• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2015 MLB Thread (Little things that keep you up)

osick87

Community Liaison
May go to one of or hopefully two games on the way back from a music festival at the end of July. My buddy doesn't like ball but his GF does so I may be able to get two games in. If it's one, it will likely be Wrigley over Minnesota. Minnesota has a 50/50 draw so that might be a way to talk him into both.

Wooly

OK, the draft for the Yahoo HTH fantasy league is tomorrow night, 3/29/15. Who wants to play? PM me an email, and I will have an invite sent.We need a few more Utopians for a good league.

osick87

Community Liaison
UBPdj5f.jpg

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Do curveballs actually move up after their release? I find that hard to believe.

Having thrown one, I wouldn't be surprised if it actually does hop because of the grip and release. It slides up the inside of the fingers and out the top of the grip.

Having been a batter, it certainly looks like it hops up a good amount.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Visually I always thought curve balls would almost take a hop out of the hand. I guess the way you throw them you almost have them come out over your wrist instead of a fastball that's coming straight out of your hand.

Nice job by the Cubs to send down their best position player. Great for the game/their fans who pay the third highest ticket prices in the game.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Bryant will probably be in the majors after like 2 weeks, though, right? They probably won't keep him down to save his arbitration clock for another year, I would imagine.

osick87

Community Liaison
The only reason to send him down is to save a year of service time which I think means June. I know the Rays did it with Longoria.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
According to this: http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on...ng-at-all-sides-of-the-cubs-kris-bryant-issue, he has to stay down there 9 days for the Cubs to have an extra year of control. I think bringing him up after 9 days would mean he'd get earlier arbitration.

If they only keep him down there for 2 weeks, it's a good move by the Cubs. They get an extra year out of Bryant, with little cost. Keeping him down until June would be really dumb and could cost the Cubs a shot at the playoffs.

osick87

Community Liaison
Oh okay. June is Super 2 status then I think. Either that or I made June up.

Nice research.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Yeah, I think you're right about that. It would be really dumb for the Cubs to keep him down that long. You won't have to pay him a lot for a couple of years, and there's a chance he sucks. And I'm guessing the Cubs will be more than happy to pay him a lot; they can afford it. Not worth it, considering they should be in the playoff race this year.

osick87

Community Liaison
Yeah I want to say that the Rays kept Longoria down to keep him away from Super 2. They Rays are lolpoor so it made more sense for them.

Of course I could be recalling this incorrectly.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I think you are, because, according to wiki (@CJones), he played in April in his rookie year, and signed a deal with the Rays in his rookie year that covered his arbitration years.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I'm pretty sure the Natinals kept Strasburg down in the minors until June to avoid super 2 status, though.

osick87

Community Liaison
Then maybe one after WayHome festival. Looks like Toronto, Cubs, and Brewers and maybe the White Sox all have home games when we would be travelling through the States. I should check out minor league games.

Trying to talk my buddy into doing a Wrigley (Weds 1:20 vs COL), Miller (Thurs 7:10 vs Cubs), Target (Fri 7:10 vs Seattle) 3 stadiums in 3 days tour on the way back.

Gooksta

Visually I always thought curve balls would almost take a hop out of the hand. I guess the way you throw them you almost have them come out over your wrist instead of a fastball that's coming straight out of your hand.

Nice job by the Cubs to send down their best position player. Great for the game/their fans who pay the third highest ticket prices in the game.
Cub fans are more than willing to wait 9 WHOLE games, and pay those lofty ticket prices to get to see him for another year of his prime

Gooksta

Trying to talk my buddy into doing a Wrigley (Weds 1:20 vs COL), Miller (Thurs 7:10 vs Cubs), Target (Fri 7:10 vs Seattle) 3 stadiums in 3 days tour on the way back.
DUDE!!! i might have to take a roady to Coors field to watch my cubbies

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Cub fans are more than willing to wait 9 WHOLE games, and pay those lofty ticket prices to get to see him for another year of his prime
I understand all of why they are doing it and would do it if I was Theo but to me it's just an affront to baseball and the idea that you want to win.

Kinda shocked no one has ever done this in the WBL. Ive thought about it. I should send down my SP colon for two sims next year....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gooksta

I understand all of why they are doing it and would do it if I was Theo but to me it's just an affront to baseball and the idea that you want to win.

Kinda shocked no one has ever done this in the WBL. Ive thought about it. I should send down my SP colon for two sims next year....

I waited to call up Rivera

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By

It will become popular now that contract negotiations aren't a joke.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong

What is an affront to baseball is those awful getaway game lineups the teams put out there fairly often. Going to a Sunday game with the Rockies means you could easily see 5 backups on the field to start.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator

Is it really though? What if the idea is to win long term?

I have done this pretty regularly in the WBL.