• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

College Football Offseason Thread Presented by Joe Mixon's Punch-Out!!

Im assuming the area in the western half of MN and eastern half of ND are NDSU fans.

I would have assumed the same, but it looks like this study only considered FBS schools, so that area seems to have very divided loyalties. The Orange color is actually for the Texas Longhorns, with a whopping 8-9% share in most counties.

bruin

old school avi circa pre flufftopia 2006-2008

UCLA-Bruins-cartoon-logo-CC-296x300.jpg

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
He didn't seem mad in the article I read. He just said he couldn't work out with the team. Said he was grateful to him for helping him to get a new contract and that he wanted the best for him. Is there another article where he says something else?

He didn't seem mad in the article I read. He just said he couldn't work out with the team. Said he was grateful to him for helping him to get a new contract and that he wanted the best for him. Is there another article where he says something else?

My understanding from local sources* (!!!) is that he is actually plenty pissed and believes that Oregon's coaching staff tampered with his player.

He believes it because it is unquestionably true, but also unlikely provable. He also knows that.

*My source is a guy from another message board who claims to know a guy on the EWU coaching staff. So, you know, it's rock solid.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Montana State coach is an idiot. He can let players go at any time. But if a player, who's graduated and given multiple years to his program, wants to leave, then that's unacceptable. God forbid the players and coaches be on equal footing!

I wonder how many players he's given a firm handshake to after 4 years (as opposed to a 5th year). That's a pretty accepted practice. But the other way around is bad! Fuck this guy.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Yeah if Oregon called him and offered him 5 million per to be their corch, would he say, "sorry but no. We are not a farm system."

FOH

Dr. Shats Basoon

Closed mouths don't get fed
http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/02/25/baylor-running-back-homeless-salsa-nacita

In 2014, I was just a kid who couched surfed and took classes online at a community college, but I had a dream to play college football," Nacita wrote. "Throughout that year, I was able to earn enough academic scholarships to pursue that dream, but it was only enough to pay for school without a place to stay or any other living expenses. Still, I was satisfied with that because I knew the sacrifice I was making in order to pursue that dream. However, a few months before enrolling, a close family friend approached me and said they didn't want me sleeping on floors and wondering how I was going to eat the next meal, so they insisted on putting me in an apartment and helping out with those living expenses. Because I accepted that offer instead of choosing to be homeless, I am no longer eligible to play football and pursue my dream. I had no idea I was breaking any rules, but I respect the decision of the NCAA."

welp

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Interesting. Baylor probably canned him because 1) he isn't a particularly consequential player for them anyway, and 2) if the NCAA DID look at him askance as far as taking "improper benefits," Baylor doesn't want any NCAA headaches.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator

Nothing in that story added up, turns out it was pretty much all false. The NCAA has never not approved a waiver for a school to help homeless athletes get a place to stay. It happened earlier last year with a Boise State player. Obviously Baylor knew the story didn't add up and didn't apply for a waiver knowing full well it was inaccurate.

I would also question how a walk-on running back who is homeless can afford to pay the $40,000/year tuition to play at Baylor. Even if he qualifies for financial aid, which he surely does, I can't imagine it would cover the full amount.

bruin

Not going to lie, I'm a bit excited about UCLA's home and home with Daddy in a couple years.

Dr. Shats Basoon

Closed mouths don't get fed

Brick

don't worry uncle phil will pay off the families.

dana altman should have killed them when he had the chance. brian kelly hushed-hushed the rape by k5h. that's the way to do it.

DHawkeye

Eterna Optimis
Jake Rudock, formerly QB1 for the Iowa Hawkeyes, is apparently planning to transfer.

Sounds like Michigan is a likely destination. He was listed as the backup on the baffling post-bowl depth chart, but CJ "Sunshine" Beathard has hardly grasped the starting position by the balls just yet. With Rudock's departure, we have Beathard, then a RS Frosh and two true blue rookies as fallback plans. Iowa fans knew this year was going to be a shitshow, but still... yikes.

So it goes. The guy was a class act, and I wish him well. Or at least better than he got at Iowa.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Man, if he came to Michigan. He was the 3rd most efficient passer in the Big Ten this past year (!!!!!!!!!!! - BIG TENNNNNN). With a QB like that, Michigan could be a threat to win the conference. With a competent QB, I'd be disappointed if Michigan doesn't get to 10 wins this year. With Ruddock, Michigan could easily jump just behind Ohio State and Wisconsin in the Big Ten pecking order. Probably just around the same level as Michigan State; the teams would be very similar.

dirt

Trolltalitarian
Man, if he came to Michigan. He was the 3rd most efficient passer in the Big Ten this past year (!!!!!!!!!!! - BIG TENNNNNN). With a QB like that, Michigan could be a threat to win the conference. With a competent QB, I'd be disappointed if Michigan doesn't get to 10 wins this year. With Ruddock, Michigan could easily jump just behind Ohio State and Wisconsin in the Big Ten pecking order. Probably just around the same level as Michigan State; the teams would be very similar.

Picard.jpeg

Lightningwar

Administrator
Spring ball is all about optimism. I'm optimistic FSU can win 10 games next year even though they have been gutted via the draft and have an avg to crappy DC.

coogrfan

Rules changes for 2015:

http://www.footballfoundation.org/News/Blog/tabid/521/entryid/74/Default.aspx

Rogers Redding, the national coordinator of College Football Officiating, provides insights about rules changes and the mindset of college football referees. The CFO is the national professional organization for all football officials who work games at the collegiate level. The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel (PROP) has given final approval to rules changes for 2015.
Below are descriptions of several of the changes.
Crew of Eight Officials: For about thirty years the rules have allowed as many as seven officials on the field. Based on an approved experiment by the Big 12 Conference, which was described in this column last summer, the rules now allow for eight officials. The eighth official, the center judge (with the letter “C” on the uniform), is positioned in the offensive backfield opposite the Referee.
Non-Standard Overbuilt Facemask is Illegal: This is a facemask characterized by greater weight and closer spacing between the bars. Use of the facemask is a safety issue: opponents can easily get their fingers caught in the tight space. The NFL outlawed this facemask a few years ago. Illegal Equipment: Player is Out for One Play: Up until now, if the officials noticed that a player was wearing illegal equipment, the team was charged one of its three timeouts. The new rule is that the player must leave the game for at least one play and may not return until the equipment is made legal. His team may burn a timeout to keep him from missing a down, but the equipment must be corrected before he is allowed to play.
Pregame Warm-Ups: Teams Guaranteed Access to the Field: By the new rule, the teams are now guaranteed that they may remain on the field for pregame warm-ups until at least 22 minutes before the opening kickoff. The committee was concerned that teams were being forced to leave the field early because of other pregame activities, and thus were having to spend too much time in the locker room before the kickoff. The new rule may be suspended for a given game by prior mutual agreement of the teams. -
Resetting the Play Clock When the Ball is Not Ready for Play: When the play clock begins its count from 40 seconds, on rare occasions the officials will have difficulty getting a new ball from the sidelines. In such a case after some period of time, the Referee will stop the game clock and signal for the play clock to be reset to 25 seconds. In previous years, this was done after 20 seconds had elapsed. This has been changed to 15 seconds, to prevent too much time from running off the clock. This happens very seldom, but there must be a rule to deal with it.

Helmet off Defensive Player: Play Clock Set to 40 Seconds: Here is another change involving the play clock. When a player’s helmet comes off, the game clock is stopped and the player must leave the game for one play. In past years, the play clock has been set to 25 seconds. Last year, however, there were a few situations near the end of a half where this happened with more than 25 seconds on the game clock; this forces the offense to have to snap the ball one more time when they were trying to run out the clock. So now the play clock is set to 40 seconds when a defensive player loses his helmet, and still to 25 seconds when it is a player on offense. This is also consistent with the rule for stopping the game due to an injured player.

Pushing or Pulling an Opponent off the Pile: Unsportsmanlike Conduct: Player safety continues to be a major emphasis of the rules committee. This new rule addresses player action at the end of a fumble play, for example, when several players are scuffling for the ball in a pile. Starting in 2015, if a player forcibly pulls or pushes an opponent off the pile, he is to be charged with unsportsmanlike conduct. Here’s why this is important: if a player is flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct twice in the game, he is automatically disqualified after the second offense. The committee believes this will be a major deterrent to this kind of action, which can lead to more trouble and potential injury.

Sideline Warning Returns: An important point of emphasis for the rules committee and the officials is keeping the sidelines clean. This means that players and coaches are not to be in the restricted area---the space between the sidelines and the coaches’ box and team area. For a long time, the first infraction led to a sideline warning, with no yardage penalty. After a few years the rule was changed to ****** a five-yard penalty for the first offense. Now, we are returning to the warning for the first infraction. No yardage penalty will result until the second offense.

Instant Replay: Blocking During an On-Side Kick May Be Reviewed: One of the important rules about kickoffs is that the kicking team is not allowed to touch the ball until it has gone ten yards, unless the receivers touch the ball first. After it has gone ten yards, either team may get the ball. A rule that is not so well known is that the kicking team may not block until they are eligible to touch the ball. The Instant Replay Official (IRO) has always been able to review whether the kick is touched. Starting in 2015, the IRO may also review whether the kicking team blocks before being eligible to touch the ball; if they do, it is a foul. The rules committee feels that because of the enormous potential for the kicking team to get possession of the ball as the result of blocking too early, the IRO should be able to review this play and possibly “create a foul” from the replay booth.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Rules changes for 2015:

http://www.footballfoundation.org/News/Blog/tabid/521/entryid/74/Default.aspx

Pushing or Pulling an Opponent off the Pile: Unsportsmanlike Conduct: Player safety continues to be a major emphasis of the rules committee. This new rule addresses player action at the end of a fumble play, for example, when several players are scuffling for the ball in a pile. Starting in 2015, if a player forcibly pulls or pushes an opponent off the pile, he is to be charged with unsportsmanlike conduct. Here’s why this is important: if a player is flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct twice in the game, he is automatically disqualified after the second offense. The committee believes this will be a major deterrent to this kind of action, which can lead to more trouble and potential injury.

This one has the potential to get stupid. How is this a player safety issue? Doesn't the player safety issue come from those players diving into a pile after the whistle trying to rip the ball away from someone? Pulling them off the pile seems like the safest thing to happen during a fumble. They can already call unsportsmanlike conduct for excessive activities after the whistle, forcing officials to call this is going to lead to some really stupid penalties in some really important situations.

The rest seems fine, I already thought a few of these things were rules.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
It's their way of trying to avoid fights that can break out when a guy gets mad someone pulled him off the pile. It's pretty dumb though.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Jake Rudock to Michigan! Likely gives Michigan at least a competent offense now. Hooray!