• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2014 NBA Thread

Bucksin04

Cavs-Thudner is starting to resemble Chargers-Colts games. Cavs are now 3-1 in their past 4 games against OKC. Even though they clearly lack the talent, for whatever reason, Cleveland always seems to pose a problem for OKC like the Chargers always do for the Colts.

Packfan

Administrator
Administrator
4a07227595e630b0db8ee7faf71d8b4f_original.jpg

atlbraves

Since when do Shannon Brown and Earl Clark play for the Knicks? I like this buyout/10-day contract part of the season where you see these moves.

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
I like the Butler signing. Now that lineup with Durant at the 4 and Ibaka at the 5 can be really nasty.

Reggie - Westbrook - Butler - Durant - Ibaka

Herrb

Fucking NBA and protected picks. ESPN just laid out a picture of the Pelicans needing to "catch" the Celtics aka tank for the rest of the season lol.

Chase

Seems like an easy way for big market teams to get all the cream of the crop

Which is what the NBA probably wants. All these buyouts by guys on terrible teams to contenders is worse than 'tanking' too. And I seriously think the only team tanking is the 76ers.

GuyIncognito

Seems like an easy way for big market teams to get all the cream of the crop

Well if you keep the luxury tax system in place, then I'm not sure that's true. Big market teams in the current system aren't kept from stockpiling talent by the draft, they're kept from it by the cost and the salary cap and by the willingness of top shelf players to split their minutes and touches.

Could the Lakers or Knicks afford to outbid every other team in the league on the top pick every season? Could they keep all of those picks happy on the roster even if they could?

GuyIncognito

Awesome. Cuban lobbying to get top prospects to pass on the NCAA and go to the D League instead, says there's no reason the NBA can't work deals with local universities to pay for their school if they're that concerned about getting a degree too.

I'm all for it. NCAA basketball is a hypocritical joke even by NCAA "student-athlete" standards.

"You don't have to pretend. We don't have to pretend. A major college has to pretend that they're treating them like a student-athlete, and it's a big lie and we all know it's a big lie. At least at most schools, not all. ... But we can put more of an emphasis on their education. We can plan it out, have tutors. We can do all kinds of things that the NCAA doesn't allow schools to do that would really put the individual first.

"Then you wouldn't be under the stupidity of the NCAA. There's no reason for the NCAA to exist. None."

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/10538276/mark-cuban-says-nba-d-league-better-option-ncaa

GuyIncognito

If nothing else this will force the NBA or the NCAA (or both) to issue some ridiculous statement about how valuable those three months of college are to all the one-and-done NBA prospects.

That will be worth it just for the ridicule value.

Packfan

Administrator
Administrator
I am not sure just getting rid of the draft will help the NBA. Getting rid of the NCAA and using the DLeague as a minor league I am for and will probably help the young players more than college does.

in the NBA the stars drive the league more than the NFL, NHL or MLB. Dump the draft there and it shouldn't be a problem. I don't think the tax is enough in the NBA to keep the big markets in check. Maybe it would help eliminate some franchises but that should happen anyway.

Packfan

Administrator
Administrator
It is also interesting watching the other leagues innovate and try new things, yet the NBA continues to make their product more unwatchable. The only thing interesting about All-Star weekend was the slam dunk contest has now become a joke.

BIG EVIL

America's Finest
I was really intrigued by the draft wheel thing that was brought up a few months ago if anyone remembers that.

Dr. Shats Basoon

Closed mouths don't get fed
Awesome. Cuban lobbying to get top prospects to pass on the NCAA and go to the D League instead, says there's no reason the NBA can't work deals with local universities to pay for their school if they're that concerned about getting a degree too.

I'm all for it. NCAA basketball is a hypocritical joke even by NCAA "student-athlete" standards.

"You don't have to pretend. We don't have to pretend. A major college has to pretend that they're treating them like a student-athlete, and it's a big lie and we all know it's a big lie. At least at most schools, not all. ... But we can put more of an emphasis on their education. We can plan it out, have tutors. We can do all kinds of things that the NCAA doesn't allow schools to do that would really put the individual first.

"Then you wouldn't be under the stupidity of the NCAA. There's no reason for the NCAA to exist. None."

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/10538276/mark-cuban-says-nba-d-league-better-option-ncaa

I think the D-league is way underutilized as it is. So many younger players could be playing big minutes there instead of toiling away on the bench.

For example, from Portland:
Will Barton
Meyers Leonard
Allen Crabbe
Together these players average about 22 mpg.

I'd much rather have them be playing starter minutes against inferior/similar competition than spot-duty/clean-up time.
Shit if I was a journeyman bench player I think I would prefer to play in the d-league. Better than sitting on the bench all the time.

GuyIncognito

Well the primary mover on getting rid of the draft isn't some nebulous commitment to free markets, that's just my angle haha.

It's actually being spawned by people who are tired of the fact that the current system HEAVILY incentivizes tanking, as does the nature of basketball as a game where a team can be turned around by one individual piece.

If you don't mind tanking, then there's nothing wrong. But all these coaches and GMs and league officials keep slobbering on about how offensive it is (or denying it happens) and so I don't know how to fix their issue without removing the incentives. And the only way to remove the incentives is to decouple sucking from the best chance at the best pick.

A much less extreme proposal than getting rid of the draft would be giving every lottery team the same chance at winning so there's no reason to aim for the bottom.

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
If the major high school players went straight to the d-league instead of college, would y'all watch that on TV?

GuyIncognito

Maybe, depending on how those players are allotted. Do they just sign with whatever team they want or is there a D-league draft?

How does a HS kid end up in the DL? And how then does he move from the DL to an NBA team? Can teams draft players who aren't eligible and then assign them to their DL affiliate where they are eligible while retaining their NBA rights?

I just don't know how the system works.

But anyway, should the NBA care if people don't watch? They don't get any of CBB's TV money anyway.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
A much less extreme proposal than getting rid of the draft would be giving every lottery team the same chance at winning so there's no reason to aim for the bottom.

They did that once. Then there were conspiracy theories about frozen envelopes. :laughing:

GuyIncognito

Haha yeah, well if you can't trust the system then there is really nothing to be done aside from going full free market like SVG advocates.

But as long as the difference between finishing last and finishing 17th is the difference between LeBron James and Luke Ridnour, tanking is just the way of the world.

I mean I guess you could try levying exorbitant fines on tanking teams, but I don't even want to know what the burden of proof would have to be.

sayo

YEET
If the major high school players went straight to the d-league instead of college, would y'all watch that on TV?

I think I would be more apt to watch something like this than college basketball to be honest. Then again, I've just never gotten into the sport and much prefer the pro game.

Dr. Shats Basoon

Closed mouths don't get fed
I think I would be more apt to watch something like this than college basketball to be honest. Then again, I've just never gotten into the sport and much prefer the pro game.

Same here. Outside of watching march madness & Brasky (and only when they are doing well) college basketball sucks. NBA is much more preferable

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
Yeah, college basketball is fucking boring unless it's a close game during the NCAA Tournament. And this is coming from a guy who loves soccer, hockey, and curling.

Reel

Community Liaison

The reason I ask is because I think all it will take is for the next highly touted high school senior to hold a press conference to say he is going to the d-league instead of college and other players will follow suit. To me this also weeds out the one and dones who really can't hack it in the NBA either but have benefited from the draft lottery system and bad teams with even worse GMs who think they have to pick that player

But, if it's nothing the NBA won't make money off the TV deals, then I don't think you will see them push for something like it. I think I would be more interested in this model as well because you will really pay more attention to them and actually get to see them develop

Packfan

Administrator
Administrator
The NBA has the to make the DLeague appealing to high school kids. Moght need some better locations, than Fort Wayne and Sioux Falls. Maybe conferences or divisions in Florida and Texas so they can get away from income tax, so they don't have to make as much.

If the NBA had the one and done or two year rule they are talking about they would get enough viewers. The NBA has propped up the WNBA for years now. Can you imagine someone like Jabari Parker being signed by the Thunder but playing in playing in Tulsa for a year or two.

I imagine the franchises would much rather have these kids in their system, getting their coaching and experience. It doesn't need to be like minor league baseball, just 1 team per NBA team

Packfan

Administrator
Administrator
So in news that won't matter in May and June...

The Bulls have the best record in the NBA since January 1st. For the first time since Thibs joined the Bulls they scored over 100 points in 4 straight games.

Reel

Community Liaison
Lol @pack

And the pelicans are winless since the As break