• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2016-17 NBA Season: no IT ITT

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
why wont these motherfuckers go to the east?

To what great franchise? Miami? Charlotte? Chicago? Philly? Detroit?Boston?

Most of the franchises in the east are either poorly run/have shitty weather/have racist fans or some combination of those things. I'd go west too.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
LOL at zero cap space. Very easy in the NBA to create it. Rockets have all of their picks basically so if they want to dump Anderson contract, someone will take it. They could move Gordon too and get a nice haul on his contract.

As OU said too-- Warriors have injury, Draymond goes insane again, etc. they're in position.

They have a top 5 player in his prime... what are they supposed to do? Wait it out?

Wuf

Desensitized and Willing
I thought the whole point of last year was making Harden the point?

I don't see it as a horrible move but I don't think it will effect much

NML

LOL at zero cap space. Very easy in the NBA to create it. Rockets have all of their picks basically so if they want to dump Anderson contract, someone will take it. They could move Gordon too and get a nice haul on his contract.

As OU said too-- Warriors have injury, Draymond goes insane again, etc. they're in position.

They have a top 5 player in his prime... what are they supposed to do? Wait it out?

I think 90% of doh posts start with "lol" or "lulz"

NML

Couple things:

- I don't think they should do nothing. I just don't think adding Chris Paul for a year or paying a 38 year old $40m was the right choice

- They just traded their 2018 pick, so they can't trade another pick until 2020, which is three years away. Most GMs don't have three years to wait for an asset to come around (especially because Houston will still be good then, so it's not even a good asset).

- If they do add another star, that still doesn't make this the right move. Maybe Paul, Lebron, Melo, and Wade all come next offseason for a retirement tour.

doh

I think 90% of doh posts start with "lol" or "lulz"
No only at the dumb posts.

They just got a top 20 player for the grand total of two decent players and a late first. It's a one-year rental and if he doesn't mesh with Harden, they can just let him go and use that cap space next year. It'll help Harden too (less minutes needed to be played, can play off the ball more so he isn't a corpse at the end of the year).

Paul can be used to lure another star too.

Point of NBA is to attract and get stars.. not stack up 17 2nd round picks and 10 late 1sts.

NML

So a one year rental of Paul is better than a one year rental of George when pairing with Harden? How? It's certainly not better if they plan on signing the second player long term, because Paul is about to become the highest paid player in the league, getting paid until he's 38 (using a rule he helped pass, btw).

The trade isn't questionable because they gave up too much. It's that a one year rental of 32 year old Chris Paul (or overpaying for his corpse) is a weird way to allocate those resources when there are A LOT of really good players available.

doh

So a one year rental of Paul is better than a one year rental of George when pairing with Harden? How? It's certainly not better if they plan on signing the second player long term, because Paul is about to become the highest paid player in the league, getting paid until he's 38 (using a rule he helped pass, btw).

The trade isn't questionable because they gave up too much. It's that a one year rental of 32 year old Chris Paul (or overpaying for his corpse) is a weird way to allocate those resources when there are A LOT of really good players available.
Like who? George and who else is close to Paul's level? What's the price of George too?

Maybe you're confused at this point and think the idea of AsSeTs is to hoard them and draft 22 non- All Stars?

NML

Then why not PG and Hayward? Or PG and LaMarcus Aldridge?

So many options that fit better than Chris Paul

NML

Players that are/were available that are a better fit

PG13
Butler
LMA
Love
Griffin
Lowry

Probably more that I can't think of

NML

I'll concede that if they pull off both Paul's, it'd look better. I just doubt that they do that.

evil1

I agree that Chris Paul's age is a risk, but I think Chris Paul fits D'Antoni's style and that team better than most everyone else on NML's list. I cannot think of a better fit for a D'Antoni offense than Chris Paul.

Schauwn

Except when Harden was out and the offense was being run by Gordon/Williams it wasn't exactly break-neck pace and Beverly never looked comfortable running the offense. At least with Paul if they do slow down when Harden is off the floor, you have someone of his caliber running the offense.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator

giphy.gif

evil1

Ricky Rubio being traded to Utah for a first round pick. That also means that the Jazz won't re-sign George Hill (who had a really good year) and will have extra money to keep Hayward. Maybe Hill goes back to San Antonio?