• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2014 MLB Thread: No Noodles

osick87

Community Liaison
There are rumors the Barves are interested in Ervin as well.

Also Giancarlo mashed a ball last night. :love::love::love::love::love:

Renegade

Charge on!
Do not want Ervin. I think he'll get a bigger contract than what the Braves can probably offer, and I really don't see them going multi-year.

osick87

Community Liaison
Nobody has offered him multi year. From what I've read is Jays offered him 1 yr 14mil. Orioles offered him 1 yr 13mil with incentives that would likely be more than 14 mil if he played well.

Bdub

Looks like the news on Medlen is not good. Probably going to be out awhile. Who knows about Beachy they pulled him after only 2 innings saying he had arm soreness.

GTfan27

Gag. The news on Medlen and/or Beachy must not be good, because we just gave up our first round pick for a #4 starter.

We had to give up a first round pick to get Santana?

I heard Nedlen may be done for the year. And honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Beachy turned to be the next Jair Jurrjens.

Unfortubately this was an emergency pickup that had to be done.

Renegade

Charge on!
Yeah, Santana had a qualifying offer made, so the Braves forfeit their 1st round pick and KC picks up a compensatory pick at the end of the 1st round.

Rule: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/11/explaining-qualifying-offers.html
Cite on Santana: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/03/braves-sign-ervin-santana.html

By making this signing, the Braves are sacrificing their No. 26 overall selection in the draft, though that loss is lessened somewhat by the fact that they will have the No. 32 overall pick after losing Brian McCann to the Yankees as a free agent. The signing also means that Royals will now gain the No. 28 selection in the 2014 draft, as Yahoo's Jeff Passan tweetedover the weekend. That will give Kansas City four of the first 58 picks in this year's draft.

Also, that second link does confirm that Minnesota (not the CWS as I thought) made a 3-year offer, but only worth $33m.

osick87

Community Liaison
I guess the Jays could look into trading for the Shark. Gooksta, what you want?

Last edited:

osick87

Community Liaison
I saw the first one. I'm sure some old asshole will say Olt runs the bases the right way. I think he ran them in like 17 seconds the one I saw.

nowitsourtime

Sandberg apparently benched him for whatever reason. I mean this isn't surprising. Rollins clashed with Manuel a couple of times too. Dude can be a hot head

Fangraphs had an interesting article on the Rollins benching: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/jimmy-rollins-and-the-incentives-of-vesting-options/

Of course this is assuming the Phillies front office is actually keen enough to use this strategy which, based on past signings, may not be likely

Also, I will be interested to see if the Tigers make a stab at Drew since Iglesias is down until the ASB at least. Then again, look how signing a player based on injury turned out the Tigers when they signed Prince Fielder

Renegade

Charge on!
Medlen having Tommy John this week; Beachy is getting a second opinion, but it looks like it's TJ for him too. The second one for both of them.

I'd be willing to bet the Braves pay the price for Samardzija come June or July as long as this staff keeps them in contention.

Bdub

Even if their not in contention. They won't have any pitching next year unless they get some. I think Beachy's career is probably mostly over.

Renegade

Charge on!
Even if their not in contention. They won't have any pitching next year unless they get some. I think Beachy's career is probably mostly over.

The key question for next season will be whether J.R. Graham and Jason Hursh are MLB-ready. If they are, that's two #2 or higher starters that would be added into the mix. If not, a move for Samardzija or someone would probably have to happen.

Minor and Teheran are clearly your core going forward. Alex Wood, in his limited action last year, looked like he can be an effective MLB starter. We'll see at what level. The question is what can David Hale do...can he be an effective #3 guy? If so, we're in good shape. Even if he's really just a #4, that's probably all we need out of him. If you have those 4, that's not too bad. Teheran still may turn into a #1 starter, Minor is a good #2, Wood looks like a #2/3, and so you just need Hale, Graham, and Hursh to develop. Lot of writeups say Graham could be a legit #1, Hursh is probably more of a #2/3, so there's some talent to work with (as long as they all stay healthy, knock on wood).

Gooksta

I love Theo Epstein. the top 20 prospect list for the cubs just got released for this season. the top 2 teenage international free agents he signed are in there. the top kid is #12 already

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
The crux of the Rollins-Sandberg issues comes from (surprise, surprsise) RAJ and the contract Rollins was given back in 2012. It's a 3/33 deal which has an option for a fourth year (2015) at $11M. The fourth year vests under the following conditions: 1) 600 plate appearances in 2014 or 2) 1,100 PAs in 2013-14 and Rollins is not on disabled list at end of 2014 season (or if he is on the DL, a mutually agreed upon doctor deems him available for 2015 Opening Day roster).

Rollins had 666 PAs last season and only needs 434 PAs this season for the $11M option to vest. Cue, RAJ to tell Sandberg to ride Rollins' ass and start a campaign to make Rollins look like he's not trying/needs to try harder. The campaign isn't a long reach because Rollins clashed with Manuel over not hustling in the past so this can now be used against him.

If the $11M option doesn't vest, it turns into a $8M team option or a $5M player option.

The Phillies can't trade Rollins easily because he has 10/5 rights to refuse any trade. So, it's easier to jerk his playing time around and make him look him bad. Basically run him out of town while trying to win the PR war in the media.

Bucksin04

v9UiJ5a.gif

GR8 2 B FL G8R

Shake Shack is now in Miami, is it worth going to? The one across the street from the U seems to be bustling with college girls just anxious for that Freshman 15

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Shake Shack is now in Miami, is it worth going to? The one across the street from the U seems to be bustling with college girls just anxious for that Freshman 15

I've only been to the one at Citi Field. To me it was ok, but overrated. I'm guessing the ones that aren't in baseball stadiums are better.

Gooksta

Junior Lake hits 3 Hr's today, Valbuena hits 2 and Olt hits one

lake and Valbuena went back to back twice against the A's