• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2014 MLB Thread: No Noodles

Renegade

Charge on!
Some would say Fredi is just continuing the Braves playoff tradition.

And they'd be right, which is why I would not extend him. The streak of playoff losses is as embarrassing as the streak of division championships was pride-inducing.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
Way to go, Phillies. Guys don't sign with your organization, so the obvious thing to do is go complain to the NCAA that they broke the rules and hired agents. I wouldn't bother wasting draft picks on college players for the foreseeable future. The RAJ regime, errybody.

Phillies Accused Ben Wetzler Of NCAA Rules Violations

Heading into the second weekend of the college baseball season, Oregon State senior lefthander Ben Wetzler remains in limbo, waiting for the NCAA to rule on his eligibility. Until he is cleared, he cannot play.

Several sources have confirmed to Baseball America that the Phillies, who drafted Wetzler in the fifth round last June but did not sign him, told the NCAA in November that Wetzler violated the NCAA’s “no agent” rule. That rule is widely disregarded by baseball prospects, whose advisers routinely negotiate with teams on players’ behalf, against NCAA rules—because that is the industry norm. As an American League scouting director told Baseball America in 2008, “Every single player that we deal with—I don’t care what round you’re talking about—has representation, has an agent.”

And every year, some players drafted inside the top 10 rounds elect not to sign pro contracts, often drawing the ire of the clubs that drafted them. But major league teams almost never attempt to contact the NCAA in order to report potential violations. The Phillies, according to sources, did just that with two players they drafted last year: Wetzler and sixth-round pick Jason Monda, who opted to return to Washington State for his senior year. Monda was cleared to play by the NCAA last Thursday, the day before the college season began.
When asked about the Wetzler situation Wednesday, Phillies scouting director Marti Wolever told Baseball America, “I have no comment.”

It is worth noting that just because the Phillies accused Wetzler and Monda of rules violations, that doesn’t necessarily mean they violated those rules. Until the NCAA issues its verdict on Wetzler’s status, we won’t know all the details of this story. Sources expect a ruling to come down by the end of this week, but the NCAA has already dragged its feet for three months, so it’s anyone’s guess how much longer the nation’s No. 2 team will have to wait to find out whether or not its senior ace will be able to pitch this season.

Renegade

Charge on!
Paul Goldschmidt got 5/31 last year with the same service level as Simmons. Simmons may be the best defensive SS in the game, but his offensive production just doesn't merit that much money. Damn.

atlbraves

Paul Goldschmidt got 5/31 last year with the same service level as Simmons. Simmons may be the best defensive SS in the game, but his offensive production just doesn't merit that much money. Damn.

That was a bad deal for Goldschmidt. Ultimately, a small overpay is better than a large overpay for the Braves. If they waited then he'd be looking at (at least) Elvis Andrus money pretty soon.

Chief

Lt. Fun Times
This Phillies thing is absolutely hilarious to me. The guy who broke the story has been talking to agents all day and posting their reaction on twitter, people are just killing the Phillies. What a mess. Keith Law put it best I think:

"The Phillies gain nothing from this - no savings, no leverage - and potentially damaged relationships with players, agents, and schools as a result. The move could prove extremely damaging. And Amaro referring questions to Wolever isn't much better. You're the GM, and the buck stops with you."

R2D2

Simpsons-HankScorpioFlamethrower.gif

Soon.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
RAJ finally speaks on turning in players to the NCAA. One of them has already received an 11-game suspension as a result of this.

