• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

World Cup Group B (Spain/Netherlands/Chile/Australia)

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Keep your arms down.

Uhhh... he did. His arm was at his side and didn't move from there. Unless you want to say that defenders should defend with their arms behind their backs, which wasn't really an option with him running to catch up to the winger.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Uhhh... he did. His arm was at his side and didn't move from there. Unless you want to say that defenders should defend with their arms behind their backs, which wasn't really an option with him running to catch up to the winger.
Both his arms were out not at his side. The arm the ball hit wasn't as far out as the other, but it wasn't against his body.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
http://gfycat.com/BrokenMinorAlbertosaurus

He was definitely dragging his arm back EDIT: Gif loaded

BrokenMinorAlbertosaurus.gif

Last edited:

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Both his arms were out not at his side. The arm the ball hit wasn't as far out as the other, but it wasn't against his body.

So what? Explain how that means it was deliberate. That's the issue. I don't think he intended to handle the ball, and that means it's not a foul. If you can come up for an explanation about how it was deliberate, then I'll change my mind.

http://gfycat.com/BrokenMinorAlbertosaurus

He was definitely dragging his arm back

Again, so what? He's in a natural defending position. He's not even looking at the ball when it hits his arm. They are extremely close. His arms aren't waving wildly around. Again, how is that deliberate?

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
It's nearly impossible to say most are deliberate. I prefer they call them all.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
It's nearly impossible to say most are deliberate. I prefer they call them all.

I agree 100% with this. And my point is, if you go strictly by the rules, most handballs that are called are not fouls. Including this one.

That said, there's a reason that a lot of defenders play with their arms behind their backs in similar situations. Since the refs call it so often, you have to be incredibly careful. As a player, you have to be aware of how the refs will call that, even if they're wrong going strictly by the rules.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
It is hard to officiate based on intent. Ref saw him move his arm backwards and away from his body and away from the direction of motion. Based on that it looks intentional. If you don't want to get called for that, don't flail around like a windmill.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Yeah it's a weird rule honestly. In my opinion if they are against the body, they shouldn't call it. If they are extended away from the body they should. In this case the ball actually hit his hand away from his body. Intent is too hard to call unless it's a Suarez type situation.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
The HTML5/Gfy is so much better quality than gifs. Pls can we embed them someday. Anyways look at it, his arm is way behind

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
The HTML5/Gfy is so much better quality than gifs. Pls can we embed them someday. Anyways look at it, his arm is way behind

His arm is behind, but it looks like a pretty natural defending position to me. I dunno. Whatever, not a huge deal.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
The Spain lineup looks pretty vulnerable to me. Also playing two holding mids again (plus a 3rd in defense apparently). Rooting for Chile.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Who had the hockey assist on that? It looked like Vidal. That was a hell of pass. Went from about a 3 v 5 to a 2 v 1.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
And to think I called for the Spaniards to defend their World Cup. I hope they get buried by the Ozzis if they crash out against Chitlins Con Carne Asada Tacos.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Have Spain even had a shot on goal at this point? They don't seem to have any attacking plan.

gilstein21

this has been fun. Was worried about Chile not clearing the ball well early on, but seems like they've cleared that up.