earned" a sub-par year (and this year, he'll be 5-7) plus there's the off-field turmoil the USC BoT is facing with needing a new president as well as dealing with the aftermath of the gynecologist scandal.

Footbaw is waaaaay down on the priorities list right now, and Helton, for all his ineptitude when it comes to actually coaching footbaw, runs what appears to be a clean and scandal-free program. To the powers that be at SC, that's pretty important in light of the embarrassments of his immediate predecessors.

On top of all that, Helton was given an extension last year which would make buying him out prohibitively expensive. So, short of him getting caught buggering 13-year old Thai ladyboys in the Heritage Hall lavatory, he's likely to be here for 2019.

Wuf

Desensitized and Willing
I would definitely take him over Doeren. Hell, State should just give up on trying to be good and bring back Amato

Lightningwar

Administrator
btw wasnt it Joel Klatt that talked about the end of Tom Brady after they started 2-3? And then the patriots went on a tear and won a superbowl?