The Philadelphia Phillies were embroiled in some controversy this week that had nothing to do with signing a 35-year-old-and-up ballplayer to a new contract. Let’s see if we can sum up this controversy quickly and succinctly for the uninitiated.
In a story first reported by Aaron Fitt for Baseball America, 2013 fifth-round pick Ben Wetzler decided to spurn the Phillies’ contract offer and return to college. In turn, the Phillies alleged that Wetzler had used an agent present during negotiations, which is in violation of NCAA rules. Wetzler received an 11-game suspension from the NCAA for his part.
It’s said the Phillies accused sixth-round pick Jason Monda of doing the same thing.
For the record, this is not a common practice. Deadspin’s Barry Petchesky writes that it’s been over 20 years since the last time a team pulled this,the Chicago White Sox in 1992. Todd Zolecki for MLB.com adds that it is“widely known and accepted” college athletes use an adviser to assist in the negotiations.
The Phillies released the following statement (and yes, this is in full):
“The Phillies did participate in the NCAA investigation and a ruling has been issued. We believe it is inappropriate to comment further on either the negotiation with the player or the action taken by the NCAA.”​
General manager Ruben Amaro Jr. would later comment further—though he didn’t have much to offer—but we’ll get to that in a moment.
The concern for fans is these types of actions will make it harder for the organization to sign their draft picks in the future. Fitt quoted one agent as saying they’re shutting down communications with the Phillies. And just put yourself in a kid’s shoes—if you are weighing the option of going to college and you get drafted by the Phils, are you even going to talk to them and risk getting tattled on?
For what it’s worth, Amaro denied that the club’s actions will have any impact on future negotiations with draft picks. Phillies beat writer Dennis Deitch posted this exchange with the GM on his blog:
Q: Are you worried about how this could affect your ball club?
RAJ: No, I’m not.
Q: Do you think it could affect you, getting on college campuses, checking out guys, and in future drafts?
RAJ: I think people know we do things professionally and the way we go about our business. So I think our reputation is very good.​
That may seem like an overly simplistic way of looking at the potential fallout over this situation, yet how much of a black mark this leaves remains to be seen. Pro sports teams have gotten over all sorts of shady dealings and continued to go about their business as if nothing ever happened. If a young person wants to play professional baseball and they’re drafted by the Phillies, they’ll sign if the price is right.
Those thoughts were echoed by an agent adviser Nick J. Faleris spoke to for Baseball Prospectus.
It definitely will not help [the Phillies] for the draft, and I think the trust level has gone down to zero. I think they will see some backlash, and they may have to alter their draft board a little, but in the end money still talks…they will still draft and sign quality players. I have seen quotes today from agents stating that the ‘Phillies are not getting into any more of our households’ and I have to laugh. I thought the advisor/agent works for the client and the client determines who he does and does not talk to?​
The real question on everybody’s mind though is, “Why?” And it appears to be the one we’re not going to get an answer to. Amaro repeated it would be inappropriate to discuss the specifics behind the negotiations.
The Phillies gained nothing from this but backlash and quite possibly hard feelings in future negotiations as far as anybody outside the organization can tell.
If it was just one athlete, that might make it a little easier to at least try to look at the situation from the Phillies’ point of view. The fact that it was two kids though with two different advisers per Fitt—and that there was no real benefit to turning them in even if they were in violation—makes it even more difficult to see the team’s side.

Plotty

Tath Meacher
One year 8 million for Cruz to the Orioles.

Could be steal of FA season or a huge bust.

also, teams like Red Sox, royals might lose that comped draft pick bc free agents may hold out signing until draft in June...per Ken Rosenthal. If that's the case sign Santana to 15 mil and plug him in #2. Send blowchevar and junkballa Chen and their 9 million plus packing.

Gooksta

9 days away from me enjoying warm arizona weather and watching Spring training baseball.. this week is already going by too slow :eek:

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
The batter of the game....Roberto Hernandez has a sinker that doesn't sink and Jose Bautista crushes it toward South America. Hernandez will really shore up the back end of the rotation.

RAJ signings already putting in good work. :thumbsup:

osick87

Community Liaison
The batter of the game....Roberto Hernandez has a sinker that doesn't sink and Jose Bautista crushes it toward South America. Hernandez will really shore up the back end of the rotation.

RAJ signings already putting in good work. :thumbsup:

Dude makes 4.5 million and is a reliable inning eating Starting Pitcher. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth

Bucksin04

I don't even know where to put this, but since it involved John Rocker I'll drop it here. The awesome @PFTCommenter account got into a debate with Rocker on Twitter today that was amazing.

http://t.co/2oyqTaGhsn

Packfan

Administrator
Administrator
NL Central is going to be fun

1. Minnesota Twins
Farm System Ranking in 2013: 4
2014 Top Ten Prospects: Link
State of the System: No team in baseball can boast the same level of top tier talent on both sides of the ball and impressive depth at every level.
Top Prospect: Byron Buxton (1)
Breakout Candidates for 2014: Lewis Thorpe and Jorge Polanco
Prospects on the BP 101: 8
Must-See Affiliate: Low-A Cedar Rapids
Prospects to See There: Kohl Stewart, Felix Jorge, Stephen Gonsalves, Ryan Eades, Lewis Thorpe
Farm System Trajectory for 2015: Down. It’s hard to stay on top, especially with some of the top talent in the system likely to graduate to the highest level (Sano, Meyer, Pinto)

2. Chicago Cubs
Farm System Ranking in 2013: 12
State of the System: Thanks to a strong draft, clever trades, an aggressive acquisition plan in the international market, and developmental progress from some of the big names in the system, the Cubs became one of the strongest systems in the game.
Top Prospect: Javier Baez (4)
Breakout Candidates for 2014: Jeimer Candelario and Paul Blackburn
Prospects on the BP 101: 7
Must-See Affiliate: Double-A Tennessee
Prospects to See There: Kris Bryant, Albert Almora, Jorge Soler, CJ Edwards, Pierce Johnson, Dan Vogelbach
Farm System Trajectory for 2015: Up. While its likely that several of the Cubs’ top prospects will get a taste of the majors in 2014, the majority of the talent will remain eligible for next season’s list, and if you add to the mix a high draft pick this June and an extreme amount of young depth ready to make their stateside debuts, the system could take over the coveted rank of number one in baseball.

3. Pittsburgh Pirates
Farm System Ranking in 2013: 6
State of the System: Loaded with impact talent on both sides of the ball with major-league quality depth at the complex level through Triple-A.
Top Prospect: Jameson Taillon (19)
Breakout Candidates for 2014: Josh Bell and Cody Dickson
Prospects on the BP 101: 7
Must-See Affiliate: Low-A West Virginia
Prospects to See There: Austin Meadows, Reese McGuire, Harold Ramirez, Cody Dickson
Farm System Trajectory for 2015: Steady. The farm could lose the top two horses in Taillon and Polanco, but the depth is strong and should keep the Pirates’ farm in the top three for years to come.

4. Boston Red Sox
Farm System Ranking in 2013: 16
State of the System: Impact talent at premium up-the-middle positions and major-leaguer caliber arms in the upper-minors.
Top Prospect: Xander Bogaerts (2)
Breakout Candidates for 2014: Blake Swihart and Trey Ball
Prospects on the BP 101: 6
Must-See Affiliate: Triple-A Pawtucket
Prospects to See There: Garin Cecchini, Matt Barnes, Henry Owens, Christian Vazquez,
Anthony Ranaudo
Farm System Trajectory 2015: Down. As good as the depth is in the Red Sox system, losing Bogaerts, Bradley and Webster (they could also lose Barnes and Cecchini) will weaken the farm as a whole.

5. Houston Astros
Farm System Ranking in 2013: 9
State of the System: Top-heavy with three prospects in the top 25 in the game followed by a deep roster of prospects with legit major-league futures.
Top Prospect: Carlos Correa (5)
Breakout Candidates for 2014: Rio Ruiz and Michael Feliz
Prospects on the BP 101: 5
Must-See Affiliate: High-A Lancaster
Prospects to See There: Carlos Correa, Mark Appel, Vince Velasquez, Lance McCullers, Rio Ruiz, Teoscar Hernandez, Andrew Thurman
Farm System Trajectory for 2015: Up. Losing does have its advantages, as the Astros will once again be picking 1:1 in the June draft and will be allotted more money to spend on amateur acquisitions than any other team in baseball.

6. St. Louis Cardinals
Farm System Ranking in 2013: 1
State of the System: Even after losing Shelby Miller, Michael Wacha, Trevor Rosenthal, Matt Adams, and Carlos Martinez to the major-league level, the Cardinals remain a strong system, built on the star power of Oscar Taveras and the mixture of high-ceiling depth and high-floor role players throughout the system.
Top Prospect: Oscar Taveras (3)
Breakout Candidates for 2014: Alexander Reyes and Carson Kelly
Prospects on the BP 101: 4
Must-See Affiliate: Low-A Peoria
Prospects to See There: Alexander Reyes, Carson Kelly, Rob Kaminsky, CJ McElroy, Vaughn Bryan
Farm System Trajectory for 2015: Down. Losing Taveras and Wong will sting the system, but several prospects could step forward in 2014 to keep the Cardinals in the discussion for the top 10, most notably right-hander Alex Reyes, who has a chance to follow in the footsteps of Cardinals’ recent power arms Miller, Wacha, and Martinez.

Gooksta

got into as. just got back from dodgers vs reds. a dodger hit a grand slam and Gonzalez hit a solo shot. a lot of dodger fans. go back to good year tomorrow for Indians and cubbies

Packfan

Administrator
Administrator
So Ryan Braun has 2 home runs and looks just as built as before. Is he still on the good stuff, or just dumb because he didn't need it?

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
So Ryan Braun has 2 home runs and looks just as built as before. Is he still on the good stuff, or just dumb because he didn't need it?

Probably on the better stuff now. HGH, Insulin-like Growth Factor, Human Chorionic Gonadotropin ((hCG), Luetenizing Hormone (LH), etc.

Edit: Actually based on what Anthony Bosch said, he was probably already on that stuff.

Last edited:

Gooksta

saw my third game today. cubs vs Indians. K Bryant hit a 2 run hr in a losing effort. tmrrw cubs vs reds. the a late game dodgers and mariners. think I'll go see that one too. been a lot of fun out here

osick87

Community Liaison
Yay Ervin Santana. Might not be done because Orioles are offering incentives.

up next: Stephen Drew to play 2nd

Last edited:

Plotty

Tath Meacher
Good signing (maybe). KC should get back on that since Blowchevar, after last yr figuring it out, partial tear in UCLA in elbow. Tommy. John.

Last year Id say hooray! This year, aww fuck.

Packfan

Administrator
Administrator
BiY9ME7CAAAcoKs.jpg

To help keep the riffraff off the field the #Cubs installed what we call today: the basket. Wrigley Field c.1970

Packfan

Administrator
Administrator
69 was when the bleacher bums became popular, I have heard some stories from my parents of double headers with 5 cent beers, I can only imagine.

Renegade

Charge on!
The Braves rotation is looking shaky:

- Mike Minor likely to start on the DL (though probably for no more than 2 weeks to stretch out....hopefully)
- Brandon Beachy may start on the DL and is only throwing about 87 tops
- Kris Medlen is going to the doc about his elbow...keeping in mind that he has previously had Tommy John surgery on that elbow
- Gavin Floyd was signed as an F/A knowing that he would be out until early June most likely

So...

1. Julio Teheran
2. Freddy Garcia
3. Alex Wood
4. David Hale
5. Underwear Gnomes?

Realistically #5 is probably Yunesky Maya, late of the Nationals. I doubt they'd move last year's #1 pick Jason Hursh up from A+ to the majors with no experience at AA/AAA. Not for a handful of starts until Minor hopefully returns anyway.

But the more menacing sign is that the Braves are apparently kicking the tires on Ervin Santana at $10-15m/year, though I doubt they get that deal done with the White Sox allegedly offering 3 years, $33m.

Alternately, the team just hired Horacio Ramirez to be the instant replay coordinator and to throw LH batting practice, so we could just run his ass out there. Couldn't do any worse than Yunesky Maya.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
@Renegade The pitching staff for the Bravos is screwed this year if Medlen is iffy throughout the season. Teheran is decent, but the rest of the staff is questionable at best.

Renegade

Charge on!
@Renegade The pitching staff for the Bravos is screwed this year if Medlen is iffy throughout the season. Teheran is decent, but the rest of the staff is questionable at best.

Eh, I think Minor and Beachy are the best two pitchers followed by Medlen. Beachy especially could be special if he stays healthy/fully recovers. Teheran is still young, but definitely can get there. Lot of talent, but it's still to be recognized. But if we go for long without those three, or really any of them, we're not in good shape. Alex Wood is going to be solid, but I don't think he can handle being the #3 guy this year, nor is Freddy Garcia likely to be effective over an entire season -- though he can be quite good in spot starts as we saw last year.

Renegade

Charge on!
Well I think he'll be the long-reliever if everyone is healthy and depending on whether Wood is needed to be a bullpen lefty.