Discussion in 'Pro Sports Discussion' started by NML, Oct 17, 2017.
praise be unto RUSS
Random idea that I came up with in about 5 seconds last night so I'm there are 50 holes in it but whatever...
NBA Lottery Idea:
- NBA Lottery is held February 1 (roughly 2 weeks before the trade deadline) based on the current standings at that time
- The lottery would determine who hold the top 10 picks in the draft
- Teams know in advance of the deadline exactly what picks they have available as trade assets (e.g. The Cavs KNOW the Nets 1st rounder they possess will be pick #5 rather than "The Nets 1st rounder to be determined" when negotiating a trade)
- Not sure if 10 is the exact right number, but picked it to avoid the scenario where a team that ends up making the playoffs has a lottery pick AND/OR team that was slated to make the playoffs on Feb. 1 ends up not making it.
- Teams no longer have an incentive to tank down the stretch of the season since they know where their pick will fall. There is no motivation to lose games at that point.
- Re: Point 2 of the Benefits...There is potential for a team to try and game the system by tanking the first half of the season and getting a lottery pick and then turning it on during the second half of the year.
Yes, I know this has zero idea of happening, just something fun to think about. Thoughts?
Yeah, that one drawback is the only one I can see at the moment, although depending on what division/conference they're in, turning it on for the last 30 or whatever games still might not be enough. Maybe move the trade deadline back a little?
Or people can just TRUST THE PROCESS
It would also hurt young teams who are still developing since those guys hit a wall 50 games in regularly and shouldn't be punished.
fly pelican fly
Manu hitting that shot at his age.
That Kyrie shot almost dropped too. Awesome finish.
The last 20 seconds:
As a last note, the Spurs are a ridiculous 18-8 without Kawhi Leonard.
And he's (probably) coming back Tuesday.
Extremely terrible lost for the pels
Thought it was this weekend? I'm very interested to see how he looks.
Hornets suk ass 4 dix
Alex Abrines needs more help!
thudner down by 20 to the Hornets going into the 4th quarter? wtf
Pelicans-Rox been a good game
Hornets shot 13-25 from 3.
marvin williams one game this season he wasn't a net negative
Meanwhile, Oladipo had 47 and the Pacers are 16-11
Separate names with a comma.