• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2015 MLB Thread (Little things that keep you up)

osick87

Community Liaison
It's 9 days. Maybe a bit longer if Epstein doesn't want to be super obvious about it. The overall season difference between Bryant and Mike Olt for those 7-15 games is going to be pretty slim. The cost is pretty low for as big of a benefit an extra year of team control can be.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I still think we should force baseball teams to always play their best players. No matter what. I want aces pitching 162 games! I didn't pay money to see the Rockies' 5th starter give up 6 runs in the first inning! I paid money to see Jorge de la Rosa pitch, dammit!

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
It's 9 days. Maybe a bit longer if Epstein doesn't want to be super obvious about it. The overall season difference between Bryant and Mike Olt for those 7-15 games is going to be pretty slim. The cost is pretty low for as big of a benefit an extra year of team control can be.

The only problem is Boras' long memory. These nine days in AAA gain the Cubs and extra year of control but increase the odds that K Bryant heads out of town the first chance he gets. If the agent was anybody but Boras.... But of course, injuries could happen, DUIs, PEDs, hookers and blow, you name it.

osick87

Community Liaison
The only problem is Boras' long memory. These nine days in AAA gain the Cubs and extra year of control but increase the odds that K Bryant heads out of town the first chance he gets. If the agent was anybody but Boras.... But of course, injuries could happen, DUIs, PEDs, hookers and blow, you name it.

I think the Cubs have enough money to say "How much for you getting butt hurt about those 9 games?"

Edit: Also what Rad said.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
The idea is to care more about 2020 than 2014?
I am not sure the Cubs cared much about 2014 :laughing:

Others have made my point, but you are talking about a couple weeks. The drop off from Bryant to Olt for two weeks is well worth it. They aren't saying screw 2015 by doing this. I also think they see 2015 as a transition year to a period of winning.

osick87

Community Liaison
Cameron made the point on the latest fangraphs podcast that even if the prospect was going to have a 10 Win season it'd still make sense to.

osick87

Community Liaison
whats the point in only 9 days being the gap?

It's just how it works out for service time for players not on the 40 man. People will say they should fix it but the Owners won't want players getting Free Agency earlier and the union won't fight too hard for people who aren't in the Union yet (Which is the case with Bryant and others like him)

osick87

Community Liaison
That I can't tell you. It's 5% of the service time max (182 days) so maybe that's how it came about.

Gooksta

Seems Cubs traded Arodys Vizcaino just in time.. 80 game suspension for ped use.. also LaStella has been a great addittion. Obp over .400 in spring training

osick87

Community Liaison
They usually do since team control is so highly valued now. This case is just higher profile.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
The season always has more days than service time. So the season probably has 190 days in it hence they have to wait 9 days so after five years he'd have 5 years, 181 days of service time (you can't accumulate more than a year in a season).

EDIT: It's 183 days in a baseball season and 172 days of service time for a year of MLB Service. I haven't looked at the Cubs schedule so I guess Bryant missing 9 games would be him missing 12 days.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
It just seems so weird, why would any team not wait?
The Bryant situation is actually pretty rare. Usually guys join the team mid-year. A lot of the guys that start the year as a rookie with zero service often get called down at some point. Or a guy will get a September call up the year before so you'd have to send someone down at least a month.

It's an extreme example too but the Giants brought up Buster Posey in 2009 as a September call up. They sent him down to start 2010 and brought him back up I believe 1-2 weeks before the normal Super 2 deadline. They ended up making the playoffs on the last day of the year and winning the WS. If they waited even an extra week or two, who knows they could've missed the playoffs.

Gooksta

I believe the super 2 date is mid June. Bryant isn't even on the 40 man yet.. so the mlbpa throwing one of their own members under the bus for k Bryant who isn't even part of their union yet is so dumb.. the guy the Cubs cut to get Bryant on the team is/ would be part of the union.

pavel

likes elk steak likes
Utopia Moderator
Am supposedly sitting in the bleachers on 6/24. Pack, let's go drinking

pavel

likes elk steak likes
Utopia Moderator
Pulse on the street is that it's about fucking time. Best team since '98 on paper...

Packfan

Administrator
Administrator
98338d66-3108-4c56-9917-3427a46b7c5b_800.jpg