• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2048-49 Hot Stove (FREE AGENCY IS OPEN)

Wolfman21

feels kinda strange not really going after anyone this offseason. In the past theres always been a target or two that I would go after that was a "need". I don't really have any "needs" right now. I'm not sure if I made any moves with whats available if it would really make my team better. I just kinda got who I got.

osick87

Community Liaison
With the signing of Faz, I'm going to go after a bullpen arm or 2 and then it's just some minor league moves. I've already got a few undrafted Free agents that allow me to cut some guys I don't feel will improve.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I would like to know who these few teams are and if I'm considered one of them.
I'm more wondering why Travis thinks talent wouldnt be spoken for :laughing: we should just leave good players sitting on the streets to become Riggers.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I'm more wondering why Travis thinks talent wouldnt be spoken for :laughing: we should just leave good players sitting on the streets to become Riggers.

I'm not saying I was surprised it wouldn't be spoken for... I'm saying I was surprised that there was such a division between the haves and have-nots.

Reactions: doh

Wolfman21

I'm not saying I was surprised it wouldn't be spoken for... I'm saying I was surprised that there was such a division between the haves and have-nots.

Most of the teams that have had an owner for a while have a good bit of talent either in the WBL or in their farm system. The squads that have either had owners that don't participate or no owners at all are the ones with no talent for the most part.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Ah. That's not how it read to me. I guess it's that way at the WBL level, but most the bad teams have good systems. Then there are teams like Rad's who were CPU teams for a long time who are just shitty.

Gooksta

With the signing of Faz, I'm going to go after a bullpen arm or 2 and then it's just some minor league moves. I've already got a few undrafted Free agents that allow me to cut some guys I don't feel will improve.
Your team is looking so nice. Great job

osick87

Community Liaison
Yeah but at least it'd be you tanking. You've got a good baseball mind so I'm sure you will be successful in whichever direction you go.

You may have missed the boat of getting some value from trading Oversluizen. If he has a good season and Padilla/ Andre aren't doing well, give me a PM.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Over's ratings seemed to dip, so I'm not sure it was protection. I think average players play better when they are surrounded by great players though. That's a little different than lineup protection.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I've been telling you guys this for years. Jake turkeys play much better when they have a BTT leader, even if the BTT actually sucks. Thus the Tebow Phenomenon. Orton was a far better QB than Tebow, but he wasn't a BTT so everyone else sucked and they lost games. Tebow comes in and does his try-hard leader thing and says a few prayers and suddenly everyone is an all star. Obviously this effect is even more pronounced if you are a good player.

You guys are in trouble because I've identified and targeted two separate "Tebows" in free agency already.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
People just rag on my moves lmao. So Olarte is not good enough for 16 but neither is Inonu for 15? I'll ask Osick if he will give up kasib for 15, maybe that's worth it to the entire writing staff of fangraphs here

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
The problem is lineup protection has been proven as non-existent and OOTP is supposed to be a stats game.

conflict seeker.

I'm not tombout lineup protection, I'm talking about BTT protection. Winning begets winning and playing on a team of winners makes every Jake better.

osick87

Community Liaison
No. We thought you traded it for a 15th rounder. That's why we were perplexed.

Gooksta

People just rag on my moves lmao. So Olarte is not good enough for 16 but neither is Inonu for 15? I'll ask Osick if he will give up kasib for 15, maybe that's worth it to the entire writing staff of fangraphs here
Your trades need to go through voting approval it seems

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
I'm kinda shocked. I thought people were going to say I got fleeced for giving up 15th overall for him. I guess not.

doh

There is a giant divide between teams that can compete and that can't. There are about 2 that have a chance to spring into the "can compete" mode this year.

Most people in here think you either should be trying to win the championship or going for the 1st overall pick. There's no real middle ground. I completely disagree with this but that's just the opinion of a lot of people.

There are a couple reasons I disagree...

1. The baseball draft isn't as much of a slam dunk like NBA/NFL drafts at the top.
2. In baseball just making the playoffs gives you a shot compared to other sports. I think '16 is a lot more "anyone can win" than previous versions of OOTP.
3. I think it takes a ton of resources to get from the "can't" to "can" so like for instance Gooksta had to give up a ton of assets for Rojas/Torres to try and get into the "can" group. and
4. I don't think anyone gets nearly the value back when they just strip down the team. Yankee did an unreal job last year though. The other side of the coin is when you strip the team down to nothing, you are left with nothing to trade.
5. The budget penalties are being bad are pretty severe and limit what you can do.

osick87

Community Liaison
It's probably an even trade. If I had to guess, I'd say doh makes out better but I haven't looked into next year's draft class that much.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
There is a giant divide between teams that can compete and that can't. There are about 2 that have a chance to spring into the "can compete" mode this year.

Most people in here think you either should be trying to win the championship or going for the 1st overall pick. There's no real middle ground. I completely disagree with this (particularly in a baseball situation with an unpredictable baseball draft) but that's just the opinion of a lot of people.

Add me as another in disagreement, I just want to reverse the downward spiral my team has over the last decade. Breaking .500 in 3 seasons would be cool. Having championship as the only goal is dumb. This year's Champ has about the 5th best looking team to me, lol.

Wolfman21

Add me as another in disagreement, I just want to reverse the downward spiral my team has over the last decade. Breaking .500 in 3 seasons would be cool. Having championship as the only goal is dumb. This year's Champ has about the 5th best looking team to me, lol.

tumblr_msoddiyZsh1svcx84o1_500.gif

doh

It's probably an even trade. If I had to guess, I'd say doh makes out better but I haven't looked into next year's draft class that much.
IMO it depends on if Inonu takes a step forward age 25-28 years and plays up to his ratings. .800 OPS last year was good but at 1B it's fairly average. I could've gotten a 1B who hit more in FA but the value is him making the minimum/potential for a break out year. We will see but there is certainly risk on my end if this is another loaded draft.

osick87

Community Liaison
I also think it's gotten a bit better since we added the 4th playoff spot. It adds another 2 or 3 teams that are close to playoffs that won't completely tank.

I try to put forward the best team I can from year to year. Of course there are years I know it's not going to be great. Right now though I'm in the hunt for the ship. So that's cool.

Last edited:

Wolfman21

I also think it's gotten a bit better since we added the 4th playoff spot. It adds another 2 or 3 teams that are close to playoffs that won't completely tank.

I try to put forward the best team I can from year to year. Of course there are ears I know it's not going to be great. Right now though I'm in the hunt for the ship. So that's cool.

you actually gotta make the playoffs to be in the hunt for the ship osi

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I liked it. Hard to get much for a 1B right now. I only question if he would help you more in a couple years than #15 will. Depends how fast you think your rebuild will be.

Gooksta

Most people find rebuilding funner anyways.. you get an idea on how you want to construct a new roster or try a different overall strategy, clear the slate and try build towards that new idea..

doh

Most people find rebuilding funner anyways.. you get an idea on how you want to construct a new roster or try a different overall strategy, clear the slate and try build towards that new idea..
Eh I turn over a good portion of my roster every year. Way more funner to be in the hunt and try out different strategies at the WBL level than tank to me at least.

It is interesting to see what will happen though because OOTP 16 makes you sign FA eligible guys to legit extensions. So the whole strategy some have used of have the same roster every year because no decisions needed if you sign everyone to the moronic extensions doesn't work anymore